Propane or White Gas, which do you think is safer?

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Which do you feel more comfortable using based on your perception of safe?

White gas appliances
35%
Propane appliances
65%

Total votes : 48

Propane or White Gas, which do you think is safer?

Postby parnold » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 pm

What do you all prefer?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby mechmagcn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:16 pm

Really have no preference, I have and use both. It depends really on the circumstances of the trip, if I'm close to civilization I'll use propane, if out in the boonies for days I'll use gas. Sorta hard to find those little green bottles out in the boonies :lol:
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 pm

I prefer white gas. IMHO it's cheaper in the long run, and it's easier to recycle the gallon can than all those little green cans.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

I like both.

Postby Want2camp » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:20 pm

I've had more experience with white gas and like the added work to get the stove/lantern going. It seems more "primative". I think the propane is safer however.

The first time I lit my first white gas stove (Coleman Peak One single burner), I got a face full of flame. to an observer it may have been scary/cool but it definitely woke me up to the dangers of white gas. :?

That being said however, I only have one propane stove. It cooks and that is all that matters. :thumbsup:
Want2camp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 pm

I had a couple of accidents with white gas as a kid camping with family. They convinced me to be much more careful around white gas appliances in general.

But I really feel that modern propane appliances are safer to use under normal conditions than white gas, but that's just my $0.02 worth.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 pm

I've never had a white gas container stick open and empty out all its contents while I've had it happen with a green propane container.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:15 pm

I feel comfortable with both but propane is less bother. However I do not use the green tanks, that is a lot of steel, most of which are not recycled I would bet.
Cost Naptha vs propane, from what I can find historically they move together, unless the propane is in a little green tank.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby gregp136 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:45 am

We have both. We prefer the white gas because of the recycling probems of the green bottles. Very few places recycle them.

Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Postby rbeemer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 am

My preference is for white gas but propane is more convenient. As far as safety goes, I think that the user has a lot to do with it.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Re: Propane or White Gas, which do you think is safer?

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 am

If you are worried about safety non of the above.
Propane if it leaks out with out a flame boom
White gas is a fire. I had one that lit up I was near shut it off and pulled out the gas tank. it got bigger I used a fire extinguisher to put it out as it went over the side and down toward the ground.

If you want to cook safe I would commend this
Image :thumbsup:
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:00 am

...I think for the average idiot type, propane is safer...now, having said that and not considering myself an ordinary idiot(extraordinary is more like it), I use propane for shear convenience and ease of use...I don't use the green bottles but rather a 20#tank with a distribution tree connected to it...cheap and convenient...just my choice............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:17 am

I'd say that both require a certain amount of safety measures and attention. For me...I prefer the white gas, mostly for the nostalgia thing of camping. I have however, lit a hand on fire with it, due to my own stupidity. I knew better, and alcohol didn't play any part...just frustration. No damage though.

Statistically speaking, I use, play or clown around with them MUCH more than the typical camper, but it did give me a new respect for it's power. White gas has been used back to the mid 20's, if used properly and safely, It's no problem...same deal with propane. Pay attention to what's going on and don't be stupid with it. I think it's a wash..

For convenience, you can run a white gas lantern or stove on Coleman fuel or unleaded if needed...and it will run at altitude and colder temps better with less hassle than propane. A propane stove or lantern...takes propane...and that's it.

I am biased however...It's all a FWIW thing. Other opinions will vary. Doug

PS...I was amazed at the nearly 60 little 1# bottles left at the recycling container at Yosemite however.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Corwin C » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:26 pm

bdosborn wrote:I've never had a white gas container stick open and empty out all its contents while I've had it happen with a green propane container.

I had an Uncle die in a propane fire when I was very young ... It was caused by the propane "puddling" in a low area and then finding an ignition source. Ironically he was trying to take care of the leak at the time. He happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think that propane is unsafe, it's just that a container of naptha isn't as likely to spread out on it's own. Any fuel/energy source has inherent hazards. The secret is to understand them and take measures to prevent problems.

doug hodder wrote:...and it will run at altitude and colder temps better with less hassle than propane.

This has been my experience as well, and with many of my favorite hangouts being near 10,000' elevation, that extra little bit of umph is important.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Treeview » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Since the focus here is car camping I ticked propane. When I'm on wheels I don't care to bother pumping and dumping fuel around.

When I'm on foot multi-fuel/pump up stoves are my choice. Anywhere from an MSR XGK to an MSR Whisperlite.

Since there are more people camping on wheels it makes sense to have them use propane.

I'm waiting for Harbor Fright to have a discount coupon so that I can buy a refill adapter. Until then I buy one pounders and save them for eventual refilling.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:46 pm

I voted for propane but...
We have the Camp Chef stove/oven combination and a Camp Chef fire ring so we carry two 5# propane bottles to feed both appliances.
Campfires & charcoal fires are restricted in Yosemite to only 5pm to 10 pm but propane has no restrictions.
We can dutch oven in the propane oven without breaking any rules.

A word of warning don't ever pour white gas on a fire you think is out.
I did such as a teen and singed my eyebrows. I can still see that ball of fire in my memory.
My mom came to my aid since she heard this explosion in the family back yard fireplace.

Even though I've had scary experiences with white gas in my younger years (flaming Coleman stove my parents gifted me) I've abandoned the propane lantern for a couple white gas vintage Coleman lanterns.
I really enjoy the look, sound and light output they provide. Something to play around with :lol: when Jane is playing her harp.
We still carry a few 1# bottles of propane for a quick meal vs hauling out the bigger tank.
I fill up both lanterns for our trip and leave the gas can at home, for safety sake. :frightened:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to User Polls