Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby bonnie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:50 pm

GPW wrote:DJ, 15 bolts total , 3 on each crossmember lock washers , fender washers , and thread Lock which might (?) help preserve the threads long term .... I was even considering painting the black nasty stuff over the threads of what’s left exposed ... may be overkill... Don’t think the floor will ever go anywhere... :o

Tree, I so have some plastic tubing for isolating the bolts through the PT wood ... I got the SOS old galvanized carriage bolts ... and already got the PT 2X4s... fait accompli !! :roll:

Weren't you going to countersink those bolts? I seem toremember a picture of bolts epoxied to squares. Mybe another thread. Looking good. Will you put someort of spacer gasket between the trailer and the trailer body?
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey GPW go to lowes in the special fastener drawers use the elevator bolts with the lart flat head surface area and you won't have to worry about doing anything inside the cabin cause when you torque them they will pull into the wood a slight bit and give a smooth surface and the larger head spreads the load on the wood rather well.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Lowes has elevator bolts?

I got mine at a place in town called A.M.I. Sort of a local mechanical tool and bolt dealer. If was to get them online would have cost almost $20 for 10. I got mine for $4.41 at AMI.

I got 3/8x1.5 inch in zinc plated. They stock 1.5 and 2 inch length, in Zinc. that I know for sure.

And it sure can't cost much to ship, not like those internet robbery stores

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm

When I was mounting the floor to the frame, I thought about using elevator bolts. I too, never knew that Lowe's carried them. I went to Fastenal and they wanted a young fortune for them. So, Never Mind. I used carriage bolts instead. They won't present too much of a problem for me since my floor is actually the floor of the storage area.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:39 pm

I figure that for $0.44 each I am going to use elevator bolts.

Summer of 2010 I also learned that that AMI place had Althread at less than 1/2 of some other places. And I needed about 5 sticks of the stuff.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:47 pm

GPW wrote:DJ, 15 bolts total , 3 on each crossmember lock washers , fender washers , and thread Lock which might (?) help preserve the threads long term .... I was even considering painting the black nasty stuff over the threads of what’s left exposed ... may be overkill... Don’t think the floor will ever go anywhere... :o

Tree, I so have some plastic tubing for isolating the bolts through the PT wood ... I got the SOS old galvanized carriage bolts ... and already got the PT 2X4s... fait accompli !! :roll:

Weren't you going to countersink those bolts? I seem toremember a picture of bolts epoxied to squares. Mybe another thread. Looking good. Will you put someort of spacer gasket between the trailer and the trailer body?
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Bonnie , just regular carriage bolts , the heads will be hidden under the padding and wall to wall carpet ...
Just the 2x4 spacers , and the black nasty stuff ... That’s all really ..
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:16 pm

No messages in this thread today! You can't be done...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:27 pm

mikeschn wrote:No messages in this thread today! You can't be done...

Mike...

:lol: :lol:

Not done, to cold outside and to broke.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I have 2 brand new texsport the lodge SUV tents that we use for the microcampers to attach over the doors and make an additional dressing living area available for sell be perfect for the foamies and teardrops to use.

$135 each shipped to your door in the 48 lower states. My contact is in my signature if you are interested.

I also have many of the twist to open doors that have the slip outlet for you to pull your electric hookup cable out and connect and these are $10 free shipping to lower 48.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby NonProfit » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:48 pm

OK, I was just going to build a regular ole TD and then found this thread and read every page (well, I read the first 50 and then started skimming.) Not sure what I'll do now...thanks for the ideas...
NonProfit
Teardrop Builder

Postby crumbruiser » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Welcome to the comunity! I had the same idea you had until this..... I've changed my mind several times and still don't have my mind made up.
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:20 am

welcome nonprofit!

i must say that i am all for you building a foamie. but i just might be a bit biased. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:46 am

Biased , Nooooooooo !!! :o Convinced !!! :thumbsup: I think those of us that have built these (and especially the ones who have camped in them ) will attest to the many benefits of a Foamie trailer ... :thumbsup: 8) ;)

NP, Crum , Having already built a wooden TD before the Foamie , I can only say It’s the Lightest , Cheapest (1/4 the cost of the wooden one, and that’s including the trailer ) , and Easiest (no special tools or skills needed ) way to make a nice comfortable camping trailer, that I’ve found anywhere ... Lives Outside with no garage or covers (unlike the wooden one ) ... no problems... as something like this is supposed to do ... and at ~ 500LB. I think I could tow it with a SMART CAR ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:04 pm

500lbs? Able to be sculpted, after building up layers of course and 1/4 of the price for wood! :thumbsup:
I really think a 5'x10' or 5'x11' would be ideal!
Frank :SG
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies