Moho's First Build, Updated 10-25-11

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Moho's First Build, Updated 10-25-11

Postby Moho » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:21 am

Starting a build journal as I will begin shell assembly tomorrow. Plan is a Benroy Shaped Woody with a bunk for the 2 year old. Did a quick 3d model of it for personal reference below.

All the cabinetry isn't perfectly to scale or position, as I plan to deal with it more as I go. I also decided to drop the overall height to 4' 6" as it looks more streamlined and not so bulky in my opionion.

Have the frame ready and subfloor was attached today. Thanks to the "help" from my son (the 2 year old) it only took like 3 hours to attach the subfloor :?

Picked up the 5x5x 1/4 Baltic Birch Panels for the inside and outside walls as 10 foot long 1/4" plywood is unavailable anywhere near me. I also got a ton of 1x2x10's and 2x2's.

I have some really nice exotic woods I have been saving that I plan to use on the interior, including several pieces of 50,000+ year old Ancient Kauri from New Zealand that I'm really excited about. If you don't know what this stuff is, check it out here... http://www.ancientwood.com/

Last edited by Moho on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:35 am

If you continue to feed your 2 year old he/she will grow and eventually become a teenager. I would suggest that you have a plan for his/her bunk so that the space is easily converted to useful space after it is outgrown as a bunk (unless he/she is constantly trained as a contortionist).

The exotic wood sounds cool.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Moho » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:09 am

I've already done that. The enclosure for the bunk will be removeable when it gets to that point and then I can convert it to useable cabinet space (or just build another tear, lol)
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:13 am

Moho wrote:I've already done that. The enclosure for the bunk will be removeable when it gets to that point and then I can convert it to useable cabinet space (or just build another tear, lol)

Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Good job thinking ahead.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:42 pm

And the Lord came to late to see. And the Lord say unto the "Where are the pictures". :snappy:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Moho » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Got started today, woohoo the sawdust is flying!

Got both of the outer skins and profiles cut and started the framing. Took quite a while to make the first cut, measure twice (in my case four times) and cut once.

The 3/8 OSB worked well for the profile and after several cuts of scraps I had, I found out the best width for making the arc was 4". Anything wider and it wouldn't bend. Anything skinnier and it broke.

Image Image Image
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby Moho » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 am

Got the drivers side wall framed as well as the vertical nailers. Next side will go much faster now that I have the layout worked out. As soon as I work out the windows rough framing, I will put the outer skin on the wall.

Deciding on whether or not to buy my windows or make wooden frame awning windows. I'm waiting on a phone call from Truth Window to discuss the window hardware options before deciding. I realize purchasing windows is a MUCH cheaper and easier option but just don't care for the look of aluminum frames on a woody.

Considering the below operator and hinge..
Operator & Hinge

Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby Moho » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Just decided a couple of things I'm pretty excited about. For interior speakers I'm gonna remove the front halves of the below and mount it to the wall.

And for tailights I have a couple of old non working Shure 55's I'm gonna convert to tailights. :twisted:

Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby Jpageau » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:53 pm

ooooo i really like the old mic. taillight idea!!
Jpageau
Teardrop Advisor

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:29 pm

Super cool ideas. Keep up the good work. :applause: :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby 3822sean » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:47 pm

very cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8)
3822sean
Teardrop Master

Postby Moho » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:15 am

Passenger side wall done, gonna skin this evening so I can get them upright :)

Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby Jpageau » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:18 am

ok, stupid newbie question? how do you get the framing to bend. what's the secret? sorry for the dumb question. looks awesome!
Jpageau
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Moho » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 am

Cut it out from 3/4" ply and joined it using the 1st method described from the below post.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34381

I plan on making my own steam box from pvc for the trim which is how you make wood bend. To create the steam I plan on using a hotplate and a large teakettle hooked up to the below.

Steam Box Construction
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:26 am

Jpageau wrote:ok, stupid newbie question? how do you get the framing to bend. what's the secret? sorry for the dumb question. looks awesome!

Some join short sections of dimensional lumber while others on here have ripped multiple layers of 1/8 plywood and bent and glued the layers, They are then held in a clamping jig designed to the desired profile.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=45747&highlight=jig
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Build Journals