These are my rides jumping in with both feet

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

These are my rides jumping in with both feet

Postby Kursac » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 am

I thought I would come over & say hello since I put down a lot of miles on my bicycles

This is my Trek FX 7.2 set up for touring and rainy days. I love this bike & have had it for about 4 or 5 years now. Butterfly trekking bars really made a difference on long rides with this bike. I have since moved the aero bars to the road bike. My commute is 23 miles each direction.

This is my latest acquisition. It is a Specialized Elite, Aluminum frame and carbon fork. I was considering all carbon but I do all my miles commuting and wanted brazeons for my Topeak rack system.

I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MountainBiker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:22 pm

I would love to commute everday, but my work has no shower facilities and I work in the office so thats not a good fit.

I've got three bikes. A Trek Madone 4.7 for road riding, a Cannondale Epic for Mountainbiking, and a Cannondale Optima for hacking around on. The last one is Aluminum frame and carbon fibre forks, and with the proper seat is very comfortable...but the one I ride most is the Trek 4.7
I quit society when I found out toothpicks came with instructions
MountainBiker
The 300 Club

Postby Kursac » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:58 am

MountainBiker wrote:I would love to commute everday, but my work has no shower facilities and I work in the office so thats not a good fit.

I've got three bikes. A Trek Madone 4.7 for road riding, a Cannondale Epic for Mountainbiking, and a Cannondale Optima for hacking around on. The last one is Aluminum frame and carbon fibre forks, and with the proper seat is very comfortable...but the one I ride most is the Trek 4.7

I am the operations manager of my division and we do not have showers here either. I work in an office setting as well. I do keep a change of cloths at work. If you shower in the morning before you ride in your good. I do 23 miles and just wipe down and change my cloths and re apply deodorant.
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Welcome Charie :D

as you can see this section does not always get much "traffic"...
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Kursac » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:35 pm

yea but it is the off season
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fenlason » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:34 pm

Kursac wrote:yea but it is the off season

there shouldn't be any such thing..

I have ridden the last 3 days.. :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby JuneBug » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:02 am

Texas is great because there is no off season for riding!
Congratulations on sticking with your commute and your stellar touring set up.

Started bike commuting again after not too many rides to work this fall. It is astounding how much less traffic there is when school is out -- The roads have a bit of a deserted feel. I pass three elementary schools and very close to two high schools on my 9-mile commute. I see very few kids being walked by their parents to school, but a zillion parents dropping the kids off at the front door of the school.
Have seen some boys (looked about 5th grade age) on bikes (yeah!) but not wearing helmets (yikes! -- it is actually against the law for younger kids to ride helmet-less in Austin, TX).

True Confession: I am actually a half commuter. I have a lovely route into work in the morning with most miles having a small but dedicated bike lane on low to medium traffic density streets. At the end of the day, I ride over to the commuter rail station (12 minutes) and then get off at the stop closest to my house and ride home--another 10 or 12 minutes.

By scouting around the train stop, I found a back way across some grass, through a line of trees, scooooch between a building and a water retention pond and into the adjacent industrial/business park. The giant parking lot is mostly deserted by the time I'm there, so scoot on through, cross one very busy street, and I'm in my 'hood! This back route avoids a multi-lane extremely busy street, so it works well.

I'm a total morning person so this works great. By the end of the day, I just want to be a homebody snug in my house. I'm also over 60, so I don't have another 9 miles in me by the end of the day!
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby Fenlason » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:41 pm

JuneBug wrote:Texas is great because there is no off season for riding!
Congratulations on sticking with your commute and your stellar touring set up.

Started bike commuting again after not too many rides to work this fall. It is astounding how much less traffic there is when school is out -- The roads have a bit of a deserted feel. I pass three elementary schools and very close to two high schools on my 9-mile commute. I see very few kids being walked by their parents to school, but a zillion parents dropping the kids off at the front door of the school.
Have seen some boys (looked about 5th grade age) on bikes (yeah!) but not wearing helmets (yikes! -- it is actually against the law for younger kids to ride helmet-less in Austin, TX).

True Confession: I am actually a half commuter. I have a lovely route into work in the morning with most miles having a small but dedicated bike lane on low to medium traffic density streets. At the end of the day, I ride over to the commuter rail station (12 minutes) and then get off at the stop closest to my house and ride home--another 10 or 12 minutes.

By scouting around the train stop, I found a back way across some grass, through a line of trees, scooooch between a building and a water retention pond and into the adjacent industrial/business park. The giant parking lot is mostly deserted by the time I'm there, so scoot on through, cross one very busy street, and I'm in my 'hood! This back route avoids a multi-lane extremely busy street, so it works well.

I'm a total morning person so this works great. By the end of the day, I just want to be a homebody snug in my house. I'm also over 60, so I don't have another 9 miles in me by the end of the day!

Maine has no off season for biking either... :roll:

It just takes different equipment and clothing.. :thinking:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Sabby » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 am

Hi there...
You guys are so blessed to be able to commute to work! I live in South Africa, and here the cyclist is seen as a pest. We only have one city so far that is making an effort to promote commuting, and that is Cape Town. From what I understand, the cyclist only paths are nearing completion. And in all honesty there are few cities in the world as pretty as Cape Town to cycle in.

But a round trip of 46miles a day is a really decent daily ride! How good are your drivers with regards to cycling awareness?

I stay just south of Johannesburg, and my daily training route literally takes me past a Safari Park. Had a few occassions where I have bonked with about 10miles left to ride, and had to turn around and take the long route home because Babboons have blocked the roads! You never mess with a troop of Babboons!
Sabby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:44 am

Fenlason wrote:Welcome Charie :D

as you can see this section does not always get much "traffic"...

Small, yes. But we are a devoted group. :thumbsup:

There are others that just haven't chimed in yet. Mike (T&TTT originator) is an avid cyclist too.

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:23 pm

I have Avid brakes on a few of my bikes also.. :thumbsup: :lol:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Oasis Maker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Fenlason wrote:I have Avid brakes on a few of my bikes also.. :thumbsup: :lol:

Badum (Rim shot) :lol:
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Oasis Maker wrote:
Fenlason wrote:I have Avid brakes on a few of my bikes also.. :thumbsup: :lol:

Badum (Rim shot) :lol:

actually 2 bikes with Avid mechanical discs.. 2 bikes.. with Avid hydraulic discs.. and least 2 bikes with the old Avid Tri Align canti brakes.. and I suspect I have some of their linear pull brakes.. :D
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 pm

I have the Avid BB5 brakes, and I love them.

I also have the Shimano Hydraulic brakes, and for some reason they don't have quite the same stopping power... nor do they feel as silky!!! :?

Mike...

P.S. No one can compete with Glenn.!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: These are my rides jumping in with both feet

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Kursac wrote:

Charlie,

What is that thing that looks like an ipod?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bicycles