lighting charcoal brickets.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Kevin A » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:43 pm

"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Joamon » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:25 pm

What Kevin said? Works great! :thumbsup:
Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby firemaniac » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Joamon wrote:What Kevin said? Works great! :thumbsup:

Agreed, and if no stove or burner is available, I have had excellent results using lightly wadded newsprint under the chimney and lit whatever match or lighter is closest at hand, takes longer but works.
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:47 pm

I am a BBQ nut, and my first choice is a chimney starter with a parifin cube. Where I live, it is often too windy to safely use newspaper with the chimney starter, so I use Weber's cube starters.

I have no problem using charcoal starter, if I need to. The trick is to let the coals get a nice ash on them, so you know absolutely that there is no residual starter.

When I do slow somoking, I only start some of my charcoal, and put the red-hot coals on top of a mixture of unlit charcoal and wood chips -- a technique known as the "Minden Method" among BBQ nuts. The fire slowly spreads giving you slow and slow cooking temperatures for hours.

When I camp in nasty weather, I will often use a small bag of store brand "match light" charcoal, which has lighter fluid on it, to light a campfire quickly. It gets a coal bed going fast, so damp wood will dry out and burn.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:51 pm

ok slow get you some egg cartons paper kind unsented wax and dryer lint fill each egg hole with 3/4 full of lint and melt wax and poor over lint to top it off let them cool and cut up into cubes they are the best starters i've ever used. get a chimmy and fill it with carcoal and put 1 under coals and light go back out in about 20-30- min and its ready they don't have to be gray to be ready to cook with
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dusty82 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:26 pm

I haven't used charcoal lighter fluid in over 13 years, when I got our first chimney. If you live in an area where there's not a lot of wind, crumpled newspaper in the bottom of the chimney works great - I think I used 3 sheets, crumpled up and put into the bottom of the chimney one at a time. If you live in a high wind area like we do now, the 2-burner stove never fails.

For other fires, we use el-cheapo hand sanitizer. Most of the hand sanitizers on the market are about 62% alcohol, and they light slowly - like a charcoal lighter fluid. About 3 pumps of the dispenser is enough to get the fire going. We use it every morning to light our pellet stove, and at about $1 a pint, it beats paying $8 a quart for pellet stove lighter gel, which is nothing more than gelled alcohol.
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby Mightydog » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:39 pm

We don't use a chimney from the store. We use a coffee (large) can like this:

I usually like to put a loop of wire to act like a handle. When the briquets get up to speed, I pull the chimney off using a stick or something mostly fireproof. When the can wears out, we recycle it and start with another. If it gets lost while we're camping, I make another. They're cheap and work like the 'real' ones from the store.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Why is nobody CONCERNED bout lightin CHARCOAL in a confined place ( ie Shop ) That stuff needs to be OUTSIDE and NEVER inside. "serious injury or death could occur !

NEVER NEVER NEVER burn charcoal bricketts INSIDE...EVER !!
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:56 pm

canned o minimum wrote:Why is nobody CONCERNED bout lightin CHARCOAL in a confined place ( ie Shop ) That stuff needs to be OUTSIDE and NEVER inside. "serious injury or death could occur !

(Unless you're talking about a woodstove with a stovepipe)
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:04 pm

ONLY if that stove is AIR TIGHT ! Even then "I" wouldn't take the chance ! But I ain't cho mama...

They say , If ya ain't livin on the edge..yer takin up too much space...

Forest Gump would say...

Well he sure said a lotta thangs...Pick one !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:15 pm

? Are you saying that charcoal is more dangerous than wood? I hadn't heard that, but I've only burned wood in a woodstove.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Zollinger » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 pm

canned o minimum wrote:Why is nobody CONCERNED bout lightin CHARCOAL in a confined place ( ie Shop ) That stuff needs to be OUTSIDE and NEVER inside. "serious injury or death could occur !

Who said we are starting it inside?
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:08 pm

YES ! Charcoal IS more dangerous than wood ! Ask ANY fireman how many people he has pulled out DEAD from a fireplace fire....Then ask how many were dead with a charcoal fire INSIDE !

Butchu don't hafta listen to ME...go ahead and start a charcoal fire in YER home or garage or shop...people jump outta perfectly good airplanes all the time too...but you only git ONE chance to be wrong at either one...Who am "I" to tell anybody what to do ?

Ignorance is bliss till sumbody loses an eye...Muahahahaha !!
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:52 pm

A little Russian roulette never killed anybody, but then "I" don't heat the place with a wood stove either.
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 pm

canned o minimum wrote:A little Russian roulette never killed anybody, but then "I" don't heat the place with a wood stove either.

mmmm When you burn wood in a wood stove you are left with the coals burning. And the embers are Charcoal burning.

Charcoal is burnt wood. I can't for the life of me see how that can be dangerous. We do it every night in the winter in the wood burning fireplace.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Next

Return to Camping Secrets