Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Jiminsav » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Save your money, that plastic trim is worthless for outside use.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby pete42 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:08 am

I bought plastic trim for my front garage I got tired of replacing the wood every couple years or so.
it is made to standup to the elements looks as good now as it dit 3 years ago.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:45 am

Pete42,

Did you attach it with regular nails/screws? Use glue? Seal it in any way? As soon as I'm able, I want to buy some of this stuff and try out a window. Or a small box of some sort. A first blush, and with your experience, I think this will work really well.

Thanks for the input guys and gals.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:54 am

Bonnie you do realize you need to frame the window or door opening in wood first right? This trim is simply an adornment to a house window. I am just under the impression that you think this trim is structural.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:37 pm

StandUpGuy wrote:I am just under the impression that you think this trim is structural.

My thoughts exactly...

This stuff makes for excellent trim but I wouldn't use it anywhere structure is important...

Just my 2cents worth...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Like others have said it is trim I forget what it is called maybe garage door trim?
It has a profile molded into it measures. About 2x2x1 and I used special nails ones that don't rust nailed into the wood casement.
Don't let others talk you out of trying plastic if you do a test just to see what it does.
If it were up to some there wouldn't be any fomies.
Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Stirred the pot, didn't I? So I sauntered down to my local Lowes and investigated.

Their PVC product is the rot proof brand for the most part. It comes in various lengths, is paintable and the 3/4" widths are quite flimsy. It's long lived. UV resistant. Pricey.

Now, I want to build windows. Based on what has been discussed here about using wood bracing pieces in the 2" foam walls it would seem to me that the 2x2 are more than sturdy enough to use as the framing in the foam for the window frame.

The window could then be fashioned out of a sandwich of the 5/8" x 5/8" pieces with the lexan sitting in a channel in the middle. The same 5/8" x 5/8" piece could be used as the stop on the interior frame.

The only question I would have is whether or not this stuff has expansion problems that might make it harder to open the window in certain types of weather. And how well the screws would really hold in the material when it is under the stress of moving and bouncing.

Time for a test window. Don't know of any other method of testing except to make one and see.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Pete , there were some naysayers at the beginning , less now since it’s been proven ... ;) There will always be someone ... :o
Bonnie ... make one , but allow for expansion contraction in your measurements ... And BTW , real 2" lumber , not the 1.5â€
Last edited by GPW on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:48 pm

That brings me yet another question. :oops:

I don't have access to a table saw, or any other large (read expensive) wood working tools. How I would I rip bigger boards down? Circular saw with some sort of jig?

Cheers,

Bonnie
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Bonnie

You can mount your circular saw upside down in some plywood to make a table saw of sorts. Clamp a board to it to make a fence.

But don't sue me. I ain't got any money

:lol: :lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 pm

bonnie wrote:That brings me yet another question. :oops:

I don't have access to a table saw, or any other large (read expensive) wood working tools. How I would I rip bigger boards down? Circular saw with some sort of jig?

Cheers,

Bonnie

Bonnie:

Yes, you can make a jig for your circular saw. But, do you have a neighbor who has a table saw who would let you rip your lumber for you? That would be the easier way.

I know of a guy in Belleville who raises Newfoundlund dogs who has a fantastic workshop....but I don't know his real name. I just know the name he uses on a woodworking forum. If you know of a guy who raises and trains the Newfie's, ask him if he'll either help you rip the lumber, or let you use his table saw. Tell him "Verna" in Indianapolis sent you.

PM me if you need help.

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:19 pm

You guys make me laugh.

Verna I will keep your kind offer in mind. I'm not quite to the wood stage as of yet. I may have a woodworker I can call on. Will need to ask if the wood shop moved when he did.

Thanks again everyone.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Bonnie it really doesn't matter what you use as long as it has structural integrity and is sealed correctly there is no chance for rotting.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Rosey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:10 pm

atahoekid wrote:I had some time to kill at work prior to an appointment and so I spent the time in a worthwhile fashion, searching the internet for things teardrop/foamie trailer related and came upon this article.

http://canoeguybc.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/alternatives-to-traditional-wood-canoe-canvas-fillers/

This guy talks about using other than traditional compounds to fill in the weave on canvas for a glossy smooth finish on a canoe. The traditional compound takes 4 weeks to cure and you gotta mix it yourself. The non-traditional compounds are ready mixed and dry quicker. Since I am one of those foamlings who wants a smooth gloss finish on my build, I will be doing more research on this, hoping I can use the technique on the "Road Foamie"

Here's the link to the latex lagging compound that he mentions

http://www.industrialinsulation.com/ima ... ng_adh.pdf

This has gotten my attention !!! Any one else with an opinion? Good? Bad? Otherwise? :thinking: :thinking:

Wow, I read up on this stuff, it seems like a product that is made to bond canvas to polystyrene would be perfect for our application! It looks like it is possible to buy this in 2 gal buckets from Airgas for $35. Definitely worth a try! Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Hey, over in the Build Journal section there is Desertmoose's build. He is doing canvas on plywood. I missed seeing it until the past few days.

Desertmoose

Might be worth keeping an eye on.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies