"The X-II" 5-Wide Convertible Teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby StPatron » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:49 pm

He should be road ready in a matter of days at the pace he's going! :lol:

Great design work on the battery holder, Zach. And, excellent documentation and pics. Thanks for sharing with us. :applause:
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Road-ready in days would be nice! Wish it were consistently warm enough to paint! Thanks for words of encouragement Gary!

I stopped by Advance Auto tonight after work and picked up some battery terminal clamps, a battery hold-down kit, some wire loom, and a battery cut-off switch. All of that, for only $25!

Went to my parents house and got it all installed/hooked-up. Figured the side compartment under the mattress (just inside the door) would be the most inconspicuous, and the easiest access. Just lift of the edge of the mattress, open the cover, and turn the switch.

And this is with the battery "compartment" cover on, and the side storage cover closed. Not too pretty right now, but a coat of paint should make it look a little better.

Form follows function... right?! :thinking:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm

You puttin' a disco ball in that thang?

:sneakers: :moom walk: :running man:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Hope to see you in June!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:32 am

parnold wrote:You puttin' a disco ball in that thang?

:sneakers: :moom walk: :running man:

:thinking:

Might have to try to find one small enough :lol:

Hope you can make it to the TJ's Cunningham Falls Gathering! I've seen you mention a few different trips this summer, and it seems you're going to be as busy as me! I have about a dozen trips planned, 5 of those being Tearjerkers events, a few RallyCross events at New Jersey Motorsports Park (camping at the track), a few trips boondocking in Northern PA, and a beach trip.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 am

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:14 am

bobhenry wrote:Careful what you ask for......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Disco-Ball-Mirror-Discoball-Car-Decor-/200701501398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebabddfd6

Dammit Bob. Now I'm going to have to go find some 12V UV blacklights, and maybe a few strobes. :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Worked on the galley a little today. Went to pick up a few boards to make a bread shelf similar to the one in my last teardrop. While wandering the aisles, I came across some sweet cabinet hinges that are PERFECT for what I wanted to do.

Got the wood cut and started moving it into position.

These are the hinges. They are spring loaded and either hold the door open or closed. At only $3.49 each, they were cheaper than my original plan of using a continuous piano hinge, and now I don't even need latches.

Door open

Door closed 8)

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Great job Zack! You are doing a fine job. Can't wait to see the finished trailer.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Without a latch, there is an acceration you could (theoretically) hit that would make your loaf of bread pop the door open. Can the Subaru do it? :twisted:

How do you like the gigantic twist ties? I saw a box of them at the store for $10 and thought about it.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:28 am

Kharn wrote:Without a latch, there is an acceration you could (theoretically) hit that would make your loaf of bread pop the door open. Can the Subaru do it? :twisted:

How do you like the gigantic twist ties? I saw a box of them at the store for $10 and thought about it.

What is the formula for the acceleration coefficient of a loaf of Italian bread when in tow behind a Subaru?! May need to run some numbers to be sure. :lol:

If the gigantic twist ties you're referring to are the blue things in my pictures, they are actually just plastic wire loom that I got to protect/hide some of the wiring on the trailer. Not sure I've ever seen the twist ties you speak of. :thinking:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:31 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:What is the formula for the acceleration coefficient of a loaf of Italian bread when in tow behind a Subaru?!

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 am

parnold wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:What is the formula for the acceleration coefficient of a loaf of Italian bread when in tow behind a Subaru?!

What do you mean?! An African or European swallow?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:
parnold wrote:

What do you mean?! An African or European swallow?

I don't know that.. aaaaAAAAAARrrrrrrr

Looking real good Zach!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:19 pm

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Paul

Did some more wiring last night. Identified and labeled all the 12VDC wires running to the galley. And did a little organization. Once its all said and done, wires will be tacked down and zip-tied.

Also ran the wires for the tail/brake lights that are mounted in the hatch. I used a 4-pole connector so that I can just unplug them if I ever need to remove the hatch. The connector will be tucked away, and wires covered with plastic wire loom.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals