Harbor Fraight Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Harbor Fraight Frame

Postby Gage » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:33 pm

Not coming into this area very much, don't know if this concern has come up. But for those that are or have built on the H/F frame. Are you lock tighting all the nuts and bolts. Might be something to consider if you haven't.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:35 pm

Gage I didn't lock tite them. They have polly lock nuts. I also spot welded them after tightening. Along with welding up all seams. just be extra careful.
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby clems » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:43 pm

I didn't locktite them either, we ended up using 4 of the cross memebers (2 to bridge the middle joint area and 2 to add 3 feet in length) and made new cross memembers out of angle iron. Then welded all the joints along with the bolts installed.
clems
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gage » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:49 pm

Hardin Valley Magic wrote:Gage I didn't lock tite them. They have polly lock nuts. I also spot welded them after tightening. Along with welding up all seams. just be extra careful.
Aw, a man with good common sense (and a little over kill to be sure). :thumbsup: I lock tight everything. There is lock tight out there today that you can brake loose easy but won't brake loose on it's own. A lot of the nylocks out there today arn't worth a da--. And to many people try and use them more than just once. Just my thoughts.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:18 pm

Gage I agree about the nylocks for sure..Hense the spot welds. And I'll do it again when I get around to building another. If I decide to sell the one I am currently building. Only time will tell.
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

HF Trailer/nuts

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:33 pm

Thanks for the wisdom, Gage... I don't know yet if I will get the HF or the TSC trailer, but will follow your advice.

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:40 pm

Julie, if you have the option...get the TS trailer...IMNSHO I think it is a far better trailer deal than the HF trailer...you can get it with no floor already titled and ready to build for around 260 bucks(+tax)..the axle sits at 37" which is just about perfect so no axle mods are necessary...that is what Len19070 used in his weekend post...go for it girl :D ;)
madjack 8)
p.s. get them two boys up off'n their butts and make 'em help ya...use a 2x4 iff'n ya haveta, it is a wonderful persuader :lol: ;)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jim Marshall » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:20 am

I am getting really serious now about starting our tear. I am having trouble finding the right trailer. Can the TS trailer be widened to 5 foot without too many problems, or would I be better off getting a 5 foot wide to start with? Do the TS trailers have 5 lug wheels on them? What I really want is a 5 X 7 trailer with 5 on 4 1/2 rims so I can use car tires and rims.
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 am

The TS trailer are welded frames so unless you want the body over the wheels you would be better off getting the five foot wide one. It'll save you loads of work. Otherwise you will have to cut all the X-members and weld in pieces then cut the axle and lengthen it. Go with the 5 footer and you'll be able to start making sawdust and taking pics right away!!!

And yes I'm almost certain they come with a 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern with 12" wheels which can be replaced with a wide variety of car/small truck wheels from the boneyard.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:32 am

I agree with nitetimes. Save yourself a lot of work and buy the 5' wide. The time you spend widening it could be spent making sawdust.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby surveytech » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:18 am

Someone on this forum ordered a 5 x 8 no floor from TSC.
Basically you have to call Carry-on and get the info then go to Tractor Supply and tell them how to order it.

The 4 x 8 uses a 2000 lb. Dexter axle with a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern.
That should make it very easy to find bearing and seals being a Dexter.

Do a search for TSC trailers and you will find lots of good info.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Spadinator » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:01 pm

I have had my trailer assembled as a cargo trailer for ten years with the nylock nuts. I just disassembled the trailer to rebuild as a teardrop and did not have one of the nuts loose. I believe in the nylocks.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Spadinator
500 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:57 pm

Thanks a bunch fellows, we am headed out to TSC here in a few minutes. My wife and I are sooooo excited to get started.

We talked to a fellow that lived in Alabama that had built his teardrop and it looked like a factory job. We told him about this website and he said he has tried several times to join but had some problem and can't seem to get in. He is a super nice guy and has help me smooth out some of my concerns about building. Is there a link I can send him so he can get in? I appreciate you guys a bunch. Thanks again.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:32 pm

Jim...all he has to do is go to http://www.mikenchell.com/forums and register
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jim Marshall » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:41 pm

Thanks Jack I will send him the link and tell him to try again.

My wife and I went to TSC today and looked at the trailer and we like it better than the Harbor Freight trailer. I spoke with the salesperson there and he said he would get a price for me tomorrow on the 5X7 trailer. I sure hope we can get the trailer so we can get started on ours real soon.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets