Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Where or When Jr. --Paint & New Tow Vehicle--update 5/17/15

Postby myoung » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:24 am

This is the start of my build thread. The TTT is a substantially reworked version of Andrew's Compact III that I have described in preliminary terms elsewhere.

At present, I am refining the design. Here is the profile with a new color scheme that I will carry into the interior. It has a pop-up reminiscent of our old VW Westfalia Camper, but with a powered linear actuator for maximum coolness and minimal effort.

Top in the down position.

Top in the up position. The pop-up sides and front will be light-weight, UV-resistant cloth with screens and rollup covers on the inside.

Now, I am moving into the hunting and gathering phase. I've purchased some essential tools like a compound miter saw, a battery powered screwdriver, a laminate router, and a jig saw. Hope these will suffice for most of the construction and I'll lean on friends for a few other tools for some of the work.

I've been collecting equipment like a stove, a battery, a gas bottle, windows, and a sink. More stuff is enroute from UPS. I picked up the steel box and angle for the chassis last week and have the wheels in hand. Other chassis parts include the hitch coupler, the jack, and the receiver for the rear. Still waiting on the Dexter axle, which should arrive soon.

And, so the adventure begins.
Last edited by myoung on Mon May 18, 2015 12:18 am, edited 81 times in total.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Chassis...

Postby myoung » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:32 pm

The chassis comprised of 3x1.5x0.125 box section longitudinal and tongue members and 2x2x0.125 angle transverse members. The bumper is also made of angle section steel.

The length of the longitudinals is 117 inches and the width of the transverse members at each end that will be bolted to the body is 71 inches.

The longitudinal, tongue, transverse, and cross members are all on the same horizontal plane in order to keep the floor height above ground as little as possible.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Color is a personal preference; but, I liked the blue-green better than the red. Red says, "Over here! Look at me!" Blues and greens are more subtle. They say, " Ahhhhh...." :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Color is not final yet..

Postby myoung » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:15 pm

Teal is still in the running. I'm not sure I can get the shade I would like in the hard exterior finishes that will be needed. The primary colors are more generally available.

I've got plenty of time to research the subject more thoroughly. If you know of a good source for custom colored urethane paints, I'd welcome the info.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Paint...

Postby down under tech » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi Mike: Candy Teal ??? Is this what you are talking about? Teal on the bottom and white on the top? That would look good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eastwood ... 311wt_1118

Take care and good luck with your build. ;)
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Re: Paint...

Postby myoung » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 am

down under tech wrote:Hi Mike: Candy Teal ??? Is this what you are talking about? Teal on the bottom and white on the top? That would look good.

Hmm. Looks like there may be some reasonable choices in teal. I would like to pair whatever accent color I chose for the lower panels with silver grey for the upper panels in order to complement the diamond tread plate trim.

I wonder how well this paint will look if applied with a roller rather than a spray gun. Have you had success with this on wood?
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby down under tech » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:44 am

Hi Mike: I never tried it with a brush. I think it would be better sprayed though. You can try it on a scrap piece of wood to see how it looks. Silver would look good with the teal. It is your choice.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:29 pm

I have a friend who will spray it for you very affordably, if you want to go that route. :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby David S » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Youv'e really thought your plan out Mike :applause: I'm looking forward to watching your build.
David S
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Cliff,

Thanks. I really want a slick, smooth finish so spraying is probably the way to go after I do the major prep work. We'll discuss this further when the time comes.

David,

I appreciate your comments. I too am looking forward to the build. Got to do even more planning, however, and procure all the major components just to make sure I have all the right dimensions before building the wall panels.

In particular, the windows are a big deal for me. I just received 3 crank out windows from Custom RV Windows in CA and have several problems with them so I may have to continue searching.

The windows are 30x22. I thought that ordering a trim kit for a 1-inch wall thickness would result in a trim fit on the interior. Much to my disappointment, however, the windows protrude into the interior at least 3/4 of an inch. The trim just sandwiches the wall but doesn't mean the inside surface is nearly flush. Perhaps I should have tried for sliding windows where there is no mechanism except for the sliding track and screen track.

More problematic even is the fit of the crank out lower portion of the window. It is easy enough to open the window, but closing it is another matter. The frame is so tight and perhaps not straight along the bottom edge that the last half-inch of closure cannot be accomplished without pushing the window from the outside. I suppose it would be possible to bend the frame although I don't relish the thought. I could damage the frame or buckle it.

Better to find other windows, I suppose. I accepted the 30x22 size as a minimum suitable size but would really prefer something larger, at least for the two sides. The rear window could be a bit smaller in width but I like as much light and ventilation as possible.

There don't seem to be many current vendors of RV windows or my research is incomplete. Also, some are cagey about not revealing the price. I would appreciate a straightforward transaction complete with all dimensions not just height and width.

The search continues. :(
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby Weirdnerd » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:06 pm

I have seen some people using school bus windows, bought from Junkyards...just an idea.
This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:41 pm

This might be worth looking into. Jalousie windows being salvaged from an older trailer.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/zip/1993998303.html
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby myoung » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:This might be worth looking into. Jalousie windows being salvaged from an older trailer.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/zip/1993998303.html

I looked. They are both too narrow and too wide. For my use, the ideal size would be 36 x24 either crank-out, sliding, or tilt-out all with screens.

Thanks for the suggestion, Cliff. You're a much better hunter/gatherer than I.
Mike Young
myoung
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:07 pm

30 x 20 slider (pair)

http://tinyurl.com/2eukt2g

33 x 18 Jalousie

http://tinyurl.com/2b3pz5h

36 x 22 crankout

http://tinyurl.com/24u45lf
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby David S » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 am

Mike,
For what it's worth here is my thought on windows.
I liked the windows in my older 70's 80's RV's ie. crank, out better than the sliders in my 2006 I just sold.the main reason is, if it is raining and I want air,the crankouts can be opened 90% of the time.Not so with sliders, the only ones I could open were the one's under the awning.that being said,I did windup with slidders for my tear because I couldn't find the right size crank out's.
Good luck with search!
David S
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals