Truck Canopy Trailer - Updates... Solar Panel, Jack, etc.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks for the link Erik...bookmarked.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:00 pm

Erik, came out great, don't wait, get out and try it!
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby ohbugger » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Wrapped up the final details and went camping at the beach!

The wife knew I was proud and took a picture, also, this is the cleanest and nicest it will ever be. It's all downhill from here, time to release it from the garage.

If you're gonna build a boxy trailer, you better have the requisite boxy car.

Wife and dog, ready to go!

Come on in

Blinds open

Blinds shut

Drivers side: AC outlet, DC outlet, voltmeter, iPod in, Right Speaker and 8" sub

The back

Passenger side: AC, DC, light switch, dimmer, key hook

Plenty of storage under the benches!

We made it! Drove about 55-60 the whole way and got over 23 MPG in a car that usually gets about 26 MPG (but going faster too). Hubs were barely warm to the touch after 125 miles. Didn't notice the trailer unless the road was bumpy. First trip passed with flying colors

Warm, cozy and roomy inside!

Did I mention roomy? First upgrade? More cupholders.

Rain, snow, hail, we got it all! But thanks to our little electric space heater, we slept like babies. Normally we don't/wouldn't camp in January!
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby Martiangod » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:02 pm

This says it all
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby 2bits » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 am

What a great first trip getting all the rough weather out of the way by having the pride of the pride of having it come through with flying colors! It's amazing how great the little heaters do in a small space too!

Congrats on the first outing!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby ohbugger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 am

Martiangod wrote:This says it all

A good time was had by all! There were no tent campers as it was January, just us and a bunch of huge RVs. When we drove away from the campsite to get dinner our tiny little lonely trailer looked pretty silly in comparison.
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:18 am

If the wife is happy... life is GOOD ! It doesn't matter that yer trailer is "different". Dare to be different,dare to be YOU !

Congrats on a wonderful maiden voyage and on a wonderful camper that YOU made by yerself ! :thumbsup:
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:54 am

Finished product looks Great! :applause:

Like others have mentioned, if the family's happy (in your case, your wife and dog), then everything will be alright. Thanks for posting your build progress, finished results, and first trip. Nice, clean build!

Hope you have many miles of happy traveling with your new "baby".
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:24 am

Erik -

Great trip and wonderful camper! Man, it looks roomy compared to a teardrop.

Even though we haven't been this year, we like camping in the winter. It helps "thin out" the overcrowded state parks close to our area.

Congratulations!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ohbugger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words and good advice! I'll stick around to keep looking for good ideas to steal!
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby Facemeltingly Epic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm

ohbugger wrote:Thanks everyone for the kind words and good advice! I'll stick around to keep looking for good ideas to steal!

Just remember: stealing from one source is plagiarism; stealing from multiple sources is research. :)

23mpg? I'm jealous! I can barely manage 22mpg in the Miata with the trailer in tow, but then again with your Scion you're not gaining as much aerodynamic drag from your trailer as I am from mine...
Scot

My build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=42585

Not enough photos there? Try here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... c3e73ca184

Or here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... cf567dd7b7

"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often, and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Facemeltingly Epic
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:17 am

wow, you have lots of room inside. and i agree, the smile on your wife's face says it all. :applause:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:43 pm

There were no tent campers as it was January, just us and a bunch of huge RVs. When we drove away from the campsite to get dinner our tiny little lonely trailer looked pretty silly in comparison.

Man, don't do that.....running down your cool little camper. "Silly" is not something that comes to mind when I look at your creation. "Resourceful" and "Creative" are more in line.

If someone had the kind of personality to high-brow you for your for what you've made.....well, they probably wouldn't be worth spending time with in the first place.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby ohbugger » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Woodstramp wrote:
There were no tent campers as it was January, just us and a bunch of huge RVs. When we drove away from the campsite to get dinner our tiny little lonely trailer looked pretty silly in comparison.

Man, don't do that.....running down your cool little camper. "Silly" is not something that comes to mind when I look at your creation. "Resourceful" and "Creative" are more in line.

If someone had the kind of personality to high-brow you for your for what you've made.....well, they probably wouldn't be worth spending time with in the first place.

Ha ha, thanks, I don't think anyone else was high and mighty about it. I get a kick out of these things. I don't look down on someone's choice to buy a $100k RV and I don't think they look down on my $1k RV. But I find some odd humor about my trailer that I pick up and back in by hand versus a giant RV with backup cameras, hydraulic leveling systems and whatnot side by side. One isn't better than the other, just so different that there's something funny about it.

There is a reason we all sit around and ponder these trailers here. It's so great to create something from essentially nothing. There's no shortage of folks out there who see our trailers and want to talk about it. I'd argue nearly every guy with a garage and some tools is jealous of our creations! (or maybe the spare time)
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

Postby ohbugger » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:10 pm

eaglesdare wrote:wow, you have lots of room inside. and i agree, the smile on your wife's face says it all. :applause:

Thanks, it is big inside. It's a 6' x 8' for starters, but I think the biggest factor is that it is a big box with no galley. I'll have to do the cooking outside on a table, and I don't have the classic lines of a teardrop, but the room is nice!
- Erik -
ohbugger
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals