The "Slowmobile" Is under way! update 6/27/12

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The "Slowmobile" Is under way! update 6/27/12

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 pm

I have just started my third build. I am taking a 2 week trip this summer out to Wyoming. First stop is the "Walk in the Winds 2012" gathering in Wyoming. Mike, ( Slowcowboy) is the host. So I thought it only fitting to name this one after him. So I am calling it the "Slowmobile".
This one is being made as light as I can. Well with in reason I guess. I started with a Northern tool 5x8 trailer I bought a few years ago. Since it has sat unused for the most part I thought I'd turn it into something. The trailer did not come with a floor. I added some shocks to smooth out the ride.

I am using 1/2" for the floor. It will rest on the cross bars and is bolted down. Plenty strong. The frame work is 1" soft Maple. The outside will be skinned with 1/4" and a "Woody" style frame will firm it up. No insulation in the walls or roof. The inside will be the skeleton frame. Roof will be 2 layers of 1/8th" Baltic Birch with Aluminum skin.

Left side will have a small awning window.

Basic steel fenders. Still thinking how to finish them. Maybe clear , or a color.

The wheels and tires are going to be 15". I painted the rims red, may use this color here and there, not sure yet.

This will be my tongue box. It is an old car trunk. Not sure what it came from. I picked it up at a flea market.

That is all so far, more to come.
Last edited by Woodbutcher on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Profile looks great, looks like you have a great start to it
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby dave_dj1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:21 am

Looks good so far!
what is the profile, I like it :D
thanks,
dave
dave_dj1
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks guys, the profile is just one I made up. I make a pattern out of masonite and draw in all my cabinets, doors etc and see how it fits and looks. Then I cut my parts to fit the pattern. Don't know if that is how most people work, but it does the job for me.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:53 am

I really like the profile also. Nice job. Will be watching to see how it shapes up.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 am

I too really like the profile. I will be watching for progress.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Slowmobile

Postby seabee74 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:52 am

Hey! lookin good and well on your way to a light weight!
seabee74
Teardrop Builder

Postby wagondude » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Sounds like a good solid plan. I like the name, also. What a great way to honor a great forum friend.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Yea, I thought Slow might like it named after him. He's one of those guys you just want to meet. I'm looking forward to meeting Mike and all the rest of the group. I feel like I know many of them without ever meeting them. That is one of the great thing about this site. It can bring a bunch of strangers together from all over the country in the middle of the mountains of Wyoming.

I picked up my new 15" tires today. That should raise me up about 3" from where the frame sits now. I painted the rims red. I may paint my tongue box red as well as a few other accents. My TV is red so I thought I'd match it.
There was a thread earlier this week about using oil base paint base as a clear finish. I will try it and see how it hold up. The price and ease of using it makes better sense to me then epoxy. I used epoxy on my first build and it's a lot more work and expense.
Not sure what I am going to do on the roof. My thoughts are either painted aluminum or vinyl top material. I found a source that has 72" wide vinyl so I would have no seams. If anyone has any input on either of these choices let me know. This build is sort of an experiment in many ways.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:28 am

Looking great so far, I'll be watching. I do have a couple of questions:
It looks like you have 13" wheels on the trailer. Why did you switch to 15" Won't that add weight to your light weight build? How are you mounting the fenders, to the side wall or brackets to the frame?

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Larry, the trailer came with 12" wheels. But I tow with a lifted Jeep Wrangler. I already have a 6" drop on my trailer hitch. So I wanted to keep the trailer level. Yea I am adding weight but I just feel it will work out better.

This is my first build with 15" wheels. I will make a woody frame for this new build and attach the fenders to the body through the woody frame using tee nuts.

Here is a picture of how I mounted the last fenders with the tee nuts. This is a picture of the backside of the woody frame. Unless the whole frame comes off the fenders will stay. I did not want any fasteners showing through the inside of the trailer/

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Made a little more progress....My new wheels and tires are here. Went from 12" to 15". Here is a picture showing the difference. The wheels are rubbing the frame now so I have to address that. I have posted in the construction tips section looking for advise.

I have the front storage shelf/cabinet roughed in. May put 1/4" sliding doors up there.

Then I started the rear inside storage. All the shelves and dividers will be 1/4" to help keep it light.

Added some wire baskets I got at IKEA for 10 bucks each. Super light and a great place for shoes, raincoats etc.

Here is a picture showing the new tires.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:02 pm

Can't wait to see it up close!
parnold
Donating Member

Re: The "Slowmobile" Is under way!

Postby Wanna Be » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:58 am

BUMP .BUMP !!!!!
Any more progress yet ???????

You will soon be running out of time before the "Walk The Winds 2012"
Wait for it.......................GET R DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wanna Be

;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Re: The "Slowmobile" Is under way!

Postby Rob & Mel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:43 am

Ooooo!

Can't wait to see more! Your builds are super-slick. Love the car trunk tongue box and the basket shelves!

-Rob
Rob & Mel
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals