1 lb propane bottle debate revisited

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

1 lb propane bottle debate revisited

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:41 pm

Seems Yellowstone found these bottles to be a problem.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/press/0566.htm

Drop them at my place, I'll crush 'em and scrap 'em, enough steel to make 8k cars is a good pay off at the scrap yard.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:20 pm

Please (re)explain:

What the heck was the problem with recycling these1-pounders anyway? The fact that they were steel--or that they were steel with GAS in them and couldn't be easily and safely recycled?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:23 pm

Why not refill them. I have an adapter (Northern Tooll or Habour Freight or somewhere) that I can use to refill the one pounders from a 20lb tank.
http://www.heatershop.com/1lb_probane_b ... l_kit.html :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:28 pm

Kurt--we've been there, done that.

Most people here are (probably incorrectly) afraid to do so.

I myself am just too damn lazy.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Arne » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:11 pm

Ira, I suspose the thing that goes is the seal in the 1# tank. Do you have any that have leaked, and how many cycles do you think you got out of them before they did.?... I too have essentially just too lazy, as I only use 1 or 2 per season, it just didn't seem worth the bother.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

1 lb propane bottles

Postby JIML1943 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm

Like the article said it's against the law to refill disposible bottles you can buy the adapter, you can also buy refillable 1lb bottles,i won't take the chance of blowing my family or myself up just to save $3.00 for a tank of fuel.

My opinion. jim

SAFE and happy camping Jim :thinking:
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

1lb Propane . . . .

Postby rooster » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:15 pm

Being one that was raised up during WW2, things were hard to get, and so you saved everything, always going to use it some day. My father and I were camping and the propane lantern died and we put a new bottle and enjoyed our evening. My father said. "I wonder if these things can be refilled?" Day or two later he showed me an adapter he had made to do just that, refill the propane bottles. My father was a self taught man and he figured out away to do it. Remember that saying, "Necesity is the mother of all invention." There will be those who will and those who will not refill. I'll always have $3.00 too buy one.

Jim, (another one) :twisted:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Re: 1 lb propane bottles

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:22 pm

JIML1943 wrote:Like the article said it's against the law to refill disposible bottles

Not true, it is against the law to transport refills across state lines or resell them, but it is NOT against the law to refill them.
Really nothing unsafe about it either, it's really quite a simple procedure too.
They use that law part to discourage you from doing it, they don't make any money on the little bottles when you refill them.
Much the same as burning your own CDs with the added risk of fire if you forget not to smoke during the refill procedure.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:18 pm

There is a small safety issue with refilling. If you fill to about 80% capacity it would leave room for gas expansion that would be close to a safe amount. If you fill it more, it isn't so safe. I know a guy that not only refills his own, but puts them in the freezer for a while before topping them off. I don't think I would want to put one of his 100% liquid filled cylinders in the trunk of my car in August. Generally, if it was very dangerous to refill 1 lb. cylinders, the manufacturers and distributors of refill adaptors wouldn't be able to get product liability insurance for them, because the product liability lawyers would see them as a cash cow that needs to be drained.

JMO - Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:35 pm

I think the supposed law that prohibits refilling was written by Coleman to bolster sales :lol:

If you refill 'em don't let the refill police catch ya!:roll:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby TomS » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:58 pm

This thread comes around every few months like clockwork.

Personally, I wouldn't refill the 1Lb. disposable cyclnders. They weren't designed to be used more than once. There are some things I'll do to save a buck. Taking chances with propane ain't one of them.

I had the seal on a new canister leak on me last Memorial day weekend. I was packing up the stove. I removed the gas bottle and the seal on the damn canister started leaking gas like crazy. I VERY carefully carried it into the woods far away from the other sites and gingerly set it on the ground. Fortunately, it was fairly breezy that day. The wind dissapated the gas quickly. After that experience, I'd rather use a bulk container with a valve that I can shut off. Also, those 1Lb. cylnders is they always seem to run out in the middle of a meal.

Now, I just use a bulk cylnder. I have one of those distribution trees, and run my stove and lantern off bulk tank.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:02 pm

Though I have never refilled a 1lb bottle, there are a few things that I have read/observed. I don't have a problem refilling bottles, I just keep forgetting to pick up one of those adapters at HF.

1. A pressure relief valve on top ot the disposable can prevents over filling.

2. You can't overfill in the first place since the 20lb tank has lower pressures than the manufacturer.

But yes, this topic comes around like clockwork.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: 1 lb propane bottles

Postby Larry Messaros » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Nitetimes wrote:..............Much the same as burning your own CDs with the added risk of fire if you forget not to smoke during the refill procedure.

That sounds like the man in the next town from ours, he died this past weekend in his mobile home and the cause was smoking while using his oxygen tank! (seriously):no:

Anyways, I have found that I would go through too many 1 lb containers while traveling that it wouldn't be worth it to refill, besides if I have to haul around a larger container to refill the small containers, why not just use the larger container? They make some great 5 lb tanks that are not much larger than the 1 lb tanks. I used a 10 lb tank and it worked great because I used it to run my stove, light and bbq and sometimes my heater. It would last quite a while, but it wasn't too large so I could fit it into my camper.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Re: 1 lb propane bottle debate revisited

Postby markhusbands » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 pm

I think I am planning on using refilled 1lbers for most weekend trips.

One thing: I saw a photo on here somewhere of a guy that strung together three 1lb canisters, each with its own valve, and rigged it to a bulk propane fitting in order to run a cast iron three burner blind stove. Looked like a homemade version of the Coleman Gemini, which I was thinking of buying and removing the bulky black case.

Any body see this photo, do something similar, or use the Coleman Gemini?
markhusbands
Teardrop Master

Re: 1 lb propane bottle debate revisited

Postby 48Rob » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:51 pm

This is an old thread!

I've used 1# bottles, and did okay with them.
We had only a 2 burner stove.
Used several over a long weekend, more than we should have as they always seem to leak once you unscrew them.

Now, on another trailer, we have an 11# tank, with an adaptor fitting to allow a 1# bottle to be connected to the system if the big tank runs out.
Works great, every couple years we "need" to use a 1# bottle.

You can get a 5# bottle too, a good compromise if a 1# bottle is too small, and regular tanks are too big.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion