I have to ask.....

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

I have to ask.....

Postby honeask » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:25 pm

I know this is just between us ladies (yeah right!) and I need to know something. Was a teardrop/tiny trailer your idea or was it your mate's idea to get a teardrop/tiny trailer? Did you both come to a mutual agreement from the beginning or did one of you have to show the other the light? My husband is not jumping on my bandwagon and it's getting to me. :x If you were the one that talked them into trying the teardrop, how did you do it? I would like to do this before I forget why I wanted it. Thanks for any guidance in advance.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:37 pm

:lol: I didn't ask! Mike was very skeptical until I got the wall up. He turned down a normal TD due to size. Not that I couldn't have one but he wasn't getting in one. He was more receptive when he went to a group camp and met some of the guys.

Really he didn't have faith until we took it down the road and he realized it wouldn't come apart at the seams... :roll: This is the point where he got it!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Well, I was single when I fell in love with teardrops and built my first Jewel Box .

Then I couldn't part with my dear camping friends , but decided although I loved my first Jewel Box , it would have to be bigger and better then next time.

Still single, and needing help I put the word out for someone to build it for me. So a friend suggested Kenny .
He didn't know about teardrops, but starting liking the idea of building one and then went camping with me a couple of times and .... well, I don't know if he fell in love with the teardrop idea ... but he did fall in love with me ! ;)

(and it's not just the camping, we have LOTS in common & really hit it off)

the Jewel
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 pm

My husband bought it for me. He doesn't like to camp and I do. So now I can go and have a good time camping and when we go together I have the comfort of a hotel.
Got it good two ways.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby honeask » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Wow Jewel,
Sounds like you "built" a relationship and a teardrop, very cool.
Sandy

The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:18 am

Absolutely my idea, and I sold him on it. I had been looking at them for about 5 years before we got married. Then we looked at commercials, didn't like what we saw, knew we could make it better. It took me about a year to convince him he wanted to build one. 8) I had a real advantage as my husband is a welder, machinest, and likes to work with wood, and I am the finisher.

He didn't really want to take on a big project, he is so busy with his own business, but I kept showing him ideas, and once I found this website, and Steve's "handbook" and bought that for him, so he had a general idea of how they go together, he was ready to go. Once he drew a profile, I knew I had him. And although a lot of work, building it together was really fun. He designed the profile and basics, we decided on all the details together, he engineered it, built the frame, and did the heavy lifting. I did all the wood finishing and the motivating to get it done, or it probably still wouldn't be (he is not a completer, I am) ;) He would not allow me to use a hammer after seeing the damage I can do when I miss, and I am now not allowed to use the powersaw after cutting off 1/2 my thumb (yes, really, but not until the trailer was finished, it was a very last project).

And we both love it, and we have threatened each other we can never divorce because we would have to cut the tear down the middle.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby honeask » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks Debbie,
I know he could build one but the planning, pondering and perfectionist in him would kill me. I suspect that if we ever purchase one he will immediately start looking at how he would do it better. We are supposed to make a trip to Ft. Worth to look at one after we complete our committment of volunteering at the Houston Rodeo which is 2 1/2 more weeks. It's the first time in 18 years that I want it to be over quickly. I'm holding him to that road trip to go see a guy that builds them. He can build one later but I want to have one NOW.
Sandy

honeask
Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 am

Lay out the math. If you're teardropping in lieu of hotel rooms or cabins then they can pay for themselves rather quickly. Below is some June 2010 calculating I did on my teardrop that I bought in September 2007:

"A friend went up with us and stayed in the Lodge (Shenandoah National Park) while Gidget and I camped in the teardrop.

Her lodge room was $25 a night just for the pup. My friend only slept and showered in her room. She spent the rest of the time in my campsite or walking around with me and Gidg.

Her lodging cost for 3 nights = $500

My lodging cost for 3 nights = $ 63 (includes three $1 showers)

We both saved money by cooking in my campsite and not eating any meals in the restaurants.

I've camped about 80 nights in my teardrop since October 2007.

Would have cost over $11,000 more over those 80 nights to stay in one of the park's lodges.

A private cabin outside of the park would have been at least an additional $10,000 on top of that $11,000. $21,000

Prior to teardropping we often stayed in cabins. I certainly never would have stayed in cabins 80 nights during that time, because of the expense. But camping is affordable and the teardrop makes weekend camping much more doable and comfortable.

The teardrop enables us to camp much more often. That's priceless."

Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby T@Baker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:36 pm

The T@B is mine. Hubby isn't much on camping, but he goes half the time depending on the activities and where I'm going. My mom and I camped all of my childhood and adult life, changing from a TT to a MH after I was married and expecting our first child. Hubby went with us on week-long vacations in the MH, but not on weekend trips.

When mom's health prevented her from going anymore and she sold her MH, :( I started tent camping...after about four years of missing it. Loved it, and still do, but not the packing/unpacking/digging in containers. The midwest gets pretty uncomfortable without air-conditioning, so that was another factor. I was planning on getting a pop-up, but didn't really need that much space. Set-up, tear-down, and not being able to get in without popping up had me looking at small trailers. When I feel the need to sleep in a tent, I have my add-a-room.
;)
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby cdfnchico » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Definitely my idea...saw one at a carshow...and wanted one of our own. He wasn't as excited! Found this forum and started lurking...and then convinced him to visit a gathering. That was when we become convinced we could do it. Everyone was so friendly... We were able to check out different sizes and styles. Now he loves it as much as I do!

Drag him to a gathering!!! Good luck !
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Teardropping was my idea. Building our own was my idea too. My hubby is easy going and thought it would be fun to build it together. It was a joint project for sure. We had a ball. We love camping in it too.

I hope you get a teardrop and have some fun!

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 am

It was my idea to buy 'my' Teardrop. I don't know how to build much of anything (well, maybe one thing) and I don't have the proper tools so I bought one from a guy locally who had built it for himself. Luckily he and his wife were 6'4' and 6'2 so he built the Tear 10'x5'6". Quite roomy.

After having it for a little over 2 years I decided I really missed standing up in a camper so the Tear was sold and I then became the proud owner of a Scotty HiLander! Love it, love it, love it! :)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby honeask » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks ya'll. All the replies makes me realize I'm not really crazy. Our Rodeo obligation will be ending next Sunday and after that we are gonna have the TALK. I have a builder in Ft Worth that interests me so hopefully we will be taking a road trip soon. Trust me when it finally happens I will post....in ALL CAPS! My only other option will be to hypnotize him.
:lol: :? :twisted: :lol:
Sandy

honeask
Donating Member

Postby TJ1949 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:55 pm

No sandy your not crazy for wanting one!
They are so cute..Just like most of the others ladies I too saw them and wanted one 1st,but it didnt take much to talk John into building one,or trying to build one I should say.. :lol: ,,were really not sure what were doing but were doing it together and having fun!! :D
Good Luck on the hypnotizing..lol
TJ1949
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:33 am

my idea here also. i conned hubby to go on a camping trip last september. he had no idea he was driving into the middle of a gathering. he met some folk and had a good weekend and he was ok with the idea. he helped a little with the build process and we did our maiden voyage last weekend. i don't think he is totally thrilled but he will go. and if he doesn't want to go i can.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers