My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:26 pm

cool - just be sure to check those fittings for leaks once you have them installed :D
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby parnold » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:37 pm

I cleaned up the stovetop today, and it came out almost perfect, just a couple light rust stains that didn't come out. I'm afraid of scratching the porcelain and it will be mostly hidden by the grates so I'm leaving it for now. Unfortunately the fold down top cover is in pretty lousy shape. Lots of scratches with rust showing through, so I'll take it to one of my friends and have some paint made to match, sand it, and repaint it. I'll have them write down the formula for the paint, so if I decide to use that color on the outside lower section, they can make it easily.

I spent some time working on the frame. No pictures but.. I got the propane tank off, the black pipe removed (it was full of black goo) and I removed and ground down all the screws that had held the flooring down. I also managed to loosen up all four corner jacks, though a couple will take a little more work until fully functional.

On the back corner, the lower weld is broken, so the bumper flexes up and down. I had my welder look at it today, and he said "no problem".
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Sandblasting in the dark is not much fun, and doesn't make for good pictures either. :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Sandblasting in 20 degree weather is anything but a blast! Hopefully pictures coming soon of my furnace vent, blasted and painted!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:55 pm

When you get the old furnace fired up, I suggest getting someone to run a CO2 test on it, , the old gravity furnaces are great, but age does its toll on metal parts.
I condem around 4 rv furnaces a year for CO2
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:10 pm

I was planning on a battery operated co monitor, would this be good? I would probably do the first test in the driveway, with me peeking in the window. Even with a vented heat source, I would always have a window open.

If there is that much of a chance of this thing leaking, I would want to build a test box or something before I go through all the trouble of mounting it in my trailer.
Last edited by parnold on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:19 pm

A CO monitor is a must in any trailer, and is what I used before buying a $600 tester, if it does not trigger a wall mounted tester you should be good, the old grav furnaces were awesome for dry camping, to bad no one builds them anymore
Do a thorough visual on the furnace and pipeing for rust, , some surface rust is normal, and remember, gas preasure will affect CO, 11 inches water colum on the gas.. A full box test is not neccesary, isolating exhaust from the front of furnace and placing CO2 meter in front of furnace should be adequate, i start to investigate further at 9 PPm of CO2, 14PPM and I condem
I'm lookin for a good one for my build, so I'm not saying they are bad, just use caution
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby parnold » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Have I mentioned how much I hate the cold weather?

All I have accomplished is sandblasting and painting the grill for the furnace. No pictures either. :(

I have been buying supplies. I have both windows, I have both hatches (one for slide out kitchen and one to vent the air conditioner. I have the foam for the seats, and I found some material. I have reading lights for over the bed, and sconces for the opposite wall. I bought new tires.

I sent in to Maine for my registration and plate.

The only thing I have in the way of pictures, it the cookie cutter design for my side walls.

If anyone has a heated garage they'd like to tow down to my property, I'd be much obliged. :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:21 am

Sounds like you're at least headed in the right direction Paul. Collect those parts and keep planning as much of the build as you can. When it comes time to build, then you should be able to really pick up the pace.

Nice work with the cookie cutter layouts!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks Zach, looking forward to sharing a beer or three around a campfire this year with you.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:41 pm

So I've been searching for a graphic for my trailer, and found something close to what I wanted. After a few hours of doctoring, I came up with this:

I spent several hours yesterday sandblasting, and didn't even quite finish the three wheels. The ceramic nozzle in my borrowed blaster is disintegrating so I have two more on order from sears.

I also have decided I am going to order a blasting hood, and get a tyvek paint suit from work. I felt like Pigpen from Charlie Brown yesterday when I was done.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:34 pm

Pretty aggressive raptor for the gentle art of camping, don't you think?

:)
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby Trackstriper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Paul...your graphic reminded me of a video a friend sent last week. Eagle owl, serious concentration and control.

http://www.dogwork.com/owfo8/
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:05 pm

That Owl meant business!
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby parnold » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm

This week I ordered a CO monitor, tail lights, and an 80 watt solar panel. I can't believe how cheap solar panels have gotten. $144.00 including shipping. I remember it wasn't that long ago that the $150.00 for the Harbor Freight 45 Watt was a good deal. I'll be on the lookout now for a charge controller.

Maybe someone can tell me, is there an all-in-one package that can handle both solar, and 120 volt charging systems? I'm also researching the WFCO 65 amp charger/converter.

I've seen lot's of inexpensive solar charge controllers. PWM's run just under 40 bucks. I don't need anything particularly fancy, just something that will work.
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals