Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:43 am

i just checked the return schedule, and it shows that we may be receiving the refund on wednesday. so that means if it does show up then, i will be out looking before saturday. i know i will never beable to wait to start my searching. :lol:

i am going to be a mess for the next 3 days.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Best calm down and start thinking clearly about what it is you need EXACTLY ... :thinking: Shop around !!!! ;)
Now that you are an experienced Foamie builder and traveller , make a list of everything you need and intend to bring ... and how many people (+dog (s) ) you plan to sleep in it .. Design accordingly !! Do NOT be impulsive and just buy the first cute thing that comes along ... SHOP !!! You Ladies do that well naturally eh ? :R
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Louella,

You're going to build another foamie right? What is the plan for this one?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:16 pm

glen, i am not a paitent person. so there are times i am very impulsive!

yes mike, another foamie. while i love my original one, i would like to go a tiny bit wider, longer(maybe).
glen has done a drawing or two, that i may try to pull off. but nothing is in stone yet. about the only thing i am pretty sure about is that i am going with a back door, no side doors.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 pm

wow, norther tool isn't showing any trailers now. harbor frieght and northern tool are out? this might not be a good thing, as it may make local suppliers raise prices.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Look around in your area for an outfit that sells prebuilt trailers and you will find some good deals that will be much better made and already have jack on the tongue larger better tires and a deck already built on the trailer. You could then do a very thin light sandwich floor on the bottom and then go foam on up and over everything.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:26 pm

PATIENCE, Eagle !!!!! :roll: Now that you have all this time , you might want to investigate something better than a Chinese trailer ... perhaps made in the USA , or locally ... you live in an area of ........ that has a LOT of boats ... probably trailers all over the place ... Just shopping on the net alone will not result in any Good deals for your money ... Check locally ... Craigslist . boat places , newspaper ads ... as you recall (or not) my first TD was built on a quite Sturdy USA Boat trailer that I got for a pittance ($350 ) ...

:thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Just so you know harbor freight trailers are chinese but the ones at tractor supply are made in the usa by carryon trailer company and I think that northern are as well but not totally sure about it. Find your closest tractor supply and drop in on them and see what they have in stock. But you will have the 12" crap tires and no jack same as harbor freight if you go that route.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Steve , I see you live just north of Austin ... been through that area many times on the way to Brownwood where we “hadâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:39 pm

we have 2 tractor supplies within driving distance. there is also some off the road place. they always have trailers and truck cab toppers.

now what about lowes trailers? the good, bad and ugly?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:18 pm

[quote="GPW"]Steve , I see you live just north of Austin ... been through that area many times on the way to Brownwood where we “hadâ€
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

eaglesdare wrote:glen, i am not a paitent person. so there are times i am very impulsive!

yes mike, another foamie. while i love my original one, i would like to go a tiny bit wider, longer(maybe).
glen has done a drawing or two, that i may try to pull off. but nothing is in stone yet. about the only thing i am pretty sure about is that i am going with a back door, no side doors.

Well, after eyeballing your current trailer, I think a Modernistic would be perfect. 5' wide. 10' long. Foam!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:33 pm

linux: eastern shore of va. pocomoke city md, is the biggest city around. LOL

i do see tractor supply has a 6x8 and a 5x10. will go check them out. must find out their weights though.

why don't they post the weights of these trailers?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:07 pm

To get the weight download the manual for that trailer and it is listed inside the specs in the manual.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Here's a manufacturer in your area and a list of their dealers pick one that is closest to you. You are close to DC norfolk and baltimore as well and of course your cost of living in that area is "well lets say I'm glad its you and not me" lol.

http://www.holmestrailers.com/dealers.php#va
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies