Chicken Taco Soup

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Chicken Taco Soup

Postby Joamon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:16 pm

So I got this new old spider skillet last week and was just itching to try it out.
After a good cleaning and a seasoning I decided to try out this recipe that I found on the cast iron forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken Taco Soup

This is normally done in a crock pot, but I don't see why you could not do it in a dutch oven. You can double it if you have a bigger DO.

I love this for the winter! It is really easy. All are pretty much open the cans and dump it into the crock pot. Makes a bunch too.

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained or see beer)
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (or use water or juice from corn see above)
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (if you want it spicy, if not, buy tom with no green chilies)
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
3-4 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts raw; frozen is okay
shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
sour cream (optional)
crushed tortilla chips (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Shred chicken with 2 forks. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
I left out the tomato sauce and the beer. I substituted a jar of fresh salsa
for the diced tomato's and chilis. We had flour tortillas and ate them like fajitas with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. Really good.
This is real easy to make, and both my daughter and myself had the same response when I pulled the lid off. Wow this looks like this belongs in a restaurant.
Sorry but the only picture didn't come out well.
Thanks and enjoy!! Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:09 am

I love the dutch oven table. :thumbsup:

Too bad the pot belly stove had to go to make room.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Joamon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:31 pm

I found that at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. I thought it would be perfect for a dutch oven table. Problem is the legs are thin and fragile. one is broken off and one is cracked, but a cinder block and a brick stacked on top are just the right height. I know you are the king of recycling. I two have done my share of dumpster diving in my day. ;)

Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:03 am

Me repurpose weird items you must be kidding..... :D

Image A yard sale sign reused as a galley wall

ImageA shipping dock handrail morfer into a trailer frame.

Imageyard sale finds.
~~ fireplace mantle as headboard / shelf $5.00
~~ little lanterns wired for 120 and 12 volt interior lights NEW at $2.75
~~ my $50.00 "plastic" (lexan) roof
~~ And Goodwill finds a $2.00 heater and a $4.00 game set
Image I really enjoy making these (well emptying the bottles is good fun anyway)!

Image And to get back on topic my tossed out to the curb projector table / dutch oven stand :thumbsup: I have since passed this little table on to one of my fellow camping buddys. and upgraded a bit....

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Joamon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:50 pm

I like your dutch oven table. Question! The dutch oven that has the lid on it with the ring. What brand is that, and was the ring already on it or did you put it on there? Reason I ask is, I bought one for my spider(not knowing it was the wrong size). Mine has no ring on it. I was wondering how it was designed to be lifted.
Anyway, what's the story on the new table? Did you cut loose with some cash on a new one? I think I might have heard the story but can't remember.
Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Back to the original post...

I just made this, substituting the diced tomatoes for a jar of salsa, and I left out the black beans. Really awesome and easy. I threw in a couple cups of rice to turn it into a stew consistency and promptly scarfed down a bowl smothered in cheese!

Gotta love one pot meals (well two pots because I added cooked rice)!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:44 pm

BobHenry, I love all the bargin stuff!

I can't wait unti I try this recipe.

I'm going to look for a dutch oven table...sure beats bending down over the DO on the ground!

Thanks all.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:10 am

parnold wrote:Back to the original post...I just made this, substituting the diced tomatoes for a jar of salsa, and I left out the black beans. Really awesome and easy. I threw in a couple cups of rice to turn it into a stew consistency and promptly scarfed down a bowl smothered in cheese!

Gotta love one pot meals (well two pots because I added cooked rice)!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sorry Paul I saw the spider skillet placed on here by the original poster and thought it was about cast iron cooking. I saw the recipe as a bonus.
We are sorry we got off track. I keep seeing the forum as a conversation among friends and as conversations some times do they turn a corner. I understand that is looked down upon by some so I will formally apologize for my transgression and start a cast iron thread about spider skillets in the cast iron section. I will answer the questions above over there.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby parnold » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:14 am

bobhenry.. I was not chastising, or criticizing. At least I didn't mean to, and it is I who owes an apology if that's how it came across. I've been here long enough to see some of the crazy paths that threads can go down.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:39 am

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby parnold » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 am

I had a t-shirt that said that, but it said "ALL my friends". :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby xcuue80 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:51 am

Very easy and tasty! Slightly spicey. We made last weekend for a football party and it was enjoyed by all. My husband just asked me to make it again...he loved it!
xcuue80
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1