lighting charcoal brickets.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Joamon wrote:What Kevin said? Works great! :thumbsup:
Keith

+2 :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Sonetpro wrote:
canned o minimum wrote:A little Russian roulette never killed anybody, but then "I" don't heat the place with a wood stove either.

mmmm When you burn wood in a wood stove you are left with the coals burning. And the embers are Charcoal burning.

Charcoal is burnt wood. I can't for the life of me see how that can be dangerous. We do it every night in the winter in the wood burning fireplace.

It's not dangerous, in a fireplace with a chimney. A charcoal fire in a house with no chimney would do the job of killing a person. As in, lighting a charcoal fire in a grill in the kitchen.

Of course, lighting a wood or charcoal fire in my badly designed and built fireplace would be a bad idea, which is why I have gas logs. A wood fire would not kill me, but the house would smell like a BBQ pit for weeks.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:32 pm

"Fools go where angels fear to go." " You can lead a horse to water"...

"I jus cannot think of ONE advantage to burnin charcoal in a stove....but then..."I" don't heat my place wit a stove...
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 pm

canned o minimum wrote:"Fools go where angels fear to go." " You can lead a horse to water"...

"I jus cannot think of ONE advantage to burnin charcoal in a stove....but then..."I" don't heat my place wit a stove...

Did I miss something here?? What stove are you talking about?? An indoor house stove?? OR....a camp stove with a charcoal chimney on top with coals in it?? Which is done OUTSIDE, not INDOORS. I've lit my chimney on my CAMP stove many, many times - outside.

Or are you talking about burning it as a fuel in a wood burning stove?? :roll:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby TheresaD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:24 pm

Becca.... I believe Canned O is expressing his concern over the fact that cowboy uses charcoal in his coal/wood type stove which is inside his shop. (Although I'm imagining that there is a chimney going from this stove to the outside of the building). I haven't quite gathered yet what the actual consequences of burning charcoal in such a stove are as of yet though - only that one shouldn't do it aparrently.... Does it burn hotter? Are there some sort of fumes that the chimney wouldn't handle? Need a little clarification here... :thinking:

As to the other part of the discussion... Some folks were discussing the ease of starting their charcoal briquettes Outside with a charcoal chimney/coffee can on their coleman (or similar) stoves on windy days or with newspaper etc. on calmer days... Either way the charcoal lighting was happening outside.... I'm pretty sure.... I think..... :?
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:33 am

I am jus concerned that charcoal is notoriuos fer givin off dangerous "fumes". Bein a former home fire alarm guy and NOT a scientist..the carbon fumes( not sure if co2 or co ) are only DEADLY.

"I" certainly would NOT take ANY chance with charcoal INSIDE under ANY circumstance. Fer me..it ain't worth the risk.

Maybe I'm a little ..."chicken little"bout it, but it sure sounds dangerous to me.( to burn charcoal INSIDE )

Here's to yer health...
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:59 am

Here is the answer to why it is unsafe in a fireplace !

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the Barbecue Industry Association, warns consumers about the danger of misusing charcoal briquettes. During the past seven years, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has learned of 83 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning occurring as a result of people burning charcoal briquettes in an enclosed area.

Some of the victims were campers who burned the charcoal to keep warm inside a tent or camper. Others were hunters who burned the charcoal inside their trucks, cars, or vans. In January of this year, a family attending the pose Parade in Pasadena, California, died when they brought an outdoor gill with a charcoal fire into their van apparently to keep themselves warm. In several home related incidents, victims die from carbon monoxide poisoning after they burned charcoal in a bedroom or living room for heat or cooking.

Current Commission regulations require two highly visible warning labels at the top of every bag of charcoal briquettes. The warning labels identify the hazard of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, odorless, invisible gas. Some symptoms of acute CO poisoning are headache, confusion, dizziness, nausea and, at high enough concentrations, loss of consciousness. Consumers may not realize that burning charcoal produces large amounts of carbon monoxide and that it only takes a small amount of CO in the air to produce symptoms of CO poisoning and even death. Opening a window or using a fan will not assure that CO gas will be reduced to safe levels.

Burning the charcoal in a fireplace can also be hazardous because it is questionable whether a charcoal fire will create a chimney draft sufficient to assure that CO will be exhausted to the outside. Because CO is not visible, and is odorless, consumers may not be aware that carbon monoxide is accumulating.

The Commission and the Barbecue Industry Association urge that consumers not use charcoal to cook or to provide heat inside a tent, camper, van, car, truck, home, mobile home, or other enclosed area. To report any potential product related hazards, consumers should call the CPSC Hotline at 800-638-CPSC. The teletypewriter number for the hearing-impaired is (301) 595-7054.

I would not be concerned in a properly vented and properly maintained wood or coal burning stove as it is sized so the vent is several times larger than the inlet air unlike a large open faced fireplace This wood appliance design assures any off gassing will be vented to the outside.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:07 am

PHEW ! Finally sum clarification..."I" have never been accused of bein "smart". Glad THAT is over with.
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:16 pm

T, yea, I was a little confused as to what they were talking about since the conversation jumped all over from inside, outside, stove, etc. Anyway, we got it straight.

I wouldn't light charcoal indoors period! Not even in a garage with the garage door wide open - just not safe. We have a screened in pool with a patio under cover. My husband won't even let me bbq inside there even though it's all basically open air. He says NO!...so I don't. The fumes are just too toxic so why take a chance.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Wisdom, like common sense..it ain't so common any more. You are wise beyond yer years !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:28 pm

canned o minimum wrote:Wisdom, like common sense..it ain't so common any more. You are wise beyond yer years !

:yes: True, true! But it took years of bumps and bruises and a few butt whoopin's from my dad to finally "wise" me up. :lol:
Last edited by CAJUN LADY on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm

And ya STILL prolly never killed nobody along the way neither...

My Dad didn't spare the rod on us kids and none of us is a child molester or bank robber or the like...
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TheresaD » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:49 pm

I never knew about the increased risk of carbon monoxide fumes with charcoal. Bob Henry thanks for that explanation. I don't use charcoal very often but it's good to know this info for when I do. :thumbsup:
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby boomboomtulum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:07 pm

This story should fit here somewhere in this thread since were on the BBQ inside discussion.

Several years ago my neighbor was Grilling with his hibachi inside on the floor watching TV, he had the front and rear doors open for ventilation (so that makes it OK?) when my Dog at the time ran in the front door grabbed his grilling steak off the grill and ran out the back door. I could here yelling next door and went outside to see my dog run around my house with steck in mouth, through the gate and into his dog house in the backyard, my neighbor was pissed :x :x he told me the story and i had to laugh at him which made him even more angry. Anyway years later he still talks about it now laughing with me.
Dave
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=37109

Have'nt been everywhere yet, but it's on my list.
boomboomtulum
Teardrop Master

co

Postby doitright » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Something to think about is the co builds up in you blood over time. You do not only have to breath it as it can be adsorbed by the skin also. So small amount of co in your camper for a weekend may not get you but over several weekends it may. The best thing to do is get a co detector. If it goes off get out and get some other heat. I always try things to heat my rear door Scotty and always have my wally world co detector in there with a good battery. My wife said a $20.00 detector is cheaper than a $5000. casket.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets