coolers

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Glenlivet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:34 am

One thing I found when I had my old 7 x 14 cargo was a way to make my cooler ice last longer.
I went back to the trailer one hot day and found that the coolers plastic exterior was hot to the touch. I figured this can't be good, and the insulation can only do so much. Too much heat must be getting in at my ice block, maybe I can help it out.
I had some aluminized space blankets and I wrapped the cooler loosely with one of them.
Instant difference! Next time I went to the cooler I found that the outside of the cooler box was now cool to the touch under that simple flimsy little reflective cover.

My buddy had a 7 x 14 too, parked right beside mine, making it a perfect control test platform.
He used coolers too, and as it turned out, my ice lasted twice as long as his, due to that simple trick.

So I made myself a blanket for this cooler (actually a fully encasing cover with a bottom) out of Reflectex insulating material, cut to shape and duct taped. Just like the energy saving hot water tank blankets you can buy. The cooler blanket's lid has velcro tabs to help it stay closed, that can barely be seen in this pic.
Doesn't take up much more space, doesn't look that bad, and it works like a hot damn, to use an inappropriate metaphor...

Glenlivet
Donating Member

Postby Maureenm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Freakin' genius :thumbsup: Looks simple and reasonably cheap!
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby pete.wilson » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:31 am

Hey

If your like me and getting tired of the usual Coleman and Igloo coolers and how they don't keep ice; then, I suggest you look into YETI Coolers. They are very pricey (I bought an 85qt unit for $380.00) BUT it proved to hold ice. I left on April 23rd for a week long Bigfoot/Camping trip here in Virginia and returned home on May 2nd. I used a total of 4 bags of ice, including the initial fill and it lasted until Wed. May 4th with the water still being rather cool. The weather was from 60's at night to the low 90's on most days with a medium amount of humidity. I used 6 bags of ice to keep drinks cold in a small igloo picnic basket cooler that lost ice at a rate of 1 bag each day. This cooler is much better designed, built and will last me for years, not to mention Bear Resistant. I'm planning on buying a second one slightly smaller soon and giving my Coleman's and Igloo's away. Check out: www.yeticoolers.com for more info. :thumbsup:

Pete Wilson

BTW - I got mine through Bass Pro Shops
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:31 pm

The Yeti is on my wish list already. I have a Frigid Rigid that will hold ice for a week to 10 days, but it is way too big for the teardrop.
Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets