TERIYAKI BEEF JERKY

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

TERIYAKI BEEF JERKY

Postby Kathy53 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:36 pm

TERIYAKI BEEF JERKY

A teriyaki, soy sauce, orange juice, and honey marinade flavors beef jerky made from London broil. Plan ahead to marinate overnight as well as 8 to 12 hours of drying time. You may make this jerky in a standard oven or in a dehydrator.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 8 hours

Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes (Or less)

Ingredients:
•1 Tablespoon brown sugar
•1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
•1 teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
•1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
•1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•2/3 cup bottled teriyaki marinade
•1/2 cup of no-pulp orange juice
•1/4 cup of water
•1 Tablespoon honey
•1 teaspoon soy sauce
•1 teaspoon liquid smoke
•1 pound London broil, sliced across the grain into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick strips

Preparation:

If you partially freeze the beef just until ice crystals form, it will be much easier to cut the thin strips.

In a medium, nonreactive bowl, whisk together brown sugar, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. Add teriyaki marinade, orange juice, water, honey, soy sauce, and liquid smoke. Whisk until salt has dissolved.

Place London broil beef strips in a large freezer ziptop bag. Add marinade to the bag, seal, and toss to coat the meat. Unseal, squeeze out all the air, reseal, and refrigerate 24 to 36 hours.

Pat strips dry with paper towels. Distribute beef strips in a single layer on dehydrator racks. Dry for 4 to 8 hours, turning racks every hour, and turning jerky strips over midway through the drying process.

When done, the jerky should have no signs of redness and be pliable enough to bend in half without breaking.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby wired » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Tried your jerky recipe with some top round that I got in the sale/clearance rack at Safeway. Made a triple batch because 1 pound would last about 5 minutes between my son and I. Man, did it turn out good! Thanks for the recipe, it's a keeper! :applause: :thumbsup:
wired
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:59 pm

i'm waiting for the london broil to go on sale.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:35 pm

I make my own teriaki sauce. 50% water, 50% soy sauce, a bunch of crushed garlic, and a bunch of sliced ginger, and a little sugar. I'm not too particular on the amount of garlic, ginger, and sugar. More is better, IMHO.

I marinate tri tip pieces and chicken pieces for about a day and then make shiskabobs with onion, fresh pineapple, bell peppers, mushrooms, and the chicken and steak. Cherry tomatoes don't hold up well

Normally I find tri tip a bit tough. After the marinade you can cut it easily with a fork.

I let whole chicken breasts marinate for two days. Potent.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby wired » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:24 pm

eaglesdare wrote:i'm waiting for the london broil to go on sale.

London Broil was on sale at Safeway a couple of weeks ago, but was off sale when I came upon this recipe. Don't know if you have Safeway where you are but they always have a section at the meat counter with meat nearing the sales expiration date that you can get from 30%-50% off. This is the first place I go when I go to Safeway and have picked up some really good steaks, lamb chops, pork chops, chicken, etc at significant savings. Never had any problem with any of the meat.
This time I found top round steak at 50% off and bought 3 pounds to try out the jerky recipe. Wish I had bought more cause the jerky is awesome.....
wired
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 am

my daughter picked me up a london broil last night. so i am not sure if it was on sale or not. doubt it. but i put it in the freezer (to make it easier to slice) and i forgot about it. so now i have it out, waiting on it to become sliceable. :lol:

i can't wait to try it.

i am using my oven though, so the instructions use a hydrator. i don't have one of those, i plan to use my oven. what do i do with that? temp and how long?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Kathy53 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:16 am

250 for 4 hrs or 175 for 6 hr. found a recipe for jerky made in oven.
Kathy53
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:32 am

great thanks kathy.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby wired » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:52 am

Already went through the first batch, time to make more! This is the best jerky I have had - beats the commercially prepared stuff hands down, and the texture/moisture content is just right - not too dry and still satisfyingly chewy. :D
wired
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:31 pm

we have a walmart and a food lion period. that's it. :lol: but i will keep an eye out for different cuts of meat when on sale. my stash right now is still marinating. tomorrow moring i will start the cooking/drying process. can't wait to try this.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby wired » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:37 pm

I marinated for about 10 hours overnight and used my Ronco (!) dehydrator for another 10 hours or so, being careful to rotate the shelves every hour or two and also turning the meat at least once.
wired
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:08 pm

i don't have a dehydrator, but i will use a sheet pan with a wire rack.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:10 am

its in the oven right now. going for the 175 for 6 hours.
hubby asked me if this was our dinner. i said it just might be. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 pm

i have about 15 more mins to go. but i went ahead and tried a piece. and you all are right, this stuff is so yummy!!!!!

i will be on the look out from now on with the meat sales.

thanks for the receipe!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 pm

ok, so do i just store it in a plastic bag? refridgerate it? it more than likely won't last til tonight, but how do i keep it?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1