Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Norm , the worse that can happen is I’ll draw some ants ... :o As with Eagles experience , ants do seem drawn to trailers ... :lol: I had an ant problem in my old wooden TD ... :roll: I WILL try that !!!
Tart , Great find !!!! Likely Dacron , which was a fabric we discussed some many pages back ... 8) 8) 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:21 pm

tartosuc wrote:HI,
I got a bunch of sails that were put to garbage..its very thick and slick canevas, do you guy's think it could be used to re-do a roof? what kind of adhesive would you use with it?

I'm not sure if you can glue it. Its the slick part makes me concerned.

Its probably treated to keep it from getting water logged. If water can't soak in neither will glue.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:15 pm

Chart, I’m Sure there's something to glue those sails on with ... something Foam compatible ... If not they’s make great awnings .... Very Thrifty !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:50 pm

GPW wrote:Chart, I’m Sure there's something to glue those sails on with ... something Foam compatible ... If not they’s make great awnings .... Very Thrifty !!! :thumbsup:

Its probably some sort of plastic coating like PVC. Anything that would work with PVC would dissolve the foam.

I can only imagine something like maybe contact cement and a lot of pain. :x
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 pm

tartosuc, those sails should indeed be Dacron (nylon). Epoxy will work and won't hurt the styrofoam but it will kick 'thrifty' in the backside....

I agree with the testing idea - it might take quite a bit to wet them out since the weave is usually so tight on a main.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby tartosuc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:38 am

From what i could see the sails are waterproof and will not absorb any type of glue so my thinking is that i will need someking of contact cement to be able to "glue it". on my trailer the top is not styrofoam but wood so i'm not worried about hurting foam with the glue i will use.

it too cold to do testing outside, i will cut pices of sails to test with different type of glues/epoxy/contact cement.

keep sugegstion coming, i have no knowledge in gluing stuff.

i'll try to get info in a boat shop
tartosuc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:44 am

omg, i would think molasses would attract those ants. ick.

in my case i am just glad they only tried coming up on the tripod and electric cord. taking care of that was easy, put water bowls around tripod legs and remove the electric cord. so glad they did not start using the tires. now that would have been a problem.

those sails look pretty cool, but seems to be a technical thing. so i will leave that one alone.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:03 pm

OK, Got some Molasses , going to try it .... hope someone wasn’t just having me on ... :lol: We’ll see if it attracts any wildlife ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chartle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:46 pm

GPW wrote:OK, Got some Molasses , going to try it .... hope someone wasn’t just having me on ... :lol: We’ll see if it attracts any wildlife ... :roll:

I may work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses#Industrial

Molasses is acidic so it would be like using Navel Jelly.
chartle
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Naval Jelly , but my navel’s not rusted ... :o I will try it in a few minutes ... be back ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Had to happen sooner or later ... we’ve run out of words ... :o Everybody knows what to do , so lets get down to building !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 pm

I didn't run out of words what I did was I ran into a flu-bug big old bug was he came 3 weeks ago and I'm still cleaning up the mess he left.

ps: I now own part of kimbler-clark........... :cry:
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:42 am

Pete , hope you’re feeling Better now !!! :thumbsup:

Just a few more words on the subject ... :roll: I’m always amazed at the interest I get from non-trailer folks ( trailer Muggles) about Foamies ... Yesterday I ran into a gentleman who owns a Huge shutter Factory here... and his first words were questions about Foamie trailers ... Here’s a guy that could easily afford a big A MH , but is fascinated by the idea of a Thrifty Alternative :o ... and the ultimate practicality of such constructions ...
All I have to do here is mention the K word (Katrina) and everybody instantly understands my motives ... and No one has had anything negative to say about it at all ...
:thumbsup:
I swear if "I was 20 years younger" , I’d start a small company to make Foamie EVAC trailers ... I already have a list of people who have offered to buy mine ... Talk about creating jobs ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:51 am

We are waiting on the bolt report. :)

Still planning and dreaming. Collecting parts and saving to have the trailer built. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:52 am

B’, Still soaking ... The YT video said a couple days , so I’m giving it a fair test ... those bolts are pretty NASTY corroded ... If this works it’ll be a miracle ... :roll:
And if it actually does work , I may try it on those rusted springs and other large parts ... :shock: Ideally if it works on the other parts ,then they can be saved with a good coat of Rustoleum ... all the bolts , have to go .... can’t save any of that , just have to get them off ... still may have to resort to the grinder ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies