bought a folder bike

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

bought a folder bike

Postby nevadatear » Fri May 13, 2011 8:56 pm

We decided we wanted bikes for traveling around at the campsite, so we just ordered two citizen miami's. mine is pink and Randy's is apple green. I did a lot of searching, and I know these are low/entry level bikes, but we a minimal duffers and won't be riding them often, and just couldn't justify the much better and also much more expensive Downtubes or Dahons. And used ones are not showing up on craig list.

Here is a pic. They were $200 each, we got the better seat, back rack and bags for travel. Plan on hooking up the cooler table that sits on the side of the tear when camping to the back end of the tear to carry. We needed to transfer some weight off the tongue anyway. That will add 64 lbs and should help our heavy tongue.

Let you know how we like when we get.

Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 am

Wow! That looks like an awesome bike for $200. Now I need to find one! I wonder if they sell them here in Minnesota?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed May 18, 2011 11:04 am

Oh well. No Citizen Folding bike for me! They only hold 220#. I'm a little bigger than that. :(
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed May 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Sorry! :( The down side to pretty much all the folders is the weight limit is pretty low. And they are only on-line so MN would have been no problem. There are a few, but I don't remember which ones, which had a higher wt limit, but they are also, I believe higher in cost.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Re: bought a folder bike

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 pm

nevadatear wrote:Let you know how we like when we get.

I'd like to know too!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby glenpinpat » Wed May 18, 2011 6:41 pm

we just bought me a schwinn tango. my wife was given an hwe last year and we enjoyed it greatly so this year it was my turn.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed May 18, 2011 7:08 pm

BikeFriday makes delightful folding bikes in Oregon. A little more expensive than your average Dahon but well worth it in terms of reliability and durability. An acquaintance of mine has ridden his BikeFriday across the US at least once.

http://www.bikefriday.com/

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Bike Friday and Dahon were clearly superior, quality bikes, but alas, wayyyyy out of our budget for a bike riden 4-5 times a year. So inexpensive utility will have to do it. Just hope it is not too bad. It did seem to get better reviews than schwinn and what campingworld was selling, we shall see. Can't wait!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Any updates on this review of the Citizen bikes? I checked out the Camping World folder bikes for $149.00, but like the looks of the Citizen. Unfortunately they only sell direct, and can't see the bikes in person.

I am leaning toward the Citizen bike for price and features, accessories. I feel a more expensive bike just for around camp may be a target for theft. At the last trailer rally, a couple sites had their bikes stolen. Most likely from someone outside the camp ground.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rmclarke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:05 am

cuyeda wrote:Any updates on this review of the Citizen bikes?

+1.......I've been looking at these bikes too.......have they arrived yet?? inquiring minds want to know... 8)
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Postby cuyeda » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 pm

How do you like your Citizen bikes?
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 pm

3+

cuyeda wrote:Any updates on this review of the Citizen bikes?

Now that I can't fit any bikes into my trunk, I have to consider one of these too! So are they any good?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby nevadatear » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Sorry, folks, for not posting back! I have been in DC for two weeks on a business trip, and just slammed. We have had our citizen bikes since Memorial day, and I ride mine everyday. They are clearly not high end bikes, no shocks, steel and not cromalloy. but that being said, we are very happy with them. I am getting rid of my old bike, a good mountain/road hybrid for this bike as an everyday bike. My old body is very comfortable on the very upright style of this bike. I feel a bit like Dorothy in the wizard of oz, being so upright and with a removable basket I added.

Note that the gearing in the highest gear is not real high, so riding this bike long distance on flat or downhill will involve a lot of rotations.

They are pretty easy to fold up and we have taken them on two camping trips so far. One of the reasons we got the bikes was to add some weight to the back of the trailer, and we haven't figured out how to do that yet. probably will end up with a trailer hitch on the back of the trailer and leave them unfolded, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a folder. :thinking: Right now we are folding them and putting one in the Tow vehicle and one inside the trailer.

I absolutely recommend spending the extra on the more expensive seat. it is pretty comfortable. It would be uncomfortable on a long ride, but for me ANY seat will be uncomfortable for long ride. They are great for what we want, to ride around camp and farther, as in down the road a piece and some exploring. If you plan on carrying them folded, I would recommended the bags, as it keeps them protected and folded up well.

Be prepared, they attract attention wherever you got, but then again, we are teardropers, so we are all used to that! :lol:

For an entry level bike, it certainly meets our needs. We got the flamingo and olive green color. I will post pics when I finally get home tomorrow or Friday.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Bicycles