First real campout...Tannehill St. Park in the COMC

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

First real campout...Tannehill St. Park in the COMC

Postby Woodstramp » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:43 am

Coach of Many Colors...first travel pics.

Sweety and pooches, getting ready for the trip. Inside and outside are not near finished, but we were itching to hit the road. :)

The new rig towed amazingly well. Just need to put a 1" lift kit on and I think it will be good to go.

We made it to the park, a favorite of ours.

One thing I knew I'd love about having one of these small campers was how fast camp could be set up. If we still had the EasyUp canopy, this would have been set up in 15 minutes. This tarp rigging took 20.

With that fast camp set up, had time for exploring. Just so happens that a biker dude was set up close to us. He had a cargo trailer conversion going on. Of course I had to strike up a pow-pow. :) This guy, on the outside looked like someone you'd never mess with. Big guy. Got to talking to him and found out he and his trailer are just alike. Cargo trailer was a big, workhorse, with a deceiving exterior. Inside, the thing revealed an amazing craftsman. He had the coolest Harley flavored apartment inside. Big air bed lets down, the bike goes there for travelling. I did get a pic of this cool tiny BBQ grill he made. Gotta have one.

Told the guy about Mikenchell.com and the Cargo Conversion section. Might end up with a new member soon. Also happened to have another tent camper next to us who is in the process of gathering materials for a TD. Maybe he'll crank one out too.

Tannehill State Park is also a great place for events. Our traditional archery club has hosted many shoots here for almost two decades. About any weekend there is some kind of deal going on at the park Just so happens that the weekend we came there was an annual Volkswagon collector gathering the call the Bugbash. Neat VW's. VW rat rods, show cars, micro buses.....and even some old hippies. :)

The park is a historic site. Lot of other cool things there. This is one of my favorite spots on summer days. A large spring.

Then they have the huge iron furnace. It was excaved and restored back in the 70's. Nortern troops destoyed it during the War Between the States.

One of many old original cabins that have been brought here for preservation. Some they rent out, too.

Bunch of hiking trails too, if that is your thing. Here's me out hiking a ridge while looking for a Geocache.

If you are planning a road trip on I-20 and happen to be west of Birmingham, pull in and check out TSP. Nice place.

Well, this was a short trial type campout and it had to come to an end. Hitting the road.

Was a great experience using one of these tiny campers. Thanks for looking.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:32 am

Thanks for sharing your "Maiden Voyage". Amazing how the little trailers can build bridges with folks we would otherwise not become acquainted with.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks for Sharing Chuck! Glad it was a great first trip and I hope you continue to have great trips in trauler.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

From Mary's view point.....I Get it now!

Postby Woodstramp » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:20 pm

I have to tell you guys the whole story, b-cuz once again, Chuck is humble and won't bragg. (And he was not there for most of this-ironically) But, I am the wife, and I'll bragg on him any day. And, all of you proud owners and co-owners (especially builders and co-builders) of a tiny trailer, TD, should applaud too.
Here's the story. We pulled into the trailer hookup lots like we had soooo many times b-fore on the campgrounds (usually through this area and back to the end or primative areas to set up our tents. which then took the rest of the afternoon to do so.) This time was different, but, we still had the 'obviously little one', uhmmmp, yes in our site all around us are huge trailers, RV's and other, usually with a big W and some mountains painted on the sides. Which btw, I appreciate too, and I am very happy for these people in their ability to have obtained this level of size and comfort in thier travel vehicles. I just don't have a quarter of a mil. lying around. I don't have the kinds of vehichles that tow the larger ones. Then there is insurance and.....well, you get the idea.
I then realized very quickly there really are lots of 'kinds of' the bigger ones. Always again some larger, or smaller. Some have this or that, and some sleep this many or that or 22! people. So, Big and bigger is the idea right! well, I have always known while Chuck and I built this tiny trailer that "I just don't get it"? And as he seemed more and more excited about the plans. I seemed to ask, Why do it small? just get it a bit bigger here and there and.....he built it.
Well, as we began to enjoy this first camping weekend trying out the almost finished "Coat of Many Colors", People were coming (always when Chuck was gone! ug) over to, "see our Tear Drop from their other campers" with comments like. "I love this! We want one too." Commenting that they are so much easier, and you can take them everywhere or anywhere. Then a second couple walked up and asked about our "Little cute trailer!" (at this time I'm thinking it kinda looks like the freezer from my Grandmothers back porch to me since the decorative paint job is not done....not it a bad way, just all white so far" I just didn't see it yet.) Then a third couple of folks got off their motorcycles and came over to ask "Can we peek in to see what the inside looks like". Then our daughter said...."My daddy built this." when asked where did we get it, and where could they get one.
Then, I got it!!.......People loved our Tiny Trailer cuz it said to them, look what dreamers do. Build it themselves. And they start small. But, all the folks who had a larger RV said. This one has most everything we have in ways of comforts. (Maybe give or take a shower or toilet or two). But, this one is do-able. For the average person. Anyone can enjoy these Tear drops, and we can pull and tow and park it too, yep even the gals. (One lady asked.... as she shouted from the car. Is that a DeerDrop? Whatever?) She had heard of them too, and this web site, telling us about where to find it on the internet as we smiled and said we knew about it and thank you. What all these admirers and onlookers had in common is that all wanted one. They walked away encouraged that they too could build one one day, why, if the average man could do it I could too. And again,,, I got it!
This little trailer that I sit in even now with my lap top, has all I need as far as comforts for travel, it is obtainable, affordable, towable, and enough in a smaller pkg. But more so it brought my family and some freinds together to build and to travel again, and it has brought my family together again to be there for each other when one of us has a dream. Whether it is huge with a big 'W' on it and eight satelites on top, or even if it is a tiny little white freezer box, that everyone wanted to see! Bringing us together where the 2 tires meet the highways. And it says, we did it, like we do in America ...(what they don't know is Chuck is not just the average guy, he is extra ordinary, unique and inventive, like most of you guys too.) So applaud yourselves, go ahead :applause: And, keep on doing it until all your loved ones around you "get it". They'll catch on. Or they will go camping just once and see how wonderfully fun, convenient, affordable and comfortable it is. No matter how big. (btw, Chuck was not there each time a person came up to pat him on the back. I felt sooo bad for him.) He did not get the praise he deserved. But, Emi, our daughter did, and we told him. And, she loved saying, "My daddy built this!"
Be Blessed All, Mary, Chucks Wife.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Sneaky wife person,

Gonna get you. :twisted:

Shadow,

Yep. Not used to "tour groups" wandering in when camping. Was neat. I can imagine the kind of attention TF/TTT camper builders get if the rigs are really decked out wild or pretty if that many folks were interested in my plain looking deal.

Cliff,

I hope we get to wear the tread out on the new tires travelling. :) Prolly won't, but maybe.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Great pictures! ...Loved Mary's narrative.
Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodstramp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks Sharon,

Sweety is a hoot.......and sneaky. :o
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Paw_Paw_Drew » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 am

Just wanted to say hello. I am the one who camped next to you in a tent and my project jeep. I briefly talked to your husband about how I am collectin materials to build my own TTT.
Your trailer gave me enough ideas and incentive to start putting mine together.
Meet you at camp
Paw_Paw_Drew
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodstramp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Slow,

Thanks. Did have fun. Yeah, our TTT is kind of big as far as little campers go, but this was bare minimum for us three. Plus, I'm getting more clumsy/crookedy in my old age. :(

PawPawDrew,

Nice meeting you again. As to the trailer, don't hesitate. Just do it. Justify it by telling yourself that your Jeep NEEDS a little camper. 8) Your Jeep does need one. :) Your handle has PawPaw in it. Bet you got grandyoung'ns that would love it too.

My wife and I camped out again in the driveway last night. We both agreed we'd wished we had (known about and ) built one of these back when our girls were little.

One thing I would advise is to use one of these plans here. That and pre-fabbed doors/windows. I'm paying for a "I'll just build my own door and save some money." mistake. Been beating my brains out for 3 weeks with door seal, lock spacing problems. It'll get it done, but in hindsight, I'd have saved time/money just buying a door.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:57 pm

:o :thumbsup: :applause: I am still catching up and missed a lot. Wow! Very nice camper and so nice that you got to share! 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby WildTexan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 pm

I really like your camper. Gettin that first night in the camper is a huge relief. This is the first of many many fun trips.
WildTexan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodstramp » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:07 am

Miriam, Wildtexan,

Thank you both.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales