Living full-time in a teardrop trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby pete42 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:54 am

As I have heard the kids say "my Bad" I now know not to reply to some post.

I would love to meet a TD full timer just to see how it's done.

I may have to attend a TD gathering where one will be.

:thumbsup:
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Rick Sheerin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:12 am

If you want to full time in a TD, hands down, Steve Fredericks' Rondack Lodge is the ultimate design! Queen size bed, separate dinette, indoor toilet, and beautiful traditional outdoor galley. He even sells a CD to show you how to do it. http://www.campingclassics.com/shopman05.html check out his website. :thumbsup:
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

The ultimate

Postby Guy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Everyone building a tear or TT should get Steve's build manuals. His methods are incredible. The tips, tricks, guidance and confidence building are worth ten times the price.
However if you asked Steve to design a full time Teardrop his design would be dramatically different from the Rondack Lodge. Just ask Steve.

Oh, and I tow with a Solara Convertible.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby vreihen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:04 am

pete42 wrote:why do we like cabooses? train cabooses it's a family web site.
I have never ridden in a "crummy" but I have been inside many of them over the years and was sadden when they were replaced by "FRED" (Flashing Rear End Device or Flashing Red End Device).

If you want to sleep in one, there are at least two motels on the east coast that offer overnight accommodations in re-purposed cabooses:

http://www.caboosemotel.net/caboose.asp

http://www.redcaboosemotel.com/lodging.htm

I've never been to either place, but from some of the pictures it looks like they went a little bit too far in the modernizations if you know what I mean.....
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby TheOtherSean » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:08 am

When I was a kid, my parents took me to lunch at the Red Caboose Motel's restaurant after we went riding the Strasburg Railroad's steam train. I'd call the experience good, clean (aside from a little soot) fun.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:08 am

Lets see, living full-time in a teardrop trailer, would actually mean trying to find a suitable safe, campground, nightly, then cooking evey meal, breakfast, lunch and supper, out of the galley, and trying to keep warm, sitting and chatting, around a late-nite camprire with a bunch of perfect strangers. Hey, what could be worse?

Then, as the evening progreses, trying to sleep within the confines of a cramped, narrow wooden box, only 4 feet high, 4 feet wide and too cramped to stand in, while changing clothes and sometimes, enduring frigid night-time temperatures, or infernal heat. As always, there is the danger of unknown intruders, (human or wild animals) and then, later, having to stumble outside, in the darkness of the night, just to go pee, behind the nearest tree, sometimes under a full moon.

When the sun rises the next morning, a shower is in order, usually at 25 cents for 2 minutes in the cold of the morning. Ofen, there is unavoidable conversation with, questionable, totally, naked people, that you have never met before. So it is when you are on the road, no worrys or anticipated cares.........

Hey, I,ve done it, and I love it, all across the many of our wonderful 48 United States, from the West Coast to the Atlanic coast. Long live similar camping enthusiasts, willing to explore the unexpexcted and unusual experiences, encountered only while enjoying our unique lifestyle. I look forward to doing it again, when the weather permits.
8) ;) :thumbsup: Roly, So Calif, TDer and Vintage trailer nut.

l
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

It's an interesting question...

Postby John Foote » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 am

What would you NEED to fulltime in a teardrop? Or, put another way, if you lost everything but your teardrop and your tow vehicle (say, by betting it all on the Superbowl :worship: :cry: ), what would you add to your teardrop to make things comfortable for the long haul?

I'm all about electricity, effortless zoogawatts of electricity. Wherever and whenever I park, I want the power on. And if I like it there, I want to be able to stay there, with power on, for a good long while. Big whisper-quiet genset, big RV battery bank and inverter, big solar charging, auxiliary charging generator in the tow vehicle. Whatever works, in redundancy.

Three main reasons I want power. Lights, computer tool-toys and refrigeration. Not a lot of refrigeration, but enough for a 7-10 day boondock. Freezer, too, in a 60/40 reefer/freezer split. I want to eat and drink very well, and meander slowly from Costco to Costco.

The other thing I would require is a capacity to be useful, self-reliant and self-employable. I would want my tow vehicle to be a van or pick-up truck, and reasonably well packed with my favorite tools. That's as much for my own amusement as it is for potential income. Still, it's a lot easier to make some emergency moolah by building a nice deck, cabinet or bookcase, than it is by digging a nice ditch.
John Foote
Teardrop Builder

Postby droid_ca » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I think it would be a very comfortable feeling just having the knowing that if something were to happen the the survivability of your trailer would be very reassuring
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby happy_camper » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Jon P...

Any progress on your FT teardrop design? I promise I won't get mad if you share details.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein
"Mechanical difficulties with language are the outcome of internal difficulties with thought." — Elizabeth Bowen
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed!" — William Shakespeare
"It ain't about the numbers, I can count to five just like you'se guys" — Six Finger Chatowski
happy_camper
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 pm

What would I want in a TD for my last abode?

I would like one a bit wider than a 4 footer, seating on one side and bed on the other. Luckily I am single. unfortunately will probably remain that way. An electric hot plate inside for those days it is nasty out to heat the water kettle for a cup of coffee. I don't need a lot of electric, heck I haven't had a TV for 10 years. I don't need a lot of computing power. Might build one in using a small mother board. Awning attachment on the side. I don't need a lot of cold storage but I suppose a small frig might be nice. Well insulated.

Pretty much how I am planning build #2.

Getting ready for the future

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Re: Living full-time in a teardrop trailer

Postby haha49 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:21 am

Www.jhblueroad.com

She does it full time with a motor bike. Don't need big
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 am

haha49 wrote:http://Www.jhblueroad.com

Cool. And what a concept. Get people to pay through PayPal for my travels. Now to turn my mobile retirement plan ( homeless ) into an art project. :twisted: :twisted:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 am

haha49 wrote:http://Www.jhblueroad.com

Cool. And what a concept. Get people to pay through PayPal for my travels. Now to turn my mobile retirement plan ( homeless ) into an art project. :twisted: :twisted:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Visionsbydarrah » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:31 am

Greetings everyone,

It's been a number of years since I've visited this forum, but I'm back in a Teardrop actually a LittleGuy MyPod and I'm full time in it. Life is good.
Pat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
2015 LittleGuy MyPod.
My YouTube Channel: https://m.youtube.com/user/TheVisionsbydarrah
Visionsbydarrah
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:28 am

Visionsbydarrah wrote:Greetings everyone,

It's been a number of years since I've visited this forum, but I'm back in a Teardrop actually a LittleGuy MyPod and I'm full time in it. Life is good.

Congrats. While I would like to go full time in a teardrop it would not be feasible for me. Getting up in age, to stiff in joints and sad to say, to fat. So I am planning more a little trailer. Give me place to get out of the weather as I will be in places that will get cold and rainy and where I can't ( or won't ) retreat to a motel/gas stop/campground. Even following the seasons. I applaud those that can do it but for me 2-4 weeks in a teardrop is enough.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion