Things I use for a Dutch oven stand

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Things I use for a Dutch oven stand

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:01 pm

Bobhenry is always coming up with great ideas for recycling somebody's junk for camping purposes. I thought I'd share my different takes on a Dutch oven stand.

This is some sort of music stand I found for a few bucks at Goodwill. On it is an aluminum griddle sans handle. Works okay. Griddle is somewhat warped.

Same music stand with a commercial cookie sheet on it. Cookie sheet also came from Goodwill. This works very well. No windscreen, however.

Cookie sheet in action.

I bought a piece of 3/16" aluminum sheet, cut to 16" x 32", to fit my Camp Chef Expedition. It works extremely well, but will not support a pile of hot coals (as opposed to a ring). Got too hot and warped the aluminum.

Warped aluminum

This is a galvanized oil drain pan. I have two of them. They also work on the music stand, on the ground, in the firepit, or on the warped aluminum sheet.

This is the aluminum sheet before I used it. It was originally going to be used on this band saw base I took out from under my band saw when I built a custom cabinet for the band saw to sit on.

This is a firepit I have in my back yard. It worked well as I learned how to DO cook (such a short time ago)

This is my current project, a 16" x 32" x 10 Gauge (approx 1/8") sheet of hot rolled steel, wrapped in 1" angle iron. Just welded it together yesterday, and painted it today with high temp flat black paint. Ir is sitting on my Camp Chef Expedition, awaiting the fabrication of legs.

This was my most difficult learning experience. I forgot everything mentioned above, and had to cook on the fire grate in the grill box provided by the campground. The 10" worked (barely), but the 8" wouldn't sit level no matter what I did. Just goes to show you, it doesn't matter what you have, if you leave it at home! :o

God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 pm

i'm trying to figure out a DO stand also. When mine comes in this week, I'll start practicing with my firepit. But after that????

I love Bobhenry's way of repurposing stuff..I thrift a lot and have my eyes peeled for things that can be used for camping. Now I'm thinking I need to go back and pick up that camp stool I saw at a thrift...I have chairs, but can it be made into a DO stand??? Hmmmm...
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Re: Things I use for a Dutch oven stand

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 pm

I just posted this somewhere else, but this is my copy of Bob Henry's DO Stand

I made 2. :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm

I love the idea of a dutch oven stand but just more stuff to schlepp. Do you think that a large metal sheet on top of a picnic table would keep the table from burning? :roll:

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby honeask » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 pm

I could be wrong but I think at least there would be some scorching on a wood table. Park people might not be too happy about that. Again, only my opinion and I have been known to get it wrong. :lol:
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 am

A commercial grade cookie sheet or pizza round will work great on a park-provided BBQ. :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Maybe I will try it at home first. Place a few two by fours and put down a metal sheet and away we go. I usually just make my fire on the ground and bend down to tend it. The park service grills would work fine though but not all places have them.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Well, I don't have a picture of the Smoky Joe Weber Kettle as a DO stand for my 8" DO, but I have used it. Here's the 8" in the smallest "full size" Weber. We'll probably take the Smoky Joe with us on camping trips to use as the DO stand on picnic tables.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1