Newbie ?'s

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Newbie ?'s

Postby Lukiepookie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:56 pm

First off I would like to introduce my self to everyone, my name is Luke Wilson live in Northern California and enjoy woodworking very much. I have been reading the forums on this website and I must say you guys have been very helpful so far. I saw some teardrop trailer plans on ebay and decided I might just have to make one and latley that is where all my time and Money has been going I just ordered a 2000lb axel kit and I was planning on just bolting the the axel directly to the bottom of the wood just the guy on ebay said he did his. I will be useing a 1" thick base board(Im getting this for free). My question is do you think this will hold up. The more Im thinking about it the more I think I should just get a metal frame off an old 4x8 trailer and put it on that. I saw a folding 4x8 on craigslist but I question if it is going to be durable. Please let me know what you guys think.
Thanks,
Luke
Lukiepookie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:08 pm

Welcome aboard Luke. Unless you're following the ultralight that Mike is playing with, I suggest that you go with a full chassis.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:55 pm

Luke Wilson (The famous actor?) I'm shure you get that all the time. Anyway, welcome to the nuthouse!

There has been a lot of discussion about those frameless ebay plans. While some people think it's OK, most people think it's a bad idea.

Here's one thread:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=3938
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:58 pm

Hey Luke,

Welcome to the forum.

I have to say look at the ultralight thread... it's a sticky in the general discussion...

Otherwise I have to agree with Paul C... don't take chances, and go with a real frame... I just bought one for about $178.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Lukiepookie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 pm

hey thanks for the info so far. hey mike where did you get one for that cheap. I think what Ill do is make it on the 1" ply wood floor first then wait till I can find one for a desent deal on craigs list. I think I just need to slow down alittle when I have an Idea I have a tendency to want to build it right away. Honestly I have to give this guy on ebay a little credit he has been making bank off his plans he sells about 2-3 a week I saw one sell for $76 bucks. if he has been selling these since june he should have made quite a little sum off his plans.
Lukiepookie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:07 pm

You buy the trailer when Harbor Freight has it on sale, and also use the 20% discount coupon that they have out every now and then...

Does anyone know if there is a current 20% coupon? Got a URL?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Lukiepookie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:09 pm

and also I will be welding the leaf spring hangers to 1"x2" 1/4 30" long steel then bolting that onto the ply wood floor wich I might add will be samwiched between a 3/4" and 1" here is my plans I just drew up so you guys can get a visual of what Im saying. I think it will be strong enough to not need a steel frame. If I feel that it is not safe when Im done with it, all I have to do is find a steel frame and bolt it to that. see it here
at
http://groups.msn.com/lukiesbowpage/sho ... &PhotoID=4
Lukiepookie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:00 am

Luke, just had a look at your plan. Only steel at the front for your spring hangers? My suggestion is to have a look at the Ultralight that Mike is doing for some ideas on the strength. The box type arrangement of your floor will only weaken what you are trying to achieve. The axle need to be attached to the floor and walls.. trust me on this one. Go and have a look at the Ultra.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby weasel » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:29 am

Hey Luke welcome, if you weld look for some light 1.5 or 2'' tubing and build your own. Mines 5x10 and total weight is 250#. With a 400-600# body thats light, safe and strong to me.
weasel
Donating Member

Postby Lukiepookie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:08 pm

hey paul I checked like you said, and all I have to say is WOW. thats a lot of good info, finding out that having the beams are stronger going all one way instead of a grid section like I had that was useful to know. Im only on the first couple of pages but I have to go to work now. you guys have a good weekend.
Luke
Lukiepookie
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets