Above cabinet water tank

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Above cabinet water tank

Postby dh » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:15 pm

I was digging through my notebook today and came accross a design that got scrapped, but somebody might be able to run with. Ever notice how a lot of people hinge the hatch forward of the galley cabintes and have a gap above the cabinets? I planed on putting a (supplimental) water tank up there made out of 3'' or 4'' PVC pipe. The real beauty is it could gravity feed the sink, no pump requird.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Re: Above cabinet water tank

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:56 pm

dh wrote:I was digging through my notebook today and came accross a design that got scrapped, but somebody might be able to run with. Ever notice how a lot of people hinge the hatch forward of the galley cabintes and have a gap above the cabinets? I planed on putting a (supplimental) water tank up there made out of 3'' or 4'' PVC pipe. The real beauty is it could gravity feed the sink, no pump requird.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I was planning to use a couple of those 7 gallon plastic water jugs, modified to feed a sink but your idea sounds a whole lot better!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I was wondering what I was going to do with that bit of extra space. Now I know :applause: :applause:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:16 am

That's a great idea. I have a mostly unused space at the top of my galley that could take a 4" X 40" water tank that would hold more than 2 gallons

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby dh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 am

Ya slow, it isn't for everyone, just like your set up isn't for everyone, thats why I scrapped it. With your radical slope on the back, you wouldn't have room. It didn't work in my plan cause I went 9' long, and am going with a deeper counter which will put the cabs right at the hinge point.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:57 pm

That's a good spot to put the water supply.

On my teardrop it is deadspot (or rather will be when I finish the cabinets.) My upper cabinets are 12" deep which means they ended being about 8" from the top of the bulkhead.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby PcHistorian » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:26 pm

sounds like a good idea to me.

One of the things I am thinking about is the pump switch and this might be a good place to put this. Pump switch as part of the faucet valve. Pump switch separate. Pump switch in the line due to pipe pressure.

But I am also thinking, if I have an overhead tank of some kind, to refill it using a washing machine fill depth switch. Actually it operates on the depth of the hose tip, but the hose is filled with air. So as long as the supply tank had water in it, you could auto pump to the gravity feed overhead tank, and pump that until it reaches depth. Even have a warning light when the lower tank goes so low in water depth and maybe an auto shutoff to prevent damage to a pump in an empty tank.
(if you saw one of these switches in action you'd know instantly what I was talking about.)
Although I keep thinking, "we" fill the main tank until the vent overflows at the top? no?

For those who are in the build yet, but want to go camping, there are plastic bag water bags, with turn valves and usually a special holder opposite the spigot, like a hanging point... You could hang the bag on a hook over your sink until you had your full plumbing in, if you just had to get the shell out in the green heaven(s).
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:45 am

...or you could use a float switch for a bilge pump: made to do exactly that job and do it with 12V.
My (possibly dumb) question: if you have a pressure water system, what's the advantage of a high-mounted day tank ?
It won't really save you any amp hours because, either way, you have to expend the energy to lift that water and you would have to lift it even higher to get it to gravity feed. Plus the extra weight 'upstairs' while towing.
I'm sure there's an advantage that I'm not seeing....

On the ITT/Jabsco/Shurflo water pumps, the px switch is always at the pump head. Because water is incompressible, it doesn't matter where it goes. If you're looking to have some demand capacity without having to run the pump for a glass of water, an accumulator might be the way to go (if you have the space).
Or a water bottle in the icebox, lol.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:31 am

dh.... You may have seen that in my build thread or a post on the topic. I had it in my original design but later scrapped it. I was able to utilize the space for galley storage and that took priority. My design was gravity fed for both sink and shower. To refill, open a cap and pour water in. Empty tank while traveling. No electrical pump, no power needed, no switch .. hassle free.
StPatron
Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets