CAMPGROUND RATINGS

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby eveningprimrose » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:16 pm

We drove past the entrance to Piney, but didn't go through there. We did go through several other campgrounds and there wasn't one where we wouldn't have stayed. You'll have a great time!

Note...if anyone in your group drinks beer, buy it before you get there...most of the counties in that area are "dry"! :o
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:02 am

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby iplay10us2 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:19 am

sdtripper2 wrote:RV Park Reviews Click Here

We are really looking for forum member's personal reviews here, but thanks for the link.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 am

iplay10us2 wrote:

We are really looking for forum member's personal reviews here, but thanks for the link.

?? Wah? That ONE link has the bottom line information and more of it (with personal reviews) that this thread is trying to provide. Who cares if the folks reviewing are not teardrop owners and members of this forum?

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Camping ratings

Postby Rlowell » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:25 pm

:thumbsup: One of our favorite places is Ft. Desoto near to St. Pete. in Florida. It is a county run park with great facilities.
North beach is close by (ranked number 1 several times with Gulf water and WHITE sand) They have boat ramps in the camp grounds, camp store, bicycle rentals, camp on the waterway or not, facilities for tent to full size RV's. CLEAN restrooms with hot and cold water and washing machines. Plenty of things to do for the kids as well. They are located on an island (Key) that is secluded yet near to the city. Google Fort Desoto for a great camping experience. :thumbsup:
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Cathedral Gorge NV

Postby nevadatear » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:38 pm

State park in southeastern Nevada. Almost to the Utah state line. Camped there on our way to Zion and Bryce in April of 2010.
PROS: Well kept, new sites. Unique "lantern hook" at each campsite by the table. Ramadas over the table for shade. Free showers! Warm heated bathrooms with electric inside bathrooms. Beautiful scenery, like a small Bryce and Zion. $17. Free wood when available. BBQ and fire pit both.
CON: Really windy when we were there, so didn't enjoy it as we could. Open campground with little wind break, or trees. (Nevada desert) Small campground, only 20 sites, but is off the beaten path and only two other campers where there when we were. A little more expensive than some state campgrounds, but hot free showers!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:09 pm

I don't think I'd recommend this campground (any more)

What a MESS. :shock:

It's real tragedy to say the least. Hard to imagine.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:54 pm

Most of the camping areas on the central coast of California are good.
http://www.slostateparks.com/morro_bay/default.asp
Because of the state and it's crisis state parks are more expensive but most are nice. Oddly the KOA at Santa Magrarita is just bare ground and a pool the park is much better. But the coastal parks are good. The brand new KOA in pismo was a mineral hot springs resort before.
Mantana De Oro is small and offers fluch toilets but no showers. A simpla walk to the Pacific it oddly is the biggist state park but when you are in it you do not realize it's size.
Morro Bay State Park newly redone more expensive to stay at offers new showers and jons. Galf course near by. Bird sancuary.
Camping blow Hurst Castle offers the Pacific on one side and the castle in the hills across from hwy 1 http://www.hearstcastle.org/
Sometimes it is hard to live in an area where everyonce else visits.
:thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 pm

The last weekend in July, I stayed at Tishimingo State Park in northeast Mississippi (about 45 miles from Tupelo, MS). The park has been neglected for a while; but the state is currently putting in $$$ and upgrading many of the facilities. The electric and water sites all have blacktop approaches and concrete pads. Due to the terrain, some are on the smaller side. Price is $18 a night for electric and water ($13 for senior citizens). $13 for primitive camping. Until work is completed, the rest rooms and showers are adequate.

I apologize for not taking any pictures of the actual campsites. If you like hiking, the trails are fantastic and the natural rock formations are awesome.

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff16 ... ishimingo/
tinksdad
500 Club

Related thread with SD tripper list of campground rec's

Postby tearhead » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:47 pm

There's another thread with similar info that you may be interested in:

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Kurt from Indiana started it off and many forum members added campground recommendations. Then SD Tripper created a list in there. Not sure why that thread hasn't been "stickied." It's a good one too, like this one.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby LGwin » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:56 am

Great Campsite!

San Juan NF outside Rico CO.

Right on the river, well kept and roomy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... o,+CO&z=15
Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a teardrop. -annon
LGwin
Donating Member

Postby hoytedow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:56 am

Hey, Cajun Lady!
Have you camped at Ft DeSoto County Park in Pinellas County at southern end on Mullet Key?

It is pricey at $35 per night but there are back-in and drive-through sites with shade, water and electric. The pavilions and accommodations are great. There is a Spanish-American War vintage fort on the key. The park has a fine boat ramp on the Gulf of Mexico and 2 fishing piers. Bicycles are popular but stay off the sand-spurs or you'll have flat tires. The beach is also very popular and gets a lot of visitors and also has nice facilities. Just south of Mullet Key you will find Egmont Key which has remains of another fort of same era. The Mullet Key/Egmont Key line form the boundary between Gulf and Tampa Bay.
Last edited by hoytedow on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy trails,
Hoyt
hoytedow
Teardrop Master

Postby stumphugger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 am

I think I'm onto something. I went to a festival to the west of here. Hotel rooms started at $100. The state park was full. I camped at the fairgrounds for $15 a night. It was crowded, but people were quiet for the most part. I could have my dog along. There was a large building with showers, sinks and toilets, which were fairly clean. I saw another teardrop there. I parked in the tent area--no hookups.

I liked it, because I wasn't there to camp, I was there for the town festival.
The fair people said they have never turned anybody away, except they do at county fair time.

I may try one to the south later on. A friend wants me to come down for some volunteer work, and their place is not good for trailer parking.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 am

hoytedow wrote:Hey, Cajun Lady!
Have you camped at Ft DeSoto County Park in Pinellas County at southern end on Mullet Key?

It is pricey at $35 per night but there are back-in and drive-through sites with shade, water and electric. The pavilions and accommodations are great. There is a Spanish-American vintage fort on the key. The park has a fine boat ramp on the Gulf of Mexico and 2 fishing piers. Bicycles are popular but stay off the sand-spurs or you'll have flat tires. The beach is also very popular and gets a lot of visitors and also has nice facilities. Just south of Mullet Key you will find Egmont Key which has remains of another fort of same era. The Mullet Key/Egmont Key line form the boundary between Gulf and Tampa Bay.

Hi Hoyt!

Yes I've camped at Ft. Desoto a few times and you are right about it being pricey! It's over $40 with tax...a little rich for my blood.

But it is a really nice place to camp, IF you can get a campsite! The snowbirds slam that place down and make it difficult to get a weekend in. The beaches are beautiful! Love their beaches and picnic areas. I've never been to Egmont Key but heard how pretty it is out there.

The boat ramp is top-notch! I used it many times to go crabbing.

If only it wasn't so pricey, but it's always packed so people are willing to pay the price.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Chippokes state park VA

Postby albion2 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:43 pm

This park is across the James River with a free ferry to Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg.Also near by Yorktown.There is museum on site and the rest rooms a super clean, The sites are large and they also have a wooded more primitive area.It even has proper poles to hang your lamp on.Many old buildings are located in the park. The park is located on the James river.[/img]
albion2
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets