PTI and YOM in California

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

PTI and YOM in California

Postby cuyeda » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:41 pm

PTI = Permanent Trailer Indentification
YOM - Year of Manfacturer

Is it possible to register a PTI registration, and use a YOM license plate?
Will there be an annual renewal fee for registering a YOM, but in the PTI category?

My last visit at the DMV to get a PTI registration I was told this is possible. We all know how informed some of the staff members are at DMV.:lol: The plate that was registered was an incorrect color/letters, so was unable to get processed at the time. I now have the correct plate color (yellow), letters (black) to use on my trailer with corresponding year sticker.

1957 YOM = 1956 yellow/black plate with 1957 red/black sticker.

I want to be able to share the knowledge when I get to the DMV window, and not have them waste my time.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Just got off the phone with DMV special interests, so I am going to answer my own question here rather than delete the original post for anyone interested.

Is it possible to register a PTI registration, and use a YOM license plate?

Ans: Yes you can register PTI with YOM.

Will there be an annual renewal fee for registering a YOM, but in the PTI category?

Ans: The usual PTI fee applies, there is an initial application fee $45 for YOM, but it is not a yearly renewal fee.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of getting a YOM plate for my '48 teardrop and wondered how to do it.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:19 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of getting a YOM plate for my '48 teardrop and wondered how to do it.

<Chas>

I have a 1947 trailer plate yellow/black lettering for sale if you need one. It has three small nail holes where the previous owner hung it on the wall. PM me if interested.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

DMV hoops

Postby nrody » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:14 pm

I just got done at the dmv today for the 10' Red Dale I picked up a few weeks ago in Oregon. California DMV is very interesting when regestering an out of state trailer. Two visits to AAA not sucessful, 3 visits with CHP (very helpful officer) to get the vin verified correctly and 2 visits to the DMV. While regestering it the supervisor told me it did not qualify for the pti plates and the person who was processing the title gave me the pti plates. I could hardly contain myself as I skidaddled out the door but quick with my new pti plate hoping no one would be chasing me out to the parking lot to rip the "wrong" plate out of my hands. :wacky :crazy:
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 pm

OMG! Three hours at the DMV, and walked out with nothing! Will spare you most of the time wasting details. Sent out of the window line several times so they could call DMV Sacramento to ask questions they didn't have answers to. I thought to myself everything was going to be ok in the end since I called yesterday to ask the very same questions and was given a YES every time.

Well... The DMV staff helping me couldn't get the computer to finalize my YOM application, using my current PTI license plate number. Their last statement is that I would have to discontinue PTI, and go with regular annual renewal. PTI and YOM cannot be done together.

I was thinking a few choice words as I left the DMV. This can't be right! Got home in time to make another call to DMV myself, and they will get back to me after researching the subject to let me know.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:24 pm

cuyeda wrote: PTI and YOM cannot be done together. . . . I was thinking a few choice words as I left the DMV. . ..

PTI +YOM = PITA? ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Nick Taylor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Cliff, I'll be curious to see what happens. My DMV page gets an awful lot of traffic and I like to keep it updated.

http://nicksteardrop.com/dmv.htm
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby cuyeda » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Nick, etal,

Just got off the phone today with DMV Special Services 916-657-8035. Not a happy camper regarding the answer given. PTI cannot be combined with a YOM. It is one or the other. The drawback of having the YOM is the yearly registration + the YOM fee (10.00??).
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nick Taylor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:37 pm

I'll have to pay closer attention at the next vintage meet to see if anyone has YOM plates with PTI stickers. This reminds me of the trouble I had with my personalized plate and PTI but at least that is called out in the DMV manual as being valid.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby cuyeda » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:03 pm

With all the different answers I get from the DMV, I still have hope. So if anyone that has PTI + YOM please fill us in.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nick Taylor » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Looking at the rule book it seems that it is not restricted but not clearly implied as being valid.

From section 21.340 (page 21-43):

• In lieu of the license plates otherwise required for the vehicle, YOM plates may
be assigned to any currently registered:
— 1969 or older year model auto, motorcycle, or trailer of a corresponding
model year, or
— 1972 or older commercial vehicle of a corresponding model year.

The two keys here are the statements "in lieu of the licences plates otherwise required" and "any currenty registered".

To me that says that in lieu of the PTI plate you may have even if it's a regular plate with a PTI sticker.

What do you think?
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Dmv

Postby nrody » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Good luck with that. I got lucky to get the pti for my timy trailer. :o
nrody
Nancy
nrody
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:09 pm

While at the DMV the answers were sketchy. The staff (and supervisor) tried to enter codes that would allow the YOM to be added. At this point everyone thought it could be done (including the supervisor). The computer wouldn't allow the entry.

Is it possible since this issue doesn't come up much that the computer program needs some tweaking so that it could be entered. Wishful thinking. Perhaps I'll try again, and someone will crack the system code!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Cliff, get your YOM plate issued and then go home. Then after you get your new reg. from Sac, go back to DMV and request a PTI sticker. It shouldn't be any different than having a personal plate with a PTI sticker. That's what I have on my teardrop. :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion