Yellow "gas pipe" tape

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Yellow "gas pipe" tape

Postby dh » Wed May 04, 2011 9:10 pm

I was told by a fellow wearing an orange apron that I couldn't use PTFE tape on gas pipe joints, and had to use the yellow stuff. I know better, but is there any real advantage to using it?
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 pm

...back in my plumbing/pipefitting days, we never used teflon tape on gas joints but rather RectorSeal #5(a pipe dope) 'cause it was required by code...the rumor was, teflon tape would deteriorate from contact from NG or propane...the other rumor was, teflon tape would not seal properly...later study on the matter(when the yellow tape came out) showed me it was the same as white teflon tape, except it was yellow, nominally thicker and sealed better(because it is thicker)...I still prefer the #5pipe dope for iron to iron connections and only use the tape when going from iron to brass/copper...if you use white tape, put a coupleR3 extra wraps on the pipe threads to make sure it seals properly...remember, when wrapping the threads, the tape wraps in a clockwise direction when looking at the end of the pipe................
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dale M. » Thu May 05, 2011 8:49 am

Teflon tape is not actually a sealant... Its a pipe thread lubricant so fitting can get tightened better ( better thread mesh)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

I always use plain old pipe dope because I always seem to have problem with Teflon tape. Either in applying it or having bits and pieces of it plug orifices in burners and what not...

Yellow, green, white ( maybe some other colors) tape is all the same chemically its just some applications like oxygen piping and fuel gasses require different colors so INSPECTOR knows joint is "supposedly" properly sealed...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby StPatron » Fri May 13, 2011 10:58 pm

I've used RectorSeal many, many times with never a bubble-test leak. Great product. Call me old-fashioned but I'd use it again without hesitation.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat May 14, 2011 4:46 am

The last gas pipe job (new water heater) I used the yellow Teflon tape and did a leak test. Since it is thicker than the white Teflon I am inclined to think there is some sealing as well and according to a number of sources yes it does. There is how ever a great deal of opinion (opinion, every one has one) but the logic of why would it be thicker if it did not.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby smatthew » Sat May 14, 2011 11:52 am

I have two favorite products for sealing pipe joints

1) Pink teflon tape. This stuff is thick. Thicker than yellow, which is thicker than white. Only place I can reliably find it is at Lowes.

2) hercules blue block. sets up tough but flexible. http://www.herchem.com/specs/block.pdf. Not NSF rated for drinking water.

The theory behind not using tape with gases, is that if a piece of the tape comes off it can get stuck in a valve and prevent proper metering or even shut-off of the gas. If you wrap the tape 2 threads up, and make sure you clean out joints when you un-thread them, you're probably safe. I just stick to blue block for gas lines.

PS: Blue Block will clean up off your hands and tools with isopropyl alcohol. but clothing will be permanently stained.
smatthew
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:29 pm

I have had people tell me they can still small gas when using the yellow tape.

check it with dishwashing soap mixed in water look brush it on the joint if you see bobbles you have a problem.

You may get you hand goooie with #5 but your less likely to loose them to a blast or never awakening from your sleep.

BE SAFE THEY SAY MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE .... WELL THINK TWICE WITH GAS ALL YOU NEED IS ONE SPARK. :cigar:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 am

Having ran miles and miles of teflon tape in my chemical maintainance days I decided to try the yellow tape when I ran the gas line to my stove in the chuckwagon. Despite making a couple - three extra wraps around the threads I had difficulty with leaks between the brass fittings and the black iron pipe. Black iron to black iron was fine but the iron to brass transitions were troublesome. In my opinion I had to OVER tighten them to finally get the bubbles from the soap check to go away. I will go back to the rector seal should the need arise next time.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets