Alum 8'5"x12' sled trailer. and a BIG HELLO

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Alum 8'5"x12' sled trailer. and a BIG HELLO

Postby slamminwalleyes » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 pm

Frist off Hello to all :) . Super site here. ive been doing alot of reading here and have a good idea were to start. Qustion as always if ya dont ask ya dont learn... 8)
I have a Alum Sled trailer V noise 8'5" X 12'. 1200lb load. deck 18" from the ground. i need room for 2 adults & 2 growing kids. my plan is to have a 8x8 sleeping area. under the sleeping area a 14" storage with lift panels. with 48" side walls. 2' for the back lift hatch kitchen. planning on making this a slide on off unit.. any mounting ideas??
Now if anyone has insite of problems comming forth dont hold back let me have it. :thinking:
Thanks
Slamminwalleyes
slamminwalleyes
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:31 pm

slamiin....welcome to boad of certified TD obsessive/compulsives...sounds like a heck off a trailer but excuse me...what is a sled trailer...do you have a pic we can see 18" high deck sounds, well high...do you have a picture you can share, 'cause we really do luv da pics and wanna see your sled trailer
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Micro469 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:01 am

A sled trailer is a snowmobile trailer.. a hellava lot more comman here in the north country than a teardrop..LOL... :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:07 am

Micro469 wrote:A sled trailer is a snowmobile trailer.. a hellava lot more comman here in the north country than a teardrop..LOL... :lol:

I thought it might be so...the only "sleds" down here are on TV..I would still like to see a pic...ya know how I am about pics
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Alum 8'5"x12' sled trailer. and a BIG HELLO

Postby angib » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:44 am

slamminwalleyes wrote:planning on making this a slide on off unit.. any mounting ideas??

Yeah, KISS! I'm amazed at how small the turnbuckles are on campers - if the turnbuckles are angled enough to pull the slide-on down onto the trailer during braking, friction on the deck will do the rest.

I'm guessing you've got a lip around the deck edge, so as long as you stop the slide-on from jumping that, you don't even need the friction.

madjack, with your trucking experience I'd expect you to be able to say what sort of restraints you would want to put on a 700-1,000 pound load on a trailer deck.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Tools and shop are ready going for supplys this week

Postby slamminwalleyes » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:05 am

Thank for the welcome folks
Thanks Micro469
I will try get that pic for ya madjack. yes angib theres are 3" side lip and 4 -5/8" bolt holes for holding sled down. i plan on useing all 4 to hold the TD front plus adding a couple more on the back. they will go through the floor and 2"x4"slides. theres going to be afree air travel under to help keep things dry. I had an old beeline truck camper that went bad i gutted it and saved the interior whitch was almost mint. (all WhiteBirch) new 3 way fridge, stove, lights,cupboards ect ...some of which i will use in this TD. I will be taking pic's from start to finish.
Need some good windows/doors and clue as to fair priced ones?

Slamminwalleyes
slamminwalleyes
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Alum 8'5"x12' sled trailer. and a BIG HELLO

Postby madjack » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:42 am

angib wrote:
slamminwalleyes wrote:planning on making this a slide on off unit.. any mounting ideas??

Yeah, KISS! I'm amazed at how small the turnbuckles are on campers - if the turnbuckles are angled enough to pull the slide-on down onto the trailer during braking, friction on the deck will do the rest.

I'm guessing you've got a lip around the deck edge, so as long as you stop the slide-on from jumping that, you don't even need the friction.

madjack, with your trucking experience I'd expect you to be able to say what sort of restraints you would want to put on a 700-1,000 pound load on a trailer deck.

Andrew

well Andrew...I don't think a pair of cargo chains or 4" cargo straps would very sightly to most folks and the chains might raise he!! with the appearance of the outer skins :lol: however a good turn buckle in the front center and two towards the rear would probably do a good job
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets