Sanatizing a redneck water tank.

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Sanatizing a redneck water tank.

Postby dh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 am

What would be the best way to sanatize PVC pipes before using them for fresh water? Bleach, commertial RV tank sanatizer, something else... The pipes where less than clean when I bought them. I cleaned out the dirt, but still want to sanatize them.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:37 am

Bleach will kill bacteria etc. but will do little for dirt or grease. Buy a brush, and I am thinking of a round brush used for cobwebs with a long handle use dish soap and scrub the heck out of it. Commercial RV tank cleaner is meant more for sanitizing rather than cleaning. I was originally thinking of using a Scotch Brite pad but in general I think you want to avoid scratching the inside of the PVC as much as possible.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:03 am

I was able to find a nalgene water tank in less than pristene condition. I filled it 1/2 full of hot water and liberally added some antibacterial dish soap then shook the hell out of it. Rinsed and rinsed again. Then added a cup of bleach to about 4 gallons of warm water and shook again. Finally rinsed twice with tap water. That was as good as it was gonna get for me.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:34 am

You can't sanitize something that isn't mechanically clean. You need to make sure you have removed all the crud before worrying about sanitization.

You can use hot water and an oxygen-based cleanser (oxyclean or similar) and follow that up with a bleach and water soak, and clean water rinse.

Make sure that PVC is rated for hot water though, you wouldn't want to damage it while cleaning it.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby dh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:55 am

I used a hand towel wrapped around the end of a broom handle and made a big 'Q-tip' and scrubbed it with WARM soapy water and got it spotless. As I thought I mentioned in the OP, I just need to sanatize it. I'll try bleach/water. Thanks for the sugestions.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets