Ever Boondocked??

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Postby Larwyn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:42 am

When I was growing up camping meant going to the river to hunt and/or fish an staying overnight. We generally camped where we were least likely to see or hear anyone else, the only man made noise was those infernal oil well pumps off in the distance with their hit and miss engines. There was always a rifle, a fishing pole and a box of matches in the truck and everybody carried a pocket knife so the only packing for a camping trip would be the "luxury items" such as a bed roll and maybe some bread and cookies. There were plenty of natural springs along the river banks and we always filled a water can from one of them. Sometimes we left the truck at home and rode in on horseback, making it a trail ride of sorts, but it was kind of swampy in most of the bottom land with plenty of rattle snakes and water moccasins, not the safest conditions for a horse.

I think maybe that qualified as boondocking, but we just called it "fishing".
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby youandi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 pm

We prefer dry camping/Boondocking and usually camp near a stream (Spring Fed), lots of springs here in the Missouri & Arkansas Ozarks. As a few members have stated, you will need to bring everything you will need. Its all about having the right gear for the type of camping you like to do. Because we prefer primitive/dry-dock camping, we are self contained and are as comfortable in the National forest as other campers are at a state park with all the amenities.

Some of our gear includes generator, solar panels, water filtration system, hot pressurized shower, etc.

Mark Twain National Forest - Camping
Note: Amenities at this location Table & Lantern hook - That's All Folks!

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

youandi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BigAl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm

We only 'wild camp'. i.e. as far away from civilisation that is humanly possible. The small size of a tear is superbly adapted for that purpose.

Luckily, in Scotland we have a right of land access to wild camp enshrined in law. There is no law of trespass. I do appreciate that this seems to be a rare luxury, and of course the right to access comes with responsibilities.

Last weekend we camped from Friday to Sunday on the beach of a Sea Loch that we had to ourselves for the whole trip. It was wonderful.

Formal campsites put me off with their rules and noisy neighbours. There always seems to be somebody staggering back from the bar at midnight who feels the need to sing.
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby john warren » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 pm

90% is boondock, i can camp free on state land in michigan as long as its a mile away from a campground.
john warren
Teardrop Master

Most all the time

Postby mkitchen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:40 am

We have always boondocked. It was always more fun to be camped away from others. In the National Forests, at least here in AZ, you can camp most anywhere for up to two weeks. We would load up the cargo trailer with our gear and fill the Suburban with dogs and kids and off we would go.

In fact, this weekend, we will be leading a group of 4 wheelers from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon. It will be a three day trip that is all on backcountry roads (no pavement). :thumbsup:

Now with the kids gone, we use the TD or our off road trailer and travel further and stay out longer. Not using campgrounds calls for a bit more pre-planning but it is worth it. We carry a free standing shower/privy and have all the comforts of home in some sort or other.
Mikey :campfire:
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Boondocking

Postby lytle1gw » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:24 am

Love to boondock down at the LBL in kentucky fee of 25 per person for a year is very reasonable.
lytle1gw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:01 am

Wish I had more places around me to do some boondocking. However my favorite place to camp is boondocking in Northern PA, about 3 hours from me. I make it up there more than anywhere else every year for the past 10 years. Nothing more enjoyable than being miles from anyone!

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby kurtis1971 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 am

I have hiked all over the country with my knife, a small bedroll, water proof matches and a small tarp. I started in 1987 and stopped in 1992. now i would rather sleep in a teardrop. My old bones get creeky on the ground.
kurtis1971
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Ever Boondocked??

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:08 am

It's my favorite way to camp.
Last edited by Mukilteo on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Re: Ever Boondocked??

Postby wingnut » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:37 pm

In Montana we have lots of public lands and there a lots of places that people have been camping beside the rivers, lakes and steams for decades. There are also some of the small forest service campgrounds that are free and with only a picnic table and pit toilet. We use those camp site alot too. The free part we like alot. :)
wingnut
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to User Polls