???How big is your coffee pot???

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

???How big is your coffee pot???

Postby Big Dan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:58 pm

"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Re: ???How big is your coffee pot???

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:50 am

Wow! 36 cups. She's a beaut! Looks like a nice choice for a percolator that you use on your propane stove.

As the new Great Lakes Chapter director for Tear Jerkers, I like to have morning coffee and bull sessions at my campsite since it is a great way to start every morning, especially on Sundays when otherwise, people would tend to drift out of the campgrounds back to their homes and not interact very much. I did quite a bit of research and in the end, I bought an Aroma Stainless Steel 40-cup Coffee Urn on Overstock.com for $55.99 (free shipping at the time). Amazon.com sells them too. This is an electric perculator. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K4 ... SR5FVFR46X. Several good points about this particular model. First, there is an external gauge to show you how much coffee is left in the urn so you know when you will be running out. Many urns, even more expensive ones, don't always have this convenient and important feature. Also, it handles 40 cups, which is a nice size. Of course, "one cup" of coffee is meant to be 6 fluid ounces in an 8 ounce styrofoam cup, which means you are getting about 240 ounces (1.9375 gallons). I've used this for one of my gatherings thus far and I had perhaps 4 or 5 cups left at the end of the morning for 12 or 13 people. On average, most people had two cups of coffee using their own coffee cups (of varying capacities). In addition, this model has a double wall for great insulation. While it will keep the coffee piping hot for hours after you make it (if you keep it plugged in), even after being unplugged, the coffee stayed pretty warm and very drinkable for quite a while because of the double wall. The double wall also means you can touch it without getting badly burned as you would with single walled perculators. Finally, it was reasonably fast. Most coffee urns say that for every cup you're making, it will take one minute to heat the water. I think this one was closer to 25-30 minutes for 40 cups but I wasn't timing it.
My co-director, Scuba Jeff, also has a similar coffee maker. As our gatherings get larger, we can use both of them to keep the coffee flowing all morning long without any interuptions.
Karl
Tear Jerkers Director - Great Lakes Chapter
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby Big Dan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 am

That urn is a great idea. I thought it would be nice to be able to hook up my fellow campers with their first cup of joe of the day. When camping I like to be the first one up in the morning,get the fire going make coffee and start the bacon. There are few smells better than coffee and bacon floating through the campground in the morning.
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby caseydog » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:01 pm

I can drive everyone to Starbucks for less than 105 bucks. :lol:

Here's an electric one for $89...

http://www.acemart.com/prod3919.html

Or, what the heck, go big or go home :lol: ...

http://www.acemart.com/prod3921.html

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Big Dan wrote:I like to be the first one up in the morning,get the fire going make coffee and start the bacon. There are few smells better than coffee and bacon floating through the campground in the morning.

Saturday morning at SouthCentral gatherings means dutch oven breakfasts at the Ravillians' site, with a big urn of coffee brewed by Dave Lovelace (Davel).

I've been thinking about getting another urn, as Dave brews flavored coffees, (or as I call then, FuFu coffees). :lol:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Big Dan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:22 pm

I was asking about the size not the price. I wouldn't pay that much for a coffee pot either. ;)
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Big Dan wrote:I was asking about the size not the price. I wouldn't pay that much for a coffee pot either. ;)

Big Dan,
Yes, the one you first mentioned is a nice size perculator for a small-to-mid sized group (under 15 people). Any larger of a group and you'll have some down time as you perc your next pot. While the one you pointed out is not cheap, the price might be well worth it if you were going to non-electric campgrounds. If you are always at modern campgrounds, I'd consider something along the lines of what I described above.
Karl
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby Big Dan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:45 pm

caseydog wrote:I can drive everyone to Starbucks for less than 105 bucks. :lol:

I was thinking about that and a trip to starbucks with $105 in your pocket would only net you about 20 to 25 coffees + gas and time. I want something I don't have to plug in.
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby Dusty82 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:35 pm

I thought this was a cool set up.

http://www.mrdutchoven.com/Products/ca034.htm

I first saw one in August at the Nevada State Fair when we helped judge the Dutch Oven competition. One of the teams offered coffee with their dessert entry, and used a pot similar to this.

As to the $100 price tag, sometimes the "cool factor" is worth it. 8)
Last edited by Dusty82 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Dusty82 wrote:I thought this was a cool set up.

I first saw one in August at the Nevada State Fair when we helped judge the Dutch Over competition. One of the teams offered coffee with their dessert entry, and used a pot similar to this.

As to the $100 price tag, sometimes the "cool factor" is worth it. 8)

That Cowboy Coffee Set 36 Cup Boiler Coffee Pot is way cool!

100.00 + 34.00 s&h is pretty steep but it will be the talk of the coffee crowd at any campgrounds.
Karl
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Big Dan wrote:I was thinking about that and a trip to starbucks with $105 in your pocket would only net you about 20 to 25 coffees + gas and time. I want something I don't have to plug in.

Either the one you originally showed or the one Dusty82 mentioned would be great to have if you need a non-electric unit, albeit they are not cheap.

As a side note, the instructions on my 40-cup electric percolator specifically say that once the coffee is brewed to remove the basket containing the coffee grounds or else the grounds will slowly leak "bitter oil" into the coffee. I didn't know that.
Last edited by Karl on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Tea!

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Tea. Teabag, hot water, done!

Different strokes for different folks, ha!

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: Tea!

Postby Karl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:51 am

eamarquardt wrote:Tea. Teabag, hot water, done!

Different strokes for different folks, ha!

Cheers,

Gus

"Different Strokes..." is very true. As a chapter director for Tear Jerkers, I typically have a dozen or more people to serve coffee to every morning at our gatherings so I need something with a large capacity that is fast and easy to deal with. If it weren't for that, I would simply put my 20-ounce stainless steel perculator on the propane stove and make coffee just for myself and my girlfriend.

Gus, BTW, I watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still" the other night for the first time in a few years. What a great movie.
Karl
Karl
Silver Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:50 pm

Just teasing "youse guys"about your coffee "habit"! I've had exactly 1/2 cup of coffee in my life. We were in the field, it was butt cold, snowing, and coffee was the only hot drink my uncle (USMC) was serving. Used most of it to warm my hands, ha.

The original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was GREAT. Good plot, good writing, good actors, some cool (especially for the day) special effects, and NO CGI! Plus is was made the same year I was born. The remake was a POS IMHO!

I just love the lines (re: the approximations/changes Klatu made to the professor's equation):

Professor Barnhardt: Have you tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to another.

Sometimes "close enough" is "close enough".

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:56 pm

:shock: $100...OH MY! :lol: I have a free drip maker. Got it at Macy's with the rebate it cost nothing. Ditto the Gevalia maker. I have a coffee press for when I don't have electricity. The last time I camped in a non-electric site I took the thing to the bath and plugged it in. 8) Started a trend.. :R :thumbsup: Way back when, I used to throw the coffee in the pot and strain it when done. :D

And folks they make coffee single serving bags.. ;)

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to User Polls