5x8 Chassis Tutorial/Guide/Howto?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby General Bon Vivant » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:34 am

Well, lets see BG. I noticed a couple of things that were pretty disturbing to me.

1. you lost the lights and plate on the way there
2. the frame wasn't built like originally designed
3. you had "bad rod" uh huh?
4. the phone rang and you "got out of the groove"
5. the band saw went on the fritz
6. the butt joint "should" be adequate
7. joints like "this" were your original intent
8. "made do with what I had"

It is my opinion that you shouldn't be building anything that is going to be dragged down the highway....not only do you endanger the rest of us, you also put the user at risk of a liability lawsuit, the fact that the phone rang and you "got out of your groove, the band saw was on the fritz, and best of all, "I got some bad rod" are laughable, either you are a capable welder or you are not, oh yeah, I have a lot of confidence in a quote like the "butt joint should be adequate", or "I made do with what I had" , hey if you didn't have the ability, or in the case of notching the angle "skill and patience" that you appear to have neither of, you shouldn't be building frames, and your photo included in the joints like "this" photo are a killer. The joints aren't the issue, take a good look at welding up a spring hanger on the flange of angle. Get a clue guy before you profess to be a builder, you are endangering the lives of others and certainly are not going to promote the future of tear building. Anyone else have the same thoughts? I know that there are a lot of us here on the forum that certainly hope that Julies build/ enthusiasm isn't damaged by your lack of forthought. the General :( :thumbdown:
Here's your sign...
General Bon Vivant
"Wher'z Madjack?"

Postby na » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:43 am

Even though all I have done around here is lurk in anticipation of getting a TD. I just got to agree with the General...I saw a lot of mistakes that were pretty much inexcusable and totally avoidable by someone who took the time to do a job right. I wondered if someone was goning to call you on them.

If you are going to contract to build someone a trailer, you should at least have the courtesy to build something that would at least make it home. Getting out of your groove does not cut it as an excuse in the real world of lawyers, courts and liability. You really need to get a grip on what your are doing before doing it for someone else and maybe getting someone hurt or even killed

AT
na
Teardrop Inspector

Postby General Bon Vivant » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:32 am

Thanks All tears, this is a tight community, you don't jack someone around on this sort of thing., while I know BG had the best of intentions, it becomes a safety issue, and Julie is pulling with a lighter vehicle, strength and frame performance should be foremost. the General
Here's your sign...
General Bon Vivant
"Wher'z Madjack?"

Postby na » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:42 am

I didn't want my first post to be negative but something felt wrong in this thread so I went to Julie's personal gallery to see if there were any pictures and what I saw was appalling, saftey wise. I was shocked to see such shoddy workmanship. Having come from an industrial background myself, something like that was just plain offensive. I would hate to think of the liability issues connected with that "acident waiting to happen". I hope and urge Julie to get that so called welding redone immediately and I am certainly glad someone called that chucklehead on his work or lack of it. He really should stick to playing with toys instead of playing at being a weldor.

AT
na
Teardrop Inspector

Postby General Bon Vivant » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:03 am

I agree alltears, I just checked out some of the photos in Julies album. This guy should stick with watching Beavis and Butthead!!! I just can't believe the amount of material that wasn't touched with a rod, the rod isn't the problem, just try welding through the big open spaces, it probably would work!! Ever hear of a grinder?, or a brush?, let alone a chipping hammer!! Don't fear Julie, it is salvagable, don't get discouraged, lots of people will get you through your problems and help out, and when it is all said and done, you will probably have more people/ friends helping you out than any of the others on the forum. the General
Here's your sign...
General Bon Vivant
"Wher'z Madjack?"

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:32 am

Ouch the General was really tough on you! :shock:

I did look at the pics, 2 things really stand out to me. On the pic of the axle bracket, the paint was not blistered at all. It probably dosen't have proper penetration there, also the bead looks high. When we welded my frame the metal was discolored for about 1/2in on either side of the weld.

The other thing that stood out was that the pieces under the tongue were only welded in a couple places (that I can see) why not weld the entire edge. The tongue on my trailer is welded all the way around every seam where the tubes touched was welded.

Don't take my word as gospel though, I am NOT a welder. My only experience is with gas welding and hanging out at my buddy's shop. I have to recognize a bad weld so I can bust his chops when he does it. These are just things that stood out to me.

Don't let it get you down we all have to learn. Just chalk this up as a learning experience. Thankfully no one was hurt.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:41 am

alltears, welcome to the board...not a real auspices beginning huh...I know BG was well intentioned and was probably just having a bad hair day(I hope) :lol: anyway have ya gotta plan yet or areya just still lurkin'...anyway welcome to the sunshine and we hope to hear from ya again ;)
madjack 8)

P.S. we really luv da pics around here so if you do start building, remember da pics
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:19 am

bg wrote:my phone rang and I got out of the 'groove'

Ohh... I hate it when that happens. :fb
Hey bg,
I know General B was tough on yaa, but he is one fine welder.
Take his words as good teachings.
It's a good thing the frame didn't separate completely from the tounge and shoot across the freeway into oncoming traffic... Thankfully nobdy was hurt or killed.
I questioned the design of your tounge, but I'm the guy who built a 472 lb. rolling chassis.... AKA Gusset Freak :lol:

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:19 am

:shocked: Julie I think you should take that to a welding shop and have a welder weld it. I looked at the pic's and it appears it is only tack welded. I've never seen anyone weld through paint. You use gas to prevent contamination not weld through it.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby bg » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:11 am

Few things:

1. In my conversations with Julie I was honest with her that I am not a pro, only having been taught by them when the opprotunity was there

2. I did endanger others, and that is my stupidity at work.

I did not make any money on this. That was never my intent. I wanted to help out a member of the community and caused more grief than it was worth. The frame design is fine, the weldor (loosely used) was the weak link.

I have apoligized to Julie and offered to pay for any and all repairs needed. But a capable welder took care of that.

I'm damn well aware that someone could have been killed. That has taken ALOT for me to deal with. When I look at her pictures, I can't figure out what I was thinking.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:25 am

Per a request from bg, this thread is being locked. It will remain as a reminder to help prevent others from mistakes.
toypusher
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets