TSC Trailer Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

TSC Trailer Question

Postby IndyTom » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:42 pm

I have been looking at building a 2+2 from Angib's site. The plans include drawings for making a custom trailer. The width between the side rails is 53 inches. Im looking for an opinion. Would a 48" trailer be too narrow, or am I just thinking too hard. It is just a 2.5 inch difference on each side. The body of the 2+2 extends over the wheels, with wheel wells framed up inside. those dimentions would change some also. Thanks.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Chip » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:08 am

Tom, my first trailer had a 54" wide frame and also a 54" wide box mounted to it,, it worked out real good, now I am building another and this one has a 41" wide frame with a 48: box mounted to it and it is stable as the first,,, At some magical point you can pull the spring mounts too close together and create a problem but in what you are talking about doing its my opinion that you will not have any problem at all,, also with that design you can drop the sides down a little and hide the frame,,,

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: TSC Trailer Question

Postby goldcoop » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:18 am

IndyTom wrote:I have been looking at building a 2+2 from Angib's site. The body of the 2+2 extends over the wheels, with wheel wells framed up inside. those dimentions would change some also. Thanks.

Tom-

I'm not sure why more builders don't build over the wheels!

You pick up valueable interior space, don't have to buy expensive fenders!

Boxing in wheel wells isn't difficult...

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:17 am

Tom,

I've tried both, they each have advatages and disadvantages.

Fenders look cool!
Fenders tend to catch on things.
No fenders makes it harder to see behind you.
Having more space is nice.
More space means more weight.
More space means you can bring more stuff.
Having more stuff means less time to relax.
Having too much time to relax leaves you wishing you has more stuff.

Gee, this could go on for a long time... :thinking:

Both designs can be the perfect solution, just need to decide which is best for Tom.

A few refrigerator, or appliance boxes cut and taped into the approximate shape can help solve a lot of mysteries.

I can't count all the hours I've spent sitting, pondering inside a mockup...

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:52 pm

I had a chance to look at the TSC trailer today. I believe it will fit the 2+2. I think I want to have the axle lengthened a few inches though. The plans spec a 67" distance between hub faces. The smallest TSC trailer was just 65 inches from outside to outside of the wheels. the interior wheel wells will cut into sleeping space for me and mama if I dont move them out a bit. I also think I will need a longer tongue, but I will wait and take care of that last, since the tongue is just a piece of 2X2 tubing bolted to the frame. Now Im just waiting for bonus time and the tax refund. Then I can start building.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets