snow bike

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

snow bike

Postby Fenlason » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Availability has been tight, so I was not sure If I would be able to get anything this season... but I got lucky and timed it just right.

We have 2 Surly Pugslys on order. We should get them next week.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley_complete/
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:36 pm

I once went for a ride at -20F and found out that conventional oils in the freewheel will seize up, you cant stop pedaling, so I didn't. I now use synthetic grease.
I also have winter canoed (has to be flowing fast enough to keep from freezing).
Looks like an interesting bike, but i will wait till spring :relaxing:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I once went for a ride at -20F and found out that conventional oils in the freewheel will seize up, you cant stop pedaling, so I didn't. I now use synthetic grease.
I also have winter canoed (has to be flowing fast enough to keep from freezing).
Looks like an interesting bike, but i will wait till spring :relaxing:

sometimes they freeze up so they don't catch.. and freewheel in both directions..

I have a bit of winter riding experience.. these bikes will just allow a wider snow condition range we can ride in.

Our secret to winter paddling.. was salt water.. :lol:

We have sea kayaked in every month of the year... :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Re: snow bike

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Fenlason wrote:Availability has been tight, so I was not sure If I would be able to get anything this season... but I got lucky and timed it just right.

Nice! I was lusting over the Pugsly myself back when you first told us about them months ago. I thought it would be the ultimate beach bike.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: snow bike

Postby Fenlason » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
Fenlason wrote:Availability has been tight, so I was not sure If I would be able to get anything this season... but I got lucky and timed it just right.

Nice! I was lusting over the Pugsly myself back when you first told us about them months ago. I thought it would be the ultimate beach bike.

thanks.. :D

yeah they would be sweet on sand also...... :thumbsup:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby SteveF » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:40 am

yeah they would be sweet on sand also...

Oh yeah...

http://www.freespiritwear.com/hopehomer.html

Every time I read about Pugsleys I want one even though I have no need for such a thing! They're just cool...

They wouldn't really work for winter where I live because we get too many freeze/thaw cycles so there's often as much ice as snow--studded tires are typically a better choice.

Most winters I just pedal the couch and get fat.
SteveF
Teardrop Master

Postby elmo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:56 am

I will be requiring a full review!!

Been thinking about building one up also!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:25 am

elmo wrote:I will be requiring a full review!!

Did you know they also have it available as a complete bike. I opted for that as a start to see how I like it. Then I might alter it some.. or start over completely. Dirt drops might be nice on it.

Did you know that Salsa has a nice one out now? I sort of liked the looks of that one better, but availability right now seems worse on that.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby elmo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:15 am

Fenlason wrote:

Did you know they also have it available as a complete bike. I opted for that as a start to see how I like it. Then I might alter it some.. or start over completely. Dirt drops might be nice on it.

Did you know that Salsa has a nice one out now? I sort of liked the looks of that one better, but availability right now seems worse on that.

I would probally go the whole bike route also...my stock pile of parts isn't at where it would need to be to justify a frameset.

I seen the Salsa one...it is nice, but for some unknown reason that I can't figure out I have become a Surly fan!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:21 am

elmo wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

I would probally go the whole bike route also...my stock pile of parts isn't at where it would need to be to justify a frameset.

I seen the Salsa one...it is nice, but for some unknown reason that I can't figure out I have become a Surly fan!

Surly is cool also... no arguments there.

Vicious Cycle makes custom ones.. I love the name.. and they do make nice bikes.. but a frame would cost me considerably more than the full Surly bike.. and right now I can't justify it.

and thankfully the Pug has another color this year. I don't think I could have done... last years color.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Greg M » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:00 pm

A whole bike? Naah! Just get one of these. :lol:

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Fenlason » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:07 pm

Greg M wrote:A whole bike? Naah! Just get one of these. :lol:

-Greg

I already have one... 8) :roll:

they look interesting.. I am not sure..

they would not work now.. or in spring.. where in some places you have a bit of snow.. and in others.. you have bare ground.. :thinking:
actually the ones with 2 skis for pure downhill "running" looks like a blast also...

One can never have too many bikes... 8)
Last edited by Fenlason on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby drafter » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:39 pm

I have had the pleasure to see a Pugsley up close and personal. The owner rides it all winter on snowmobile trails and absolutely loves doing it. When I talked to him last winter it was like -10 degrees. Too diehard for me.
drafter
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sabby » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:35 am

Do you guys seriously cycle in the snow? Thats insane. Do you get studded tyres for bicycles?
That Pug, is it 26inch? Do they do a 29'er? I saw the site, but did not really read through the specs.
What clothing do you wear to ride in minus 20? The coolest ride I have ever done is minus 2degrees centigrade! (32 fahrenheit!) And that was way too cold for me!
Sabby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:43 am

Hi Sabby..

Yes we ride in the snow. We started in the mid to later 80's. It did require the right conditions.. we would ride on snowmobile trails, and they had to be fairly frozen in order to do it. We made our own studded tires. Nokian does now make studded tires also, and if it was not to icy... they are faster.

At some point we started riding on a friends farm pond. He used to plow a track on it. That required very different tires, and grippier studs. We now also race at an indoor hockey rink.

The Pugs [and similar bikes] will allow you to ride in a much wider range of snow conditions. The rims are a standard 26" diameter [they of course are much wider] but with these tires they are huge..with the size and air volume, they are as tall as a 29er. So it is sort of a 29er already.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Next

Return to Bicycles