Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:11 am

well i did not. hehehe

those are technical questions. i don't do technical. that is your field and others. i just follow what you suggest. :D
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:19 am

Oh Thanks !!! I get the blame ... :o
OK, windows ... Bonnie , what’s the question?
TOWM , You could use tempered glass if it came the right size... I’d just glaze/putty it in like a regular window so you could replace it , if needed ... ;) Oak should be Fine for window frames huh ? Sturdy !!! But if you use Red Oak , be sure to well seal the end grains , cause’ it’s porous ... like a straw... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:01 am

see, you got the answers. remember i am just an old gal. i have never built anything. i have a "hunny", for my "do" list.

which just goes to show you, if i can do it, anyone can build a foamie! (well i did have help), but anyone could and can do it. :thumbsup:

i could never answer anything about the windows, i don't even have them. i just have a cut out with screen mesh in there. :oops:

now ask me how to make a cheesecake and i can tell you that. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:16 am

Might as well , we’ve discussed most everything else here .... So how do you make a cheese cake ... ??? Got any Low Fat cheesecake recipes ... ?
Sorry , I’m Always on a Diet !!! :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:26 am

I would say that if putting a hunk of glass in a foamy one should put a strip of wood on the bottom side of it. sort of like a building foundation. Wider than the glass to keep the glass from pounding itself down into the foam as you explore this great world in your foamie

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:41 am

So, I guess I need some ideas, like Randy's about how to embed/support the stationary window I'm planning. At this moment the window is a porthole, but. Couldn't I use a square piece of glass and just make the outside edges round? Foam is easier to cut than glass.

What would you suggest sealing/dressing the edges with. Would I need to worry about removing said glass? Lots to think about.

Really thinking plexi or lexan -- not glass.

Thanks! Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:45 am

Bonnie, I think that is a marvelous idea on how to make a round window. About the only problem i see in embedding glass in a foamie wall is keeping water from entering the foam wall. But I am sure it can be done.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:48 am

if it was designed to be a permanent window, you could use gg to seal it in. no water will get thru. but ifs it is to be opened, i have no suggestions.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:54 am

GPW wrote:Might as well , we’ve discussed most everything else here .... So how do you make a cheese cake ... ??? Got any Low Fat cheesecake recipes ... ?

actually, just replace the fat stuff with the low/no fat stuff. works the same.
i'll pm 2 receipes. really don't want to get off topic again. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Daisy the Wonder Dog

Postby bonnie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:57 am

A smile for you all.

bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:59 am

eaglesdare wrote:
GPW wrote:Might as well , we’ve discussed most everything else here .... So how do you make a cheese cake ... ??? Got any Low Fat cheesecake recipes ... ?

actually, just replace the fat stuff with the low/no fat stuff. works the same.
i'll pm 2 receipes. really don't want to get off topic again. :lol:

off topic sounds yummy!
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:54 am

he's adorable bonnie!

this should really be over in the receipe section, but not sure it would be good for camping, since it needs to be refrigerated.

this one is easy!
buy an already made pie crust or make you own. use the graham cracker ones.
2 8oz cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup caramel topping, store bought or make your own or leave out
apple pie filling or leave out, or any kind of pie filling, blueberry, cherry, apple butter, could even use peanut butter, what ever you like.
heck you do a peanut butter and jelly one. peanut butter on the bottom, and after it cools, add the jelly on top.

over 350

if you want to use a filling, spread some on the bottom of pie crust.

beat your cream cheese, sugar and vanilla til smooth. add eggs, mix well. pour over pie filling if using, if not pour into pie crust.

bake 30-35 minutes or til set. knife should come out clean.
set out til room temp. refridge til ready to eat. DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF FRIDGE FOR A FEW HOURS AT LEAST! if you do, it will still be more gooey than solid. overnight is the best.

you can then add the remaining pie filling on top, spread it out, add the caramel topping, drizzle. add cool whip on top. what ever.

they have low/no fat cream cheese, just substitute.

that one is a cheesecake pie, that you can customize. i made it with my homemade apple butter instead of the pie filling. it was yummy. but i did not leave it in the fridge long enough. so take my warning on that one. :lol:

i have another one that is a cheesecake, originally for pumpkin cheesecake, but with substitutions, you can customize it also. i made one of them with pumpking then substituted with banana's. one of my best ever. if anyone wants that one.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:04 am

I can see that "Smile" is going to be a challenge!

But I'll keep you posted!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:21 am

GPW wrote:Oh Thanks !!! I get the blame ... :o
OK, windows ... Bonnie , what’s the question?
TOWM , You could use tempered glass if it came the right size... I’d just glaze/putty it in like a regular window so you could replace it , if needed ... ;) Oak should be Fine for window frames huh ? Sturdy !!! But if you use Red Oak , be sure to well seal the end grains , cause’ it’s porous ... like a straw... :o

Large thanks for the reply...

For the glass, I thought a frame within a frame, hinged at the top to open for ventilation...Gasketed for sealing, etc., etc., etc.

The oak'll get multiple coats of your soon-to-be-famous "G-Juice" to make certain nothing unwanted gets where it needn't be.

Now to frugally go where no one has gone before...

The dog's'er all cuter'n all git-out...Gotta love the smile...Reminds me of my younger days.
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:42 am

Here’s a drawing of the window I made .... simple , and it opened ,and doesn’t leak ... :thumbsup: Image
see my Album , pg.. 7,8,9 for window pics

If you want to imbed a sheet of plastic window material into a non-opening foam hole , just route out the window opening desired , then a “shelf into that to support the “glassâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies