So, this is going to sound wierd/strange/redundant...

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

So, this is going to sound wierd/strange/redundant...

Postby happy phantom » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:09 pm

But I got one of those ice cream makers for camping that is a ball that you roll around with the salt and ice.

I was thinking of pre-making the custard or whatever it would be called, and freezing it and then vaccum sealing it...it could then be thawed and dumped in this ball to make ice cream??

Would freezing it twice like that work? :thinking:
happy phantom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Sure, that will be fine. Refreezing only affects items with cells, like meat, fruit, or vegetables, because the ice crystals break the cell walls, making the food mushier every time it thaws again. Your custard has no cell walls to break. In fact, one of my ice cream recipe books says straight out, if you aren't happy with the texture of your ice cream, let it melt and re-freeze it.

Have fun. We have one of those balls, and took it on a cub scout camping trip last year. The boys LOVED it!

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby AddOptions » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 am

If you don't want to spend time making custard, just go to your local dairy or ice cream store and buy some soft serve ice cream base. It's the stuff they use to make soft serve ice cream and it works just fine for ice cream on the road.

The local university has a dairy lab that sells the ice cream base in gallon milk jugs for about the same price as a gallon of whole milk. It has more cream than a regular gallon of milk and the flavor added as well. You just keep the base with your milk in the cooler and use it as needed. If you beat it well, you can make a poor man's whipped cream as well.

I have also gotten it from the local dairy processing plant, a restaurant food supply and even convinced the local ice cream shop to sell me a box for scout activities.
AddOptions
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:37 am

i look at them everything i go. please let us know how they work, and how much work you have to put into it.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1