Truck Canopy Trailer - Updates... Solar Panel, Jack, etc.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:25 am

I didn't think I'd like it at first. I couldn't get a mental visual. But I really do!!! The color is perfect, and made a huge difference, but the whole design just really flows. You're a visionary. Sometimes it just takes being able to see in your mind what other people can't. You done good!!
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby ohbugger » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Got the lights in!

$15 at Amazon.com... and I didn't even use the whole roll. The roll of lighting is over 16 feet and I used about 11 feet. You can cut the lighting every 3 lights so it's great for fitting it to the size you need. Also, it's really cheap and being LEDs very efficient for powering via battery. I have on order a remote controllable dimmer, but a simple 500 or 1,000 ohm potentiometer would work as well.
Lights:
http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Strip-Br ... 286&sr=8-2
Remote Control Dimmer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Remote ... 837wt_1061

This fishbowl is really gonna need curtains, but I can't exactly screw curtain rods or rails to a fiberglass shell. Hmmm...
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Erik,

How about Velcro, just stick it to the carpet lining.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby bc toys » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:00 pm

how is the fabric holding up to the road dirt thinking it would get pretty dirty
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby canned o minimum » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:22 pm

I too must admit that the theory of the build seemed a bit quirky and odd when I first saw it.. but man oh man !

The part about the roof,windows and door bein DONE right from th git go.. WOW!

I too am a detail oriented sorta fella, and I jus love what ya done ! It's unique and functional.

Oh.. you WILL build a tear.. "I" guarantee it !

But I really do like this build ! Electrics is NOT my strong point..wood working.. oh yeah !

Now ya gots ME thinkin bout a standie with yer roof,windows,door idea !!

Ya KNOW ya have a winner when folks wanna COPY yer creation !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ohbugger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Wolfgang92025 wrote:Erik,

How about Velcro, just stick it to the carpet lining.

That's a good idea! I think I actually figured it out... snaps!
Just replace some of the screws holding the windows in with these, then sew a fabric panel with snaps. I'll do that for the 3 windows, then I've got a different idea for the door/window.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby ohbugger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:41 pm

bc toys wrote:how is the fabric holding up to the road dirt thinking it would get pretty dirty

I haven't taken it out yet, but the fabric is buried under quite a few layers of semi-gloss latex exterior paint. It will be fine.
The reason I haven't taken it out is because of the top. I have it sanded down and it looks smooth, but it's actually full of micro-scratches from the sanding. Any dirt that gets on it stains it instantly as the dirt settles into the pores and scratches. I have a friend who will help me spray it with an epoxy paint OR I will just buff and wax the whole thing with fiberglass rubbing compound to get a glossier surface that won't trap dirt and stains.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby ohbugger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:45 pm

canned o minimum wrote:I too must admit that the theory of the build seemed a bit quirky and odd when I first saw it.. but man oh man !

The part about the roof,windows and door bein DONE right from th git go.. WOW!

I too am a detail oriented sorta fella, and I jus love what ya done ! It's unique and functional.

Oh.. you WILL build a tear.. "I" guarantee it !

But I really do like this build ! Electrics is NOT my strong point..wood working.. oh yeah !

Now ya gots ME thinkin bout a standie with yer roof,windows,door idea !!

Ya KNOW ya have a winner when folks wanna COPY yer creation !

Sweet, thanks! Get a nice top with good paint. That was probably the biggest mistake I made. The top was $120 or so, but I'll probably put $200 into it to get it back in shape. Should've just spent $300 on a topper in good condition.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby Loader » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Just found your build thread Erik. The trailer look great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great use of an existing product to get a large, roomy and functional trailer!

One thing I really like about our T&TT group, each trailer is unique, just like each forum member!

Well done Erik!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ohbugger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Got some of the wiring wrapped up.
12 volt socket, and 2 switches on each side toward the rear.
Also, a close up of the lighting when it's off.
It's a 1" by 5'6" piece of lauan wrapped in metal tape attached to the roof of the canopy, then the LED lighting which has adhesive on the back is stuck on. It helps the lighting look a little more defined and I imagine the adhesive on the lighting would have stuck to the carpeting for maybe a day or two.
Like I said earlier the lighting can be cut every 3 lights to get a good fit. I've got 2 strips of 102 LEDs for 204 total. Sounds ridiculous, but a dimmer will go in for when I want to bring the brightness down. It also puts out nice diffused lighting. Also, still draws less power than a bulb but I am sure nobody is using bulbs anyways these days.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:21 pm

I spose that findin a used one would be a bit hard to find, and gettin one in GOOD shape may prove to be even more difficult. The ine thing "I" have learned over the years is.. if ya ain't in a hurry.. thangs jus come yer way !

I had a mini truck with a camper shell on it.. always wanted it to be a bit taller.. now that I am older and wiser...well any way.. maybe I can copy yer build to an extent and make me a standie !

Thanx fer the inspiration !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Erik,

Your camper is really turning out nice. Those lights are cool too! It's almost time to take her out on her first outing.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ohbugger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 pm

canned o minimum wrote:I spose that findin a used one would be a bit hard to find, and gettin one in GOOD shape may prove to be even more difficult. The ine thing "I" have learned over the years is.. if ya ain't in a hurry.. thangs jus come yer way !

I had a mini truck with a camper shell on it.. always wanted it to be a bit taller.. now that I am older and wiser...well any way.. maybe I can copy yer build to an extent and make me a standie !

Thanx fer the inspiration !

Have you ever used Craigslist? http://www.craigslist.org If you looked at the Los Angeles Craigslist you'll find tons. If you are in a bigger city you can almost find anything and the price just depends on whether someone just wants it gone or not.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby canned o minimum » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:32 pm

Craigslist is how I found my salvaged Little Guy ! I love craigslist !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ohbugger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Great, I find a lot of people are intimidated by craigslist. Especially the part about buying something from a stranger. I have had nothing but good experiences. Glad you found your trailer there! Now you want to build something from scratch? Oh boy, there goes all your free time!
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals