Newb from Ohio

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newb from Ohio

Postby crttaz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:30 am

Thawley led me here from a different forum, dang him!!!!!

I've been primarily on Honda Forums for the past fifteen years, most know me as Mista Bone, transzex, or bonespec.

I've had a dream for years to travel all 48 contiguous states, I only have the big 20 out west to cover.

A TD behind a Honda Accord Wagon or Odyssey Wagon is my plan.

I rebuild Honda 5 speed manual transmissions for a side hobby, can use this as an excuse to travel town to town and earn a little gas money plus yamp a day or two.

I haven't decided whether to buy or build yet, too many ideas right now :) Like just how much room do I need.

Time to downsize into a simpler life again. I did this back in 2005 when I lost my job and then house, so I'm rather good at being resourceful.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:22 am

Greetings and welcome.
I will suggest that you click on the Tearjerkers link above and come to one of the Buckeye gatherings. How big, is a perennial question and ours is 6'X10' and not too big. If you will be working out of the trailer and tow vehicle with specialized tools etc. you probably can not go too big.
There are two companies in Ohio that I know of that make teardrops, Little Guy (very minimal and cookie cutter) and Lefty Originals in Toledo that will customize to your needs and wants and built to last.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby crttaz » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 am

There was a Little Guy 6 wide Sport for sale on craigslist locally for $6500, had the ATV rack on the front, could be used as a work area.

The tools I'd carry would be about 100 lbs and likely NOT kept in the trailer. If I had to I could park the trailer in a campsite then travel where needed.

I'll make a few test runs in the next 2+ years before heading on a long trip.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 am

Welcome aboard neighbor!

Good luck trying to figure out a direction (buy or build), money (or lack there of) helped considerably (all) with my choice.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby crttaz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Money isn't an issue right now, time or lack there of is.

I'll read more into your build, seems like we share common ideas.

I've been brainstorming (scary!) and thinking a 5-5.5x8 on a HF or NT frame, tucking the tires under. I would use the extra room inside between the wheel arch and galley for storage, like an extra blanket and such.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Re: Newb from Ohio

Postby crttaz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 am

I'm BACK!!!!!!!

Well since the forum moved I was busy working.

Slight change of plans, I ended up buying a 2001 Honda CRV. :thinking:

My plans with either the Oddity or what ever I choose to tow with was to build a sleeping platform in the tow AND pull a tiny trailer.

Someone did about the same thing on another forum

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=50035

As I mentioned above, I rebuild/modify certain Honda manual trannys. I'm leaning toward the trailer being more of a work trailer but with a galley. That way if I needed I could drop the trailer and go off in the CRV "alone" to site see or hike. With a small trailer I could park the CRV beside the trailer, put up a 10x10 canopy and then a tarp over the trailer, canopy, and CRV for really wet weather.

I'll admit I'm a camping newb, so I'll need lots of practice to learn, that is a good thing right?

I will say this, I WILL have a EU2000 Honda Generator and a small AC unit for cooling. I cannot stand hot or muggy weather. I've seen the small AC unit placed under the TD with hoses, will try that. If I decide that I will sleep ONLY in the CRV I might get a roof top mount and run it only of the generator.

Many ideas, time to make some sawdust this winter.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:52 am

Humm

I was trying to find a link to a teardrop that is setup for a workshop as a Furrier wagon. The inside had the
guys mobile foundry setup and air compressor and other big items. The galley had pull-out rack or tool and shoes.
but sadly I can not find it.

GL on your build

Terry
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pappaw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:15 am

Kewl, another Cincy area Honda lover :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum. ;)

Cheers :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Postby crttaz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:30 am

Considering in some Honda forums I'm known worldwide, it is a great passion.

I have many ideas of what I wanna do, but not sure exactly how I'm gonna pull it off.

I guess that means lots of test runs?

I normally head to Mid Ohio on Saturday after work, get there about 8pm so that might be my short test trips.

Seems I need a 3 day, 3 week, 3 month setup that I can interchange with ease. I could see my 3 day setup being a 40"x48" tool trailer while sleeping in the tow.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 am

That is why I could not find it. I spelled Farrier wrong.

Check out these work wagons.

Silver Shadow Farrier Edition ( teardrop one )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Nx4 ... =endscreen

The Pony" - Compact Bumper Pull ( small trailer )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HT5huPv ... re=related

mobile workshop.wmv ( small trailer )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJz0qhvmms

Terry
Junkboy999
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby crttaz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:24 am

More ideas, LOL!

Likely I will buy a used TD, try some mods to my liking before attempting a build.

I wish I had a 7x16 and a cheap truck to pull it but could get 22+ mpg. Not gonna happen. I have looked at Ford's Transit Connects which are rated 22 mpg but others on a race forum I'm on are getting 25+ mpg from a HUGE Dodge Sprinter Diesel, but that is a huge upfront cost, even used they are getting $15-20k, ouch!

I have thought about a 60-65" wide TT, divided down the center to fit a twin LONG bed then outside access to my tools, about 15-18" deep? But the I could with ease overload one side of the trailer with tools. IIRC someone had a galley trailer set up like this. I've also thought of using the galley as a work bench area as right now I don't plan on cooking huge meals. Lunch meat sandwiches or hot soup with crackers can keep me happy a few days.

I really won't know until a few test trips and that is what scares me the most, but also drives me the most.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby crttaz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:49 pm

BUMP as I'm back looking for something tiny....took a few tries to remember my username though. :x

A few years ago I did convert my Honda CRX into a sleeper but will likely be looking for something bigger, like a MyPod or even bigger.

The CRX, slept a few nights in it in the Smokies and at Road Atlanta

Wide and long air mattress

Later did an easier conversion in my Honda CRV, untested on the trail as it suddenly became a 3 cylinder.

I'll be back to lurking for ideas as I'm not sure what the tow vehicle will be yet. Honda Ridgeline/Pilot or Toyota RAV4 V6 are early thoughts.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves