Trailer or Camper?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer or Camper?

Postby krang469 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm

I read someplace in the forum to register as a trailer and not as a camper. I'm going to register as a trailer but would like to know what the difference is for future reffence.
That which doesn't kill you leaves a bunch of scars and hurts when the weather changes.
krang469
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:30 pm

If ya gotta explain what the box is on top of the trailer they tend to get a little confused. Just makes things go a lot smoother by keeping it simple for them.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Gage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:31 pm

That's an open question. It all depends on what your States DMV laws are. Every state is different. So you shouldn't listen to anyone except those that are from New York. In Calif, mine is reg. as a camp trailer because it's under 15' and is not self contained.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby krang469 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:39 pm

Keep it simple huh. Works for me! :D
That which doesn't kill you leaves a bunch of scars and hurts when the weather changes.
krang469
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:52 pm

My first tear is registered as a travel trailer so I have to buy tags every 2 years and my second tear is registered as a utility trailer which has permanant tags( a one time fee). Thgats here in Arizona
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:38 pm

Like that, it depends on the state DMV codes. Like I said, mine is reg as a 'camptlr with a PTI sticker.

Have a good day.
8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:09 pm

Nice license plate.

In Utah, a utility or boat trailer weighing less than 750 unlaiden does not require any licensing at all. The question is, if you take an HF trailer and put a 800 lb. box on it, does it still qualify as a utility trailer? For something like $26 a year, it's licensed and you don't have to worry about the answer.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Postby Spadinator » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:59 pm

Here is the Utah code that regulates registration. This is the section for exemptions from registration.

41-1a-202. Definitions -- Vehicles exempt from registration -- Registration of vehicles after establishing residency

(2) Registration under this chapter is not required for any:

(h) trailer of 750 pounds or less unladen weight and not designed, used, and maintained for hire for the transportation of property or person

these are ofcourse excerpts from the whole code!!! :D

the only exception to this is a tandem axle trailer, all tandems have to be registered regardless of unladen weight.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Spadinator
500 Club

Postby Patrik » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:24 am

In Belgium you can build wathever you want a trailer or glosed trailer or a tear,If you keep it under 750 kilograms,that's about 1660 lbs you don't have problem but when you go over that weight than you need a constructors licence. and you have to let it check every year when it's a trailer or when it's a camper they want to check it every 2 years.
Greetzzz,
Patrik. 8)
Hell was full, so I came back.
Patrik
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets