Waffle Dog woes

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Waffle Dog woes

Postby CARS » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

I have been trying to make waffle dogs with breakfast sausages on our stove top with poor results. Once in a while one turns out but for the most part it isn't cooking properly and therefore not releasing properly. Most of the time is just separates at the sausage.

I am using waffle mix and skin-cased, pre-cooked sausages.

I've tried using cooking spray and olive oil as the release agents.

Using a medium heat (gas flame) and pre-heated the iron (no way of knowing what the actual temp but should be the same idea over a camp fire).

What are you successful dogger's doing out there??
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Don't have a waffle dogger. But I do have cast iron waffle irons. You need to have oil in your waffle recipe. Also I find that you need to get the iron hot on one side then flip to the other side and cook. I can smell the waffle as it cooks and it will start to swell the iron. I also use plenty of spray oil right before I batter it. If this does not help you may need to re season your iron.

Good luck.....it's supposed to be fun!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:33 pm

I run the temp up high enough that the spray (pam) just starts to smoke...that's about the same temp for a regular waffle. like 360. I shot the electrical waffle iron and that's when it says it's time to pour, same thing for the cast iron waffle irons too. Opening them too soon tears them apart...once you pour it...wait for it to quit shooting steam...then give it some more time before you open it. I think you need more heat... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Maureenm » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Ditto what Doug says. I've made them using mix, on a gas stove and was successful. I use a brush and veggie oil(not olive) to grease it up between waffles. And I pre-heat both sides before starting. Good luck, and don't give up!
:thumbsup:
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby Big Dan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:14 pm

I have had great results on my stove. Like Doug said, you want a nice hot iron before you start. A drop of water should sizzle on the iron kind of hot. I use pam spray(butter flavored) I'll fill one side then close and flip. Let it cook a bit then flip again. After that side has cooked for awhile I'll pull the handles open alittle bit. If I feel resistance I'll let it cook alittle longer. When its close to being done it should open right up. Then I check for browness and cook it alittle longer if it needs it. I just tried some Organic Batter Blaster. Its batter in a can. It works like the presurized whip cream cans. If you want to knock out some waffle dogs at camp without dealing with a bowl and laddle its an easier way to go. You can make 20 or so waffle dogs per can depending on your choice of fillings.
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 am

One thing no one has mentioned......

Dust your sausage with corn starch. It will impart no flavor but will act as a primer for the batter to stick to. I have been doing this with any damp vegatable before battering and deep frying and have no more naked onion rings! :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:29 am

Good tip Bob...I need to try that on the onion rings! I like how you worded that..."primer" Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:44 am

Made sense to me wet don't want to stick to wet.

However the dry corn starch will adhere to the damp meat and veggies then the wet batter wants to cling to the dry corn starch.

I get the most beautiful onion rings and mushroons since I have found this little trick.

:thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron