Vintage Tent "The Polish Church"pictures

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Vintage Tent "The Polish Church"pictures

Postby eezerz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Hello everyone. I think I got a decent score yesterday. I'm recently into collecting vintage and canvas tents, I love 'em. I got this off the FREE section on CL. I'm sorry it's not a lantern or stove, but its vintage/old and from what I can tell it's very rare. The very nice lady I got it from told me it's a 1979. She and her brother camped in it as kids. They dubbed it "The Polish Church".
It is made in Poland by a company Legionowo. They are still in business, making everything from tents to hot air baloons ect;. I think the model is Zephyr IV. I cannot find anything on the net about it at all. So I'm sure it's very rare. Most people have never heard of the company.
It needs a small bit of cleaning and a new zipper pull(i broke it,easy fix), and one very small patch. I'll fix it up a bit and use it this winter. Possibly turn it into a HOT TENT.
If anyone on here knows anything about it, please add to this thread.
Here's some pictures:
Here are the pictures of the labels. One of the labels is from an import company in Montreal Canada called Action Trading. I think they have gone out of business?
More:
I thought I'd post it on here, as I have not found a decent tent forum on the net either.
I hope you enjoyed? :)
thismobilehouse.blogspot.com
eezerz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby parnold » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:33 pm

Hey, no need to apologize! We all have our "things" we like to collect, and this certainly is camping related!

Looks like a nice find!

:thumbsup:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:13 pm

If you have never stayed in a canvas tent, you have no idea how well they breath compared to nylon. I have owned 2 different $400 nylon mountain tents, but neither were anywhere near as breathable as my Eureka cabin tent. I wish I never sold it :cry:

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Nice looking tent. You make me wonder where our family tent from the 60's is. There is a certain smell of a canvas tent I still remember. I can still remember my Mom saying "Keep off the side of the tent, it's raining outside" . Sure enough one of us would against the tent in the morning with a wet sleeping bag.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Cool tent! I got my first canvas tent when I was 13. Saved up and got it from Sears. I had it all taped out on the floor for a week before it showed up. It's 45 now and I still have it.

At the Coleman gathering, a couple of guys had some vintage canvas tents. They always smell like camping. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby gregp136 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Great find. Enjoy.

Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Postby Maureenm » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Great tent! I totally remember the smell...and the wet sleeping bag experience. I imagine my dad's old canvas umbrella tent weighing more than my teardrop, at least it seems that way.
:beautiful:
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:47 am

Do you have any other vintage tents?

Not mine...

Sorry, I didn't get a photo of the outside of this 1930's tent.

Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eezerz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:28 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. Yes cuyeda I do have one more vintage tent. Its an old Coleman Oasis, but its in very bad condition unfortunately. It has a couple broken and bent poles and a "few" holes.
I like your photo of the Camplete umbrella tent, it is very unusual.
I am also into umbrella tents. I am currently searching for a Coleman Umbrella tent, and a WOODS version too. If I can find those 2 tents I'll be very happy. I may also try to find another Oasis in better condition and use mine for parts if need be.
I REALLY HATE THIS SECTION :thumbdown:
I am getting very addicted to all the vintage coleman camp gear and have developed quite a list in the past few weeks. No thanks to this site!
I will be aquiring anything 1970's COLEMAN from now on.
I really "DO" hate this section....LOL
:x
thismobilehouse.blogspot.com
eezerz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CliffinGA » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:34 am

I remember my dad had a big old army canvas tent and the smell and how heavy it was. Last year I was going through stuff at my moms and found it so rotten it was just in pieces.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Larry C » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:05 am

It's funny you all seem to remember the smell, so do I, that was the chemical waterproofing used on lower end tents. High end ($) canvas tents were made with cotton duck of various weights depending on usage. High thread count cotton duck (canvas) gets its waterproofing from the threads swelling when wet. No chemicals were needed for the entire life of the tent, and they didn't leak.

I had a Eureka 8x10 cabin tent (single wall) that weighed 30# I used it four seasons with a heater inside. It never leaked even in the worst driving rain/snow. It didn't smell at all dry or wet. Everything made today needs a rain fly to keep the water out which holds in the heat and doesn't breath like canvas.

There's a whole generation that has never experienced sleeping in a good canvas tent. I can hear the squirrels dropping pine cones on my tent to wake me up. :lol:

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby G503AZ » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:12 pm

I love the smell of old canvas in the morning, that smell, that odorous smell. nothing else smells like it, it smells like, time for breakfast. :lol:

I have a small wall military on my wish list. Canvas of course.
For now the dozen army pup tents will have to do. For display.
I sleep in a dome tent on an air matress. :roll:

Mark
G503AZ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 pm

eezerz wrote:I really "DO" hate this section....LOL
:x

Maybe you don't realize it...but the letters DO, stand for Dutch Oven...just another twist/item that you may be interested in when camping. Went out this last weekend, and we used the DO on lots of cooking. Just thought you might be interested.... :roll: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Aaron Coffee » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Wonder if you can get that "smell" in a aerosol can or some sort of air freshener.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mandy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 pm

I miss the smell of a canvas tent. It was a mixture of campfire smoke, pine trees, mildew and off bug spray. :thumbsup:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment