Whitney's Weakender - Hatch / Galley Lid Redesign - Pg 11

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Whitney's Weakender - Hatch / Galley Lid Redesign - Pg 11

Postby WhitneyK » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Well, I've been researching and phyco analizing everything for a while now. I have decided on the 4? x 8 Weekender style: 1) easier to build with squared edges, 2) a little more modern looking, because 3) my wife likes this style a little better.

As suggested, we looked at our needs, wants, and desires. After being disappointed on 2 out of 3 due to funding issues, we stuck with needs. We don't really "set up camp" when we stop for the night, just a place to sleep like has been said "where you know the sheets are clean". Since we don't stay long in one spot we don't do any cooking, one meal a day and we're good to go. A place to store our luggage would be nice, getting in & out of those top mounted rack bags can be a pain.

With all that being said, I am using Mikes Weekender drawings (Thanks Mike!) and have taken a lot of very useful information from Mark (& Cindi)'s Little Swiss Teardrop site (Thanks Mark (& Cindi)!). The 80" should be sufficent floor space to sleep in (I'm 6'4 - 200#, she's 5'2 - you don't think I'm stupid do you!#)

I have a very limited budget, so I am having to do the best I can with what I've got. For starters I will be using a sandwich wall design - 1/4ply-1x's-luan. I was going to use luan inside and out since I am intending to skin with metal, however, my thinking is; if I want to attach something (lights, etc) on the outside I need something to screw into. For the 1x material I am ripping down the lumber I have on hand with a table saw (my time's cheap).

I know where there are a couple of old house trailers sitting in the woods I may try to convince the owners to "donate" the siding to my cause. My neighbor, who is a fellow pack-rat & "junk" collector is now joining my pursuit in search of "usable, cheap or free" items for my build. He may even "donate" (I'm sure it will cost me something) some windows out of an old camper shell (ya, that's what they called 'em back then, not "toppers"). He has a '67 Shasta with the "wings" on it (Elvis curtains & all) If I can't find windows cheap, I will build my own and have them seal the same way the door does.

So, after making a 9 1/2' piece of luan for my canvas, I drew the outline up, then taking Mark's idea, drop the frame down to "set" my headliner on. Used pocket screws to join my frame work (will go back and glue / screw for final assembly), boy-o-boy I like that Kreg pocket hole jig I purchased with my Christmas money (hoping to pick-up corperate sponsorship my mentioning name).

As of last night I have one wall framed and all but one piece for the second wall. I used 1x4 treated for the bottom board that attaches the wall to the floor (why treated? because I had it) Actually I had all the pieces, but, while getting excited and cutting boards for the rear, Goof Ball chopped up the 8' 1x4 for the bottom of wall #2.

Cost so far:
$10 for 1 sheet of luan (had enough scrape left over from last year's flooring project to get the extra 18" - I told you I was a pack-rat)
$4 for pocket hole screws
Total to date $14

Can't count the Kreg Pocket Jig, it's a tool purchase that can used for future project (right guys? come on, back me up here!)

Monday I went to town with my wife, stopped by the scrap yard and sold the cat. converter I had to replace; got $55, so I'm thinking "Hello Plywood!". Before I got home, my brother called and said "we" (I have 3 bro's) bought Mom a 32" TV for her birthday, my part is $90,... "Goodbye Plywood!"

I had to stop midway through my build yesterday to work on a friends Saab. Made $80, WooHoo!!! Hello Plywood, oh, wait, I still owe my bro. $40, give $20 for church offering tomorrow, need groceries... never mind.

Sorry for being long winded. I'll try to start getting pictures. My wife had the 500mm on the camera, can't focus less than 9', I've only got a 1.5 car garage. (that .5 car is hard to get into)
Last edited by WhitneyK on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Sounds good... but don't let that camera get in the way. We still need pics!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby WhitneyK » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Well after getting all the wall framework cut and assembled to test "dry fit", I screwed the two profiles together to confirm the profiles matched, they didn't. I had to sand & trim slightly. (what else is new) Since I used what lumber I had, I then had to clean up the surfaces that would be glued to the ply later (notice varnish, weathering, paint, etc)

Then the frame was glued...

... screwed ...

... and yes, tattoo'd! lol (sorry, couldn't resist)

After calling it a night, I had to pick up my tools, set the walls to the side, and sweep up the mess so I could pull my wife's Blazer back in the garage. Anybody interested in and antique pump organ? I could sure use the room!

I'm kind of at a stand still until more funding is allocated to continue the project. Next will be the 1/4" ply for the outside of the walls. (still hoping for that Kreg Tool sponsorship)
Cost so far:
$10 for 1 sheet of luan (had enough scrape left over from last year's flooring project to get the extra 18" - I told you I was a pack-rat)
$4 for glue
$6 for sanding disc's
Total to date $24
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:19 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Way to start a project! Recycled is good! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:16 am

This is off-subject, but, is that an antique organ in your garage? Is it the kind that you pump with your feet? Is that another project, waiting in line? It looks like it might be nice. Is there a story behind it?

You are doing well at building with recycled materials. You are smart to keep the cost down and do what you can when you can. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby YuGun » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:17 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

Have a nice chance to your buid!
YuGun
The 300 Club

Postby WhitneyK » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks for the comments all,

I got a good score today for the recycling part; I had to help my wife's aunt move (again). She gave me quite a pile of 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" birch ply from a friend of hers that owns a cabinet company. No large pieces, but some 3' x 3'. Figure since I'm planning on covering the inside with either fabric or carpet, pieced together ain't gonna show anyway. Should save me $30 or so.

Sharon - Yes, that is a foot operated pump organ. It's in good shape, just got done with a minor overhaul to the inside works. No room in the house, would really like to relocate it to someone elses house. Story? Well on the part of the keys that doesn't show, the original builders signed their names to it back in Feb / March of 1878. in 1898 someone repaired & signed it, and in 1966. It was my b-i-l's that passed away 13+ yrs ago, just no room.

It may be a little bit before I can work on my weekender again. Even though I made enough $ for the 1/4" ply I needed, I'm pretty well crippled from moving all the furniture. Back ain't worth a hoot, leaning over the frame sanding on it didn't help either. (My saw horses are 40" tall)
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:49 pm

:( Sorry about your back. You might sand with things upright so you are not leaning over. :worship: Hope it gets better soon. :thumbsup:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Wall are together

Postby WhitneyK » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:19 pm

Well, I had Saturday all to myself, for the most part. I was able to get the 1/4" ply cut & screwed to my wall frames. I'll take it apart later and glue the ply to the frame along with the screws.
I stood them up on my sheet of 3/8 ply to test if 4' wide would be enough?

My wife brought out or 20 lbs of love out to verify the build by subjecting it to a cat scan

While wifey was in there, I snuck a pic, it's almost a standy for her, lol!

I talked her into laying down side by side with me to check the fit of a 4' wide (which was my first choice of size due to cost & easier to build). After being shoulder to shoulder and pretty well wall to wall, I think I'll make it a 5' wide. Might keep peace and after the first use say "Man I wished I would have made that a 5 wide".

My intentions were to use 3/8" ply over 1x framing & foam for the floor. Since I am going 5 wide, I will need another sheet of 3/8 ply, (delay of game, RATS!) Will 3/8 ply be sufficent for the floor? Can I get by with 1/4?

Cost so far:
$4 for glue
$6 for sanding disc's
$39 for 3 sheets of 1/4" ply
-3.50 (25% off 'cause the guy loading my ply boogered the corner, cut that corner off anyway)
$14 for 1 sheet of 3/8 ply
$4 for 1" screws for attaching ply to wall frame
Total to date $77.50
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:27 am

:thumbsup: You can use 1/4" for the floor if you frame it. You will need a way to attach it to the sides and a way to attach the walls to the frame. :thumbsup:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Weekender started for sure

Postby WhitneyK » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Well life got in the way for a while. I picked up a 2nd job (that actually pays), my wife got a job (after 14 yrs at home, it's gonna be short lived though). Been working on the camper every free moment I can (which ain't much). I will try to ketchup? on the build journal, and yes, I've been taking pics.(already been yelled at for that once, lol, I'm still teachable to some degree) Trying a different approach to the galley hatch that seems to have worked and was easier, I think, but more of that when I get to it. Trying to keep things in order.

Went to the flea market in Louisville on an off month (we usually only hit the big ones 3 or 4 time a year), found a vender there from Elkart, IN that said it was his 1st & last time there. Well, long story short, he was selling surplus camper parts, WOO HOO! Left his booth with my wife & I loaded down for only $100 (blessing of the Lord!)
Fantastic vent (with electric lift by the way), int lites, porch lites, ext lites, 12V outlets, 110V access hatch. What a haul!

Was having problems finding windows, got hooked up with someone wanting to get rid of an old '71 camper shell with windows for $FREE.
So I drug it home.
After disassembling it, I had 2 windows on each side measuring 28" wide each. Hmmm, I need 18" wide, let's take it apart and cut it down, so, that's what I did.
So, after cutting them down, the neighbor that helped me brought 2 new ones over last week, go figure, but that's OK, I'll take the blessing.
Oh, and by the way, here's his '67 Shasta that started me to thinkin' about a small camper in the first place.
It even has Elvis curtains.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Movin' on to the trailer

Postby WhitneyK » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:16 pm

My brother "donated" (I think? Haven't discussed the title yet.?.) a 4+ x 8 trailer to the cause.
After I stipped it down...
I had to widen it to 5 X 8, but that's no problem, it's just cuttin' & weldin'
Now, that it's been widened & welded it's time to move back into the garage. It's ready for paint...
All painted up, ain't it purtty? Oh well, it's painted anyway!
Rather than set the camper down into the angle iron frame, I added treated 2x's to it to bring it up level.
The trailer had been abused / overloaded in it's previous life (I hauled 3600# of gravel on it myself). The frame had a bow to it that I had to level out. Used treated lumber to do this, everythings good again.
I know, should have replaced the metal, but as I mentioned before, I'm doing this on an extremely limited budget.
Next stop, on with the camper progress ... stay tuned for more ... until next time ... same bat time ... same bat channel ... (showin' my age now ain't I)
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Whitney's Weekender Keeps Chuggin' Along

Postby WhitneyK » Sat May 14, 2011 9:30 am

After painting the wood added to level the trailer frame, the floor is built,
painted, insulated, and attatched to the floor (got in a hurry, didn't take pic until attached). I added an extra brace up the middle just to take any "sponginess" out of it (I'm not mentioning using my Kreg Jig anymore, seems they're not interested in sponsoring me on this project). The insulation was glued & screwed, I made my own fender washers from some plastic panels I had laying around (about 2"). Since the glue I used stated it couldn't be applied over paint, I routed the paint off to expose the wood ?" from the edge (whatever the router off set it is) and did an X from corner to corner. Applied the glue (caulk type) in/on the groove, force fit the foam and put screws in just to be extra sure. Removed the plastic film from the foam and painted (2 coats) with Rustoleum gloss white, seems to adhere well and makes it a lot tougher. Filled any gaps/cracks in edges of foam with silicone.
Sealed the top side and applied tile.
In between the other little "hurry up and wait" steps (I strongly dislike [hate is such a harsh word] waiting on paint to dry!) I started staining, applying poly to the exposed interior wood. The large piece will be above the foot of the bed and extending to the galley area. The other (on the hatch frame) will be the top / door (trunk style) to the headboard storage area.
.......AND, while waiting on that to dry, I went ahead and primered the ceiling.
Currently, here is the cost so far:
$4 for glue
$6 for sanding disc's
-3.50 (25% off 'cause the guy loading my ply boogered the corner, cut that corner off anyway)
$6 Floor Tile
$16 Gallon of Titebond II (got tired of the little bottles)
$28 Pink foam insulation (3 sheets)
$77 Luan (7 sheets)
$13.50 3/8 ply
$14.50 1 x 4 x 10' (8pcs)(actually got 12'er's for $ of 10' so I bought extra)
$26 Carpet for walls
$13 Glue for carpet (may change to spray glue?)
$20 Tongue jack (super coupon at HF)
$8 Screws (1" & 1 1/4")
$100 Vent, gasket, lights, accessories from flea market
$4 Foam glue
$21 2" coupler for tongue of trailer
$21 Poly & paint thinner
$29 Rustoleum Gloss White (frame, bottom of floor)
$5 Leaf spring bushings (plastic)
$10 Hardware for attaching axle / leaf springs
$50 Trailer frame welded (can't believe I got in a hurry and paid for welding!)
Total to date $539.50 (adds up fast, glad I had alot of stuff laying around)

Now I need to get the galley & door hinges ordered, latches, trim, etc (that's gonna hurt!!!) :cry:

Well, enough typing for now, it's off to the garage so I can hurry up and wait for more stuff to dry......... :?
that drives me NUTS!!!
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Sat May 14, 2011 11:16 am

Outstanding job on what you did with the frame. Looks really nice and sound now.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Whitney's Weekender... now we're gettin' somewhere!

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Life still gettin' in the way (two jobs, weddings, working on vehicles, stuff in general...). Well, I had the thing all together, then I took it apart to do the finish work. I've changed directions, originally I was going to put carpet on the walls, but, after speaking with Jarod at the gathering, talked it over with my wife and decided against it. Several reasons; not being able to get rid of the moisture (80-100% humidity in IN), a little afraid of it molding/mildewing, wife has allergies to that sort of stuff. I have no problem with folks that use carpet or cloth on the walls, gosh, was hopin' I could, would have been alot easier, but, just wanted to play it safe.
Well, since I hadn't planned on "finishing" the interior wood, I hadn't taken any extra pains to ensure it looked good. Should have used brads instead of staples, would have been easier to hide. Anyway, I got there and it's good enough.
Wife's getting into this build, she's buyin' all kinds of "nature" stuff to decorate inside with. Pretty cool stuff, I'll have to post pics. Probably won't even see the walls by the time she's done.
Put a final coat of paint on the ceiling, used Rustoleum gloss white (same as trailer), fiqured it would be durable and easy to clean (I'm not sure what I'll get on the ceiling, but I've got it covered).
Headboard (on left) & foot board finished and ready to go. The headboard will be part of the front storage trunk.
The interior is just luan, but ya know, it don't look to shabby when it's clear coated. Nice flames and tiger eyes?, this is one of my door panels
Walls, ceiling, floor, doors, head & foot boards, trunk lid at headboard, large storage shelf over feet/galley area ready for assembly. My wife was gone, my trusty neighbor was not in town, so, I guess I'll wait 'til tomorrow to assemble when I have an extra hand. All dressed up and no place to go :cry:
So Bob, what time will you be down tomorrow evening? I'll get home around 5.

Oh ya, 'bout forgot, my other good neighbor donated 2 almost new Goodyear tires for the trailer :applause: while I was using his lift to put a fuel pump in my wife's Blazer and after helping me charge the A/C in my Tracker (26+ mpg thank you very much)

I think I've talked myself back into using the "living" hinge (rubber/plastic/whatever) for the galley hinge. Need to order door latches, and still trying to find some metal for the outside. (cheap or free)

Will work for camper parts... :money:

Currently, here is the cost so far:
$4 for glue
$6 for sanding disc's
$6 Floor Tile
$16 Gallon of Titebond II (got tired of the little bottles)
$28 Pink foam insulation (3 sheets)
$77 Luan (7 sheets)
$13.50 3/8 ply
$14.50 1 x 4 x 10' (8pcs)(actually got 12'er's for $ of 10' so I bought extra)
$26 Carpet for walls
$13 Glue for carpet (may change to spray glue?)
$20 Tongue jack (super coupon at HF)
$8 Screws (1" & 1 1/4")
$100 Vent, gasket, lights, accessories from flea market
$4 Foam glue
$21 2" coupler for tongue of trailer
$21 Poly & paint thinner
$29 Rustoleum Gloss White (frame, bottom of floor)
$5 Leaf spring bushings (plastic)
$10 Hardware for attaching axle / leaf springs
$50 Trailer frame welded (can't believe I got in a hurry and paid for welding!)
-$26 Carpet for walls (returned)
-$13 Glue for carpet (returned)
$20 2 qts poly
$30 2 qts Helmsman
$20 6' x 4" aluminum hinge for doors
$7 SS screws

Total as far as I can figure (had to slip a shoe off): $577.50
Last edited by WhitneyK on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals