PTI and YOM in California

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby cuyeda » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Bingo! Success! I now have a PTI on YOM plates! Well at least the paper work submitted says I do. After the usual drill, fact finding, and supervisor call to DMV Sacramento, the staff finally got the codes that would allow my paper work to be processed.

Once the paper work is submitted, a waiting period of 60-90 days to make sure everything is in order before I get the final approval. Not out of the woods yet until the PTI sticker and registration arrive in the mail.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nick Taylor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:11 pm

fingers crossed
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby cuyeda » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Bam! I just received my updated registration from the CA DMV. I now have a PTI with a 1957 YOM! After paying $45.00 YOM application, I now only pay $10 every 5 years for PTI. No additional recurring vanity, or special plate fees. Once again a happy camper!

For anyone following in my foot steps to the CA DMV to do the same, you will be met with approx. 10 people saying "no" you can't do that! If you want to know the secret code, PM me and I will send you my contact info for sending $25.00, and I will email you the secret code. :lol:
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Unfortunately my Grasshopper is too new :lol: to have a YOM plate. I would LOVE to have a blue and gold on that trailer!! I have the original on my Aristocrat and really want one for the Grasshopper, but it just can't be done at this time. I'm still at the stage where people are laughing at my trailer..it's not a camp trailer, it's a 'campy trailer'...

I love my trailers. In case you didn't know.

CA YOM and PTI info:

http://www.nicksteardrop.com/dmv.htm
'79 Grasshopper
Coleman Keepers 200a Gang
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:43 pm

DragonFire wrote:Unfortunately my Grasshopper is too new :lol: to have a YOM plate.
:thinking: Are you sure about that.. I didn't know that California had a cutoff date. I do remember the blue with gold lettering plates, mater of fact I have one for a car. I need to find it, it just might be for a trailer.

Here's the plate I have on my Field and Stream:

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cuyeda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Gage! You've been holdin' out on me all this time. When we discussed if you had the PTI with YOM we talked about your TD having vanity plates. No mention about your Field n' Stream.

You would have been the first to have acknowledged having both categories! Must have been a senior moment. :lol: Of course you could have stuck that PTI sticker on when no one was looking, jus' kidding.

Funny, after all my previous inquiry posts no one except Gage until now admitted to having both PTI and YOM, as well as the other forums I posted on.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:50 pm

I have a feeling Gage is a wily ol' fox....who knows what he did when we weren't looking!!!

Gage...according to info on Nick's Garage, the YOM's are only to 1969. I can try to check on it...you know how DMV is.

I would love to find a YOM plate...maybe I should start looking so I'm ready for when they allow 1979's!!
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I never visited Nick's DMV page before, and if I did, I would have insisted on keeping my original plates for a 1971 trailer that I just registered for PTI. Didn't have any sentimental value on the 1971 plates so I turned it in to the DMV in exchange for the new PTI plates.

It would have been nice to keep the original plates issued to the trailer from day one. Oh well live and learn.
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:59 pm

One problem, that's not a YOM plate on the Field and Stream. The F&S is a 59 and that plate was issued in '63. But that is the second plate issued to the F&S and was on the trailer when I got it and was noted on the 'Pink' slip. I will say that DMV had a learning experience with that plate and issuing a PTI sticker to it. Took almost 9 months to get it right. :?

Here's the plate I have on my teardrop:

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby DragonFire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 pm

cuyeda wrote:I never visited Nick's DMV page before, and if I did, I would have insisted on keeping my original plates for a 1971 trailer that I just registered for PTI. Didn't have any sentimental value on the 1971 plates so I turned it in to the DMV in exchange for the new PTI plates.

It would have been nice to keep the original plates issued to the trailer from day one. Oh well live and learn.

That's terrible! I wish you could have kept the black and gold plate!

I think I might start looking around for a blue and gold YOM for mine...just in case!!!
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:34 pm

Gage wrote:[b][i]One problem, that's not a YOM plate on the Field and Stream. The F&S is a 59 and that plate was issued in '63. But that is the second plate issued to the F&S and was on the trailer when I got it and was noted on the 'Pink' slip. I will say that DMV had a learning experience with that plate and issuing a PTI sticker to it. Took almost 9 months to get it right. :?
...snip picture...

My 1957 Deville, when I tried to use the black with gold lettering that was on it when I purchased the trailer (incorrect for 1957 YOM). DMV said it couldn't be used as a PTI, and a new plate was issued. They wanted me to turn in the plate, I talked DMV into letting me keep it with a wink. Oh you mean you lost it right? Yep, I lost it. wink wink.

DMV made me surrender the plate on my 1971 trailer. I asked to keep it, but DMV stated I had to give it up. I should not have walked the plate in, and stated that it was lost. It was off the records after more than 7 years. My fault for not remembering the experience mentioned above.

Now if I could only get my 1947 22' trailer registered as a PTI, with the YOM plates would be a miracle. I jokingly said that to the nice lady helping me. She said funnier things have happened at the DMV, but even if I were to get it, police would pull me over someday knowing that the trailer can't be classified as PTI over 16 foot.

:lol:
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:51 pm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

CA vehicle code for YOM plates. Looks like 1969 for passenger vehicles, 1972 for commercial and pick-up plates.

I'll just keep looking...until then, I'll have another PTI plate!!
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby DragonFire » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:59 pm

When I was at the DMV last week the guy looked it up and claimed that it was 14'. He may have been trying to get me to be 'honest' and admit my rig didn't get a PTI. Bummer, dude. I had the vehicle code with me, and I just may know where the former PTI plate is. Besides, it's 12 1/2 feet. Still falls under the limit!

DMV is just crazy...I just hope I'm done with them for awhile after next Friday!!! :thumbsup:
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:16 am

DragonFire wrote:When I was at the DMV last week the guy looked it up and claimed that it was 14'.
The only way he can make a statement like that is to go out to the trailer with a tape and measure it. ;) He most likely was looking at a Grasshopper 'standy'.

You'll find that a lot of the employees at DMV (including floor supervisors) don't know what they are talking about, they are only telling you what they think is right or wrong. When in doubt, ask to speak to the OFFICE MANAGER. All office managers received a memo (which included picture examples) from SAC little over a year ago stating what qualities for a PTI as far as a vintage or teardrop trailer is concerned. The first thing that has to be done is the 'Body Type Model' has to be changed to CMP (camp) if it is noted as a CCH (coach). Then it qualifies for a PTI. Also if you have paper (Ref. pink or reg.) showing the plate number you want to stay on the trailer, they must honor it and not list it as a YOM. They just have to re-enter it into the system no matter how long it has been out of the system. Like I say, if you have any problems at the DMV, ask to speak to the office manager. They are supposed to know.

*If the DMV can't show you where it says you can't do it, then that means you can do it. They also hate to have someone come in that knows more than they do.
;)
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby DragonFire » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Naw...what he meant was that the legal size limit was 14 feet or under for a trailer to get PTI plates. It's really 16...I looked it up last night to see if it had changed.

He didn't know what to make of the camper being a Grasshopper. He laughed and looked at me like "silly woman, that's not the make of the camper..." he believed me when I showed him the same name printed on the Nevada title.
'79 Grasshopper
DragonFire
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion