Recommendations for winter unmentionables?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Recommendations for winter unmentionables?

Postby Alleged User » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:40 pm

My husband just surprised me by suggesting we try to get in another camping trip this month. Any recommendations out there for thermal underwear? Which brands work for you? I'm a good sport, but I don't want to freeze things off.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby 48Rob » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:44 pm

Pretty much anything, in layers.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:47 pm

agree: layers. and more layers. and don't forget the heater. and firewood. did i mention layers and a heater? :lol:

i hate being cold. but enjoy yourself. i would love to go out for one last trip.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby BigAl » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:33 pm

Take a couple of hot water bottles. When it's freezing cold they are worth their weight in gold. (That's not a rap)
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:54 pm

If you have mucho $$ to spend on underwear, UnderArmor is probably the best, but priced like it.

I like REI's house brand, it's available in 3 weights, doesn't accumulate odor like old-style polypro, and is much less expensive than name brands.

I have an expedition-weight top that I got in the bargain bin at Sierra Designs clearance years ago that I love for sleep wear in cold weather, but I have no chance of finding another like it when it's worn out.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:25 pm

No cotton next to your skin as it just gets wet and loses it's insulation value. Wool or the new sythetics. Smart wool does not itch. Most important is your head cover.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Ditch the old style cotton long johns and look for a synthetic (or silk) base layer. I don't buy the expensive stuff...the last couple years Marcia and I have been wearing an off the shelf Costco Brand called Paradox which is labled 92% polyester, 8% spandex..whatever that means!
:thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby cdfnchico » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:48 pm

I second the layers advice. But would also advise you have some of the "Handwarmer" packets. Costco's selling a big box of them right now.Stick one in each sock at bedtime and hold one in your hand. If your hands and feet are warm...you're warm!
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:12 pm

What's really nice.....flannel lined jeans! I used to get them at LL Bean. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby tearhead » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:25 pm

So, Mike, are the two pair of pantihose for warmth, or for helping the rest slide on better? Favorite brand? :R
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Verna » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Two layer synthetic long johns from Land's End, jeans, long sleeve t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, wind pants, wind jacket, synthetic balaclava, synthetic glove liners, leather gloves and 180's (ear muffs). Sub zero, break out the down alternative Land's End parka and ski pants. Synthetic socks next to the skin, wool blend socks and "Mickey Mouse Boots". Always keep an extra pair of dry socks in an inside pocket--if your feet are wet, you're not going to get much done.

Oh yeah, I installed telephone service outside for over 20 years for Ma Bell. Yes, climbed telephone poles, carried that 28' ladder, worked outside in all kinds of weather. I really, really hate mud, worse than I dislike winter and getting cole :?

But, if you're just going to be around the campfire, watch out for the synthetic fabrics, please.

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:51 am

Verna wrote:Two layer synthetic long johns from Land's End, jeans, long sleeve t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, wind pants, wind jacket, synthetic balaclava, synthetic glove liners, leather gloves and 180's (ear muffs). Sub zero, break out the down alternative Land's End parka and ski pants. Synthetic socks next to the skin, wool blend socks and "Mickey Mouse Boots". Always keep an extra pair of dry socks in an inside pocket--if your feet are wet, you're not going to get much done.

Oh yeah, I installed telephone service outside for over 20 years for Ma Bell. Yes, climbed telephone poles, carried that 28' ladder, worked outside in all kinds of weather. I really, really hate mud, worse than I dislike winter and getting cole :?

But, if you're just going to be around the campfire, watch out for the synthetic fabrics, please.

Verna

Campfire warning dittoed here! As a young camper (a long time ago, in a place far far away), my toes were cold and I took off my boots to warm da piggies by the fire. Melted the bottom of the socks! Oops. Feet never really thawed that trip either LOL. Since then, I've used those feet warmer thingies that warm up when exposed to air. No more socked feet warmed by fires!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby honeask » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:05 am

For the ladies, Cuddl-Duds. Not sure about the spelling right now and too lazy to go look. I know this is for my milder temps but when I used to work, I had a big window right by my computer and it would get cold. I started looking for something to wear under work clothes. I was getting the nice slinky kind for under nice blouses and slacks and a lady walked up behind me in line and she had the thermal kind, say they worked great in the OR cause the hospital keeps the OR's so cold. I went back and bought the thermal kind also for play time. They work great for me along with layers. I use them a lot when I work outside doing Rodeo volunteering in February and March. We might not get much snow but a wet cold can also be miserable.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 am

The Cudl-Duds work pretty well, very well for the price. We just picked up a few from Sam's Club this weekend for my wife for 12 bucks for each piece.

I prefer the RedHead brand, myself. Theirs is about twice the thickness of the Cudl-Duds and much, much warmer. It's also available in tall sizes for those of us with leg and arm extensions. It's a little more expensive at around 22 bucks for each piece, but you only buy one set, so the costs isn't much to worry about.

I prefer polypropelene for an insulating layer over cotton. Poly is warmer, stays warm if it gets damp, doesn't hold odor as badly and dries out a lot faster than cotton. The one downside you need to be aware of is that polypropelene (and spandex, found in more and more of these garments) is PLASTIC. Firefighters call this stuff "shrink wrap". Be CAREFUL around the campfire wearing this stuff!

Having said that, I've hunted and camped in poly layers for 20 years. I've never been injured and don't know of anyone who has. You won't spontaneously combust from wearing this stuff near the fire. Just be aware that if your fire suddenly flares or spits a cloud of sparks your way, your first job is to GET AWAY!

There are other options (merino woll is about the best), but the expense gets a little ridiculous. Merino wool undergarments will keep you warm in just about anything and aren't any kind of fire hazard. Unfortuntely, a set will cost you around $160-$200.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Alleged User » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:23 am

Wow...tons of recommendations. Thanks so much, everyone!

Have quite a few brands to pick from. Hopefully should catch some sales soon.

We'll have the warmest buns east of the Mississippi, thanks to all of you.
:campfire:
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Next

Return to Camping Secrets