Where do they put you at the "RV Parks"

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby oz97tj » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:44 pm

I've camped out in the boonies (I built it for offroad use), in various public parking lots, and in numerous campgrounds. I've never been treated poorly. I've only ever been asked if I want electricity and how big of a unit I have so it'll fit. Generally, I'm also shown a map with options available and I've never been turned away when I've asked to go scout a spot out.

There has been quite a few times I've pulled into campgrounds after a long day on the road and took whatever spot was available. I always felt a bit odd pulling into a spot next to a big motorhome that was larger than both my tow vehicle and my tear, but it's kind of fun too sticking out like that. Not to mention those pull through sites are great for getting back on the road in the morning.

Lastly, once settled in a campground, EVERY time I've had at least one person come up to ask about it. Generally it's from the old guy in the super luxo motor home too.
oz97tj
Teardrop Builder

Postby hoytedow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:31 am

Other than the state parks I have been impressed with the Corps of Engineers parks. They are laid out very nicely and trailer friendly. They are usually found near scenic reservoirs or other such COE projects. The ones around Lake Allatoona in N Georgia are good examples. Comfort stations are very good.
Happy trails,
Hoyt
hoytedow
Teardrop Master

Postby Visionsbydarrah » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 pm

I have never stayed in a Rv park but plan on doing so this coming year.

Was just wondering, how many people do longer then a few days at them?

And if you unhook your TD from your TV?
:thinking:
Pat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
2015 LittleGuy MyPod.
My YouTube Channel: https://m.youtube.com/user/TheVisionsbydarrah
Visionsbydarrah
Teardrop Master

Postby hoytedow » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:37 pm

I never stay long at any one spot. I do occasionally disconnect TD from Tow Vehicle for short errands. I put a big padlock on the hitch but it only helps against honest thieves. ;)
Happy trails,
Hoyt
hoytedow
Teardrop Master

Postby TheresaD » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:28 am

I've never stayed at an RV park but I've stayed at lots of private campgrounds that offer sites for all types of camping. I usually book ahead so I can't answer too much to how things would go if I was just arriving and looking for a spot. Most of the regular private campgrounds and state parks simply want to know what the length of the trailer is. If I was to show up at a campground to look for a reservation I would ask to see a site map and find out what was available based on my needs. I don't need cable and sewer. Electricity is a benefit but not a total necessity. From the map I would choose a site that would be desireable to me and see if it was available. I personally would prefer to be on a site with fewer amenities if it meant I'd be away from the huge motor homes and towable homes. There's less likelyhood of having to listening to generators droning for hours on end when I'm trying to relax.
Bottom line is that you are paying for the site. Ask what's available and choose one based on that.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:02 am

I contacted an RV park in San Jose California a couple of months ago near where my sister and brother in law will be celebrating their anniversary next June. I was informed there was an age restriction (age of RV) and that you have to be completely self contained, so no we will not be staying there.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby firemaniac » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 am

Most of the "RV Parks" I am willing to stay at (mostly KOA to this point) only ask "what kind of site do you want, how many nights, and will that be cash or credit?"
Chris

When in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
firemaniac
Teardrop Master

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:20 pm

RV parks are usually fine, if it is called a resort , club, estates or something else fancy, you might have to move on down the road.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:22 pm

I have read some articles recently about the campgrounds that cater more to the big RV's having age (of trailer) restrictions and requiring that you be "self-contained". I would imagine that self-contained could have different definitions. One person said that self-contained at the park she was referencing just meant you had to have your own potty because they locked the restrooms at night. But some parks take the requirements for "self-contained" further.

One article I read, written by the manager of an RV park, says they need some way to keep the "undesirables" out (that's my word, she was much more descriptive of the people they were trying to keep out, but I don't remember exactly what her words were and I don't want to try and fudge it). They can't really just say "eeeewww, not you......." so they need an actual rule or policy that they can apply without question.

But then there are some parks that are clearly looking for something else as I read an article written by a person who was pulling a vintage trailer on which they had spent megabucks on professional restoration. According to the writer it looked like a mint, and were still turned away because of the trailers age.

We'll probably stick more to the KOA and family type campgrounds.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Verna wrote:Now, I can only speak for Indiana in recent years, but our state parks here seem to be providing more security than in past years, so I feel very safe in our state parks.

Just my viewpoint

Verna

Agreed. And frankly turkey run, clifty falls, and potatoe creek have decent facilities and don't cast an arm and a leg. Id much rather go to any of those places before a KOA off of US 70....

McCordsville here :)
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby logman7777 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 pm

When I had my 69 Scotty Sportsman (nice but unrestored outside) was for the most part accepted everywhere I went without question. Did have to ask to scout the park since I was usually stuck in a less than desirable spot if I didnt.

Most of the Prevost / Mobile Mansion set would give a nod of approval and only the wannabe Mansion (5th wheel)/ Big Box set would talk in a disparaging way. :thumbdown:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby GerryS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:33 pm

logman7777 wrote:When I had my 69 Scotty Sportsman (nice but unrestored outside) was for the most part accepted everywhere I went without question. Did have to ask to scout the park since I was usually stuck in a less than desirable spot if I didnt.

Most of the Prevost / Mobile Mansion set would give a nod of approval and only the wannabe Mansion (5th wheel)/ Big Box set would talk in a disparaging way. :thumbdown:

I've never had a problem with that...my 76 scotty is OK, but a little rough outside. ALthough, I tend to avoid going when the mobile mansions are running. We tend to go out before and after schools are out, so the camp grounds are pretty empty.

Hopefully we'll get more time with the 'drop. The scotty is just too hard to jerk around from the storage facility to home...you know what I mean. I'm SURE we'll sneak in quite a few more weekend excursions.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby logman7777 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Yup Yup ..It seems the older campers get a bit of leeway..My 76 Scotty Sportsman was rejected from being placed in a 3 season campground due to age. They wanted me to buy a craptastic mid 80's number from their "approved" lot for "only" $4000 to be accepted into the park.

Needless to say the 76 Scotty went with my divorce along with any desire to have a camper placed in a campground.

But this is a bit off the OP's post so I digress..
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Re: Where do they put you at the "RV Parks"

Postby Visionsbydarrah » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:04 am

I was wondering about RV Parks myself.
What do you guys and gals think are good or bad RV Parks?
High end or low end parks?
Pat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
2015 LittleGuy MyPod.
My YouTube Channel: https://m.youtube.com/user/TheVisionsbydarrah
Visionsbydarrah
Teardrop Master

Re: Where do they put you at the "RV Parks"

Postby Verna » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Visionsbydarrah wrote:I was wondering about RV Parks myself.
What do you guys and gals think are good or bad RV Parks?
High end or low end parks?

I don't think I've ever stayed at a "high end" park. The most expensive parks I've stayed in were KOA's in WA and along the Northern Plains last spring. I've stayed in KOA's in northern Indiana and in The Smokey Mountains (I forget which one). I do feel safe in the KOA's. They do have a lot of amenities, things to do, and they keep the campgrounds clean. The camping spots tend to be smaller, but they're clean and the employees seem to go out of their way to make sure you're happy. Of course....it wouldn't have anything to do with the e-mail survey's I got after each stay??? I answered favorably to all of them, by the way.

I stayed in State Parks in Michigan last September, and I was impressed!!!! Large lots, well kept, water and electric at all spots (if that's what you want). I also like the showers that were totally separate from the restrooms, and the showers were separate locked rooms. That's a safer feeling to me. Economical. If you're going to stay more than 4 nights in MI state parks in one year, be sure to buy their window sticker pass--it saves $$$.

Indiana's state parks are clean, large lots, electric to the spots (if you want). I haven't seen any of the showers that are separate from the bathrooms--the ones I've camped in lately have the flimsy plastic shower curtains, and nothing to stop that cold air from coming in :snow

A poor park? It would be one like I stayed in in Kansas last spring. Set up for RV''s only, and "they" didn't want to talk to a woman in a tent. The office closed at 4pm and even though they lived next to the office, they neither answered the door nor phone after hours. I wasn't sure what I should pay, so I know I over- paid for the spot I selected, but it was less expensive than a motel. I definitely ignored one of the rules that was listed. My space heater was running all night long!!! It got down to 37* with a 20 mph west wind and I wasn't quite prepared for that!!

So, that's my experiences--hope that helps.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets