Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby LDK » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:57 am

Hey Paul

That tongue jack in the middle of your frame is an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing that. I might go with that also. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:45 am

LDK wrote:Hey Paul

That tongue jack in the middle of your frame is an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing that. I might go with that also. :thumbsup:

Thanks Larry. The jack was twisting the tongue when mounted on the side rail and it really made me nervous. Now I have no twist at all. The only disadvantage is the the tongue does not fully fold out of the way so I use a small bungee to hold it while traveling. I may look into drilling another hole in the plate for the pin to snap into at the desired angle, but more than likely the bungee cords will suffice.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:56 am

parnold wrote:Hey Jim, are we related? :lol:

As promised, here I am in the campground, just about to start on dinner, and thought I would post my new pics.

First, my new cabinet door inside, and you can see my fantastic fan. I can't say enough about this fan... WOW!

Not so exciting, but while I was sitting around camp today, I painted my tongue. I bolted a crossbar on the tongue for my jack. This is temporary until I get my welding friend to come visit, then it will be cut to fit, and attached properly.

A few weeks ago, I painted the table that hangs off the back of the trailer. It used to just be crummy plywood. It took a few coats of fiberglass filler, and some glazing putty to get it smooth.

And lastly, my new awning. It still needs some tweaking.

Now that it's Friday night, I will finally have some neighbors here at the campground.

Paul,
I have used such a tarp for over 20 years. I backed my pickup with a camper cap under it and slept in the truck. It worked great most of the time.

I do see some issues with your set-up:

1) Rip stop nylon is too light and flimsy for this duty. My 12 x 12 Eureka tarp is heavier nylon and is reinforced at the hems and corners.

2) Try using 2 adjustable guy lines per corner, mine is set-up this way. This will help straighten the sides so water won't pool.

3) Make an attachment point where your center pole pokes through. Run a line from this point to something solid on your Tear. This will prevent the wind from lifting the tarp off the center pole.

4) My tarp has grommets at the corners and midway between each corner. In high wind or heavy rain I use extra ropes at these grommets to guy the tarp.

5) Make some seriously heavy duty ground stakes for the guy lines. I made mine from 1/2" steel rod, and I carry a lead mallet to drive them.

Wind and water pooling are the biggest problems, but if you use enough guy lines, especially 2 at each corner, you can overcome these problems. I do feel you will eventually be looking for a heavier material than the rip stop.
Don't ask me how I know this. :roll:

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby parnold » Fri May 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Happy One Year, Maiden Voyage, Anniversary to me!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby quaidmon » Fri May 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Happy 1 year anniversary! I watched your build from start to finish. Hope mine comes out half as nice as yours.
At least I'm enjoying the ride!
quaidmon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby parnold » Fri May 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Thank you for the kind words. I sure am enjoying it!

I took a peak at your gallery and yours is coming along nicely. Do you have a finish date you're shooting for?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby quaidmon » Sun May 08, 2011 7:28 pm

I was hoping to have it closed up and epoxied by early May, but with the weather we've had this spring and me not having a garage, I hope to be sealed up the first week of June. Cabin and galley cabinets can wait until I know what I want and need, the important thing is to get closed up and camping.
At least I'm enjoying the ride!
quaidmon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby parnold » Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

the important thing is to get closed up and camping.

I can't agree with you more!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun May 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Congrats on the one year anniversary of your maiden voyage Paul! Mine is coming up this Friday! It was a great year, and there are sure to be plenty more!!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 pm

My family reunion this weekend put a damper on my plans to go upstate for the Adirondack gathering. :(

I was planning a trip to Allaire State Park, since it is near my cousins home who is hosting the family re-union but.... no a/c and no electric at Allaire made me re-think my plans since it's like a million degrees here in Jersey.

I have Thursday, Friday, and the weekend off, so I went tonight (Wed) and purchased a little air conditioner, and my goal is to fabricate an enclosure for it, complete with hoses so that I can camp with a/c when I want/need to. Hopefully tomorrow night, I'll be testing out my creation!!

Pics will abound tomorrow.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Paul, you just keep making that lil' trailer better and better! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kurt301 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:05 am

Yep cant wait to see the A/C. When it comes to simplistic easy build design I think you should deffinatley get the prize Paul. I cant wait to build my own version

Two days ago I hit up your RV guy on Ebay and got the bay window, rear hatch, and entry door for $97 shipped

Today Lowe's for saw horses, lumber and saw horse brackets $30

Then a pawn shop. I got a good skil saw and a jig saw $25 out the door for both

So there you have it. Im already into it $152 to late to turn back now
Kurt301
Teardrop Inspector

Postby parnold » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:28 am

I had my a/c unit hooked up the other day in the blazing sun, and even with the trailer in the sun it brought the temp down gradually. Normally the tear will be under an awning, so the drop would be quicker. When I started the test, the tear was 94 degrees inside. By early evening I had it down to 60 degrees.

I have documented the a/c with pictures, but still haven't built the enclosure for it. Of course, now the temps are in the 70's here so no motivation to finish.. lol.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby LDK » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Hey Paul,
We need more info plus pics would be nice too. ;)
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Larry (&Becky):

I was going to wait until I finished the project to post pictures, but in the spirit of TT&TTT, here is the a/c build thread to date.

I purchased a $99.00 air conditioner.

Now I need to make a form fitting front for it, to be able to vent into the trailer, so I trace a profile on some cedar I had laying around.

Now where is that jigsaw?

Front piece is complete, with aluminum venting installed.

From the inside, so you can see the separation of the two chambers.

Add a little foam for a better seal...

Temporarily held to the A/C unit with a bungee.
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals