Robbie's Benroy build- Now For Sale...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Robbie's Benroy build- Now For Sale...

Postby Robbie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:35 pm

**SOLD**

Hey guys, I've been lurking on here for a few months now gathering enough info to build my own TD and I'm about 2 weeks away from driving the first screw! I designed this trailer to be light enough to tow behind my 97' Subaru Outback, be practical and worthwhile, and have a small budget. The design is based off the Benroy plans at the top of the forum but customized slightly. Firstly, there will be no rear hatch. I've read a bunch of build journals and thought heavily about how it would be to have a kitchen galley with us when we camp. Were not hardcore campers and we don't usually go for more than 3 days. We always have our pop up tent canopy that is fully enclosed that we all store our food, coolers, tables, etc. in so there really is no need for the galley. Also, I wanted as much interior room as I could get because my wife thinks this will be like sleeping in a coffin. :lol: So the bigger inside the better. On to the design...

You can see the profile is very similar to the Benroy but where the hatch would be is an interior shelf and a tailgate on the outside that opens to a storage compartment where we can store the camping essentials and the battery and electrical (though I'm considering putting the electronics in a tongue box).

The construction will be a floor assembly made of 2x2 pine strips with a 1/2" OSB floor deck, undercoated with asphalt paint, and covered with vinyl flooring. The walls are 3/4" AC Fir plywood, no insulation as we only camp from about April to September. The roofing will be 1 1/8" Poplar spars, 1/8" Lauan plywood interior skin, and 1 layer of 1/8" Lauan with white FRP exterior skin. The inside will be painted with exterior grade paint and the outside will be sealed and painted white.

Working at a large architectural woodshop has helped a ton as I'm only the 2x2 pine strips and a sheet of OSB away from being able to construct the entire thing and I haven't spent a dime (less FRP, paints/primer/sealer, moldings, etc.). All I'll need is a trailer and all of the stuff your typical woodshop wouldn't have. I'm going to start building this on a 2x12 frame until I can afford a 4x8 trailer to put it on. But in the meantime I'll get everything else done and ready to go on.

I have more pics from the AutoCAD drawing but I forgot to put them on my jump drive so I'll load them up next week. And hopefully I'll be able to start on it next weekend!!!!1
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 27 times in total.
My aluminum benroy build:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:25 pm

I picked up the 2x2 pine strips tonight so I just need to pick up some screws from work and the OSB panel and I'll be ready to start building! Can't wait!
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Greg M » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Something to consider is that with the weight of the galley removed, the balance is going to be different. You may want to move the axle forward from the generic benroy plans so your tongue weight isn't too high.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Robbie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:41 am

Good idea. That's one reason I was gonna keep the battery in the back. I'm gonna get it all built and keep the axle hangar slightly loose and then check the tongue weight and adjust accordingly. The rear storage will be full of camping gear so hopefully the weight ratio will work out. I think my hitch is rated for 200 pounds and my Outback is lifted 1.5" so hopefully it will work out. I'm gonna weld the trailer up after I assemble it for extra strength and weld the axle hangars after I get their positioning right.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:12 am

Keep up the good work Robbie. My wife too used the word coffin. My advice is to get her into the tear asap. As soon as the walls are up get in it and lay down. My wife was alot better about it after that. Good luck.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Robbie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks Kirk! I'm hoping the same will happen with my wife. I've tried to set up a little mockup in the family room but I don't think that worked.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Windows sky-light all help remove that I'm in a stinking cave feeling.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:27 pm

because my wife thinks this will be like sleeping in a coffin. So the bigger inside the better...Image.. :lol:
Danny
The 300 Club

Postby Robbie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 am

:lol: Well I get my panels this week but unfortunately on saturday I broke my hand so the build start is put off for a few weeks. I am going to keep acquiring parts and updating my build thread in the meantime! Man typing with only your left hand when your right handed is really hard! :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:06 am

I got some updated CAD detail pics uploaded to my album of the shelf and rear storage cabinet. Also got my 3/4" AC Fir plywood and my 1/8" Lauan yesterday. Now to sweet talk the CNC operator to run my sides for me! :thumbsup:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Robbie wrote::lol: Well I get my panels this week but unfortunately on saturday I broke my hand so the build start is put off for a few weeks. I am going to keep acquiring parts and updating my build thread in the meantime! Man typing with only your left hand when your right handed is really hard! :lol:

Sorry to hear about that. You need to be careful when hitting a wall, that's where the real studs hang out!

Hopefully you weren't working on your TD when you broke your hand. The worst I did was drive a pneumatic brad through my finger!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:54 pm

No I wasn't working on it. I crashed my BMX bike at the skatepark and ended up going over the bars and basically punching the concrete.

I have most of the wood material in my garage with the panels still here at work. I'm getting the sides CNC'd out tomorrow afternoon or Monday morning and then it will all be home. I'm going to try and pick up the asphalt paint, some more poly construction adhesive, screws, and the CPES before my hand heals so I can start some serious work on it. With the sides cut, guide holes for the spar screws, and all the lumber I'm hoping the shell will go up pretty quick!
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Well now I officially have all the parts I need at home ready for assembly but still only one good hand. As soon as the doc gives me the OK I'll have this thing together in no time, at least the shell anyway!

viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:11 pm

Nice Robbie, but word to the wise. Decide what size wheel and tire your going to use and your axle placement due to the door placement. When I cut my first side and cut the door out I found that with the 14" wheels I was using and the fenders, the fender was in the door cut 4"! I then scrapped that wall and moved the door on the next ones. I had already purchase my trailer when I started my benroy so I didn't change much on it. I wish I had a CNC machine available when I cut mine out would have saved so much time and money :lol:. Hope you heal fast bud!

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:24 pm

A CNC? Lucky duck...precision cutting by machine and computer..A benroy is a good choice for the first build..
Danny
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals