HEAT

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

HEAT

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:29 pm

I did not know quite where to put this and it is getting past the need to use, but here is the finished, almost project of setting up an Espar heater to use with our teardrop. It does use diesel but prefers kerosene (burns cleaner).

The package

The fuel tank has the fuel pump attached, it will go inside the case.

What is inside

The wiring harness is over long but I will not be trimming it till I can fit it and try in out with CR (Compass Rose).

With ducts attached

It all fits inside, mostly except for the ducts. The white thing is a pump primer made with a blinker relay and switch. The Espar pump is metering pump and since I have a long fuel line that is removed the heater wants to time out if it does not see fuel with in a specified time. This lets me know that I am getting fuel to the furnace (fuel line is translucent).

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Interesting...

Thank you for the explanation and (good) pictures! :thumbsup:

Since it is in a case with a handle, may we assume it is designed to be portable?
If so, why?

I recall you mentioned in an earlier post that this model is no longer available, are there any similar units on the market?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:46 am

The case is an aluminum surplus night vision goggle container which came in olive drab and that I stripped and polished. The Espar heater is the current D2 version and is available.
The reason I wanted it portable is that I can leave it home, and it helps to heat the garage. I do not have room in the tear. One other reason is this will be much more quiet, the reason for the muffler is that these things sound vaguely like a jet engine when starting up and having everything external and self contained reduces noise.
I have 4" deck plates in the side of the teardrop and these accommodate the AC unit and with reducer the heater. Note that the connector is a 3" sewer hose connection but the orange duct is high temp. The output from the heater is about 300 degrees F on high.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Wow, that's a cool setup. Where did you get the fuel tank? The priming thingy is cool, I never would have thought of that.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun May 01, 2011 9:40 pm

The fuel tank is an OLD Chrysler outboard tank I found on Ebay for $10 stripped of its camouflage paint and painted Ford blue. It had a funky plastic handle I replaced with aluminum. The fun part was fitting a valve and hose barbs. One inside the tank for the fuel pickup tube and the valve and hose barb to fit the Eberspacker fuel pump, all found at the local Triad/Parker store plus a threaded fitting to match the tank.
I still want to figure out a way to protect the fuel pump (expensive little buggers).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets